Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:00 PM

42,081 posts, read 75,599,096 times

Advertisements

I agree. One battle at a time. Wholesale reform is just too much for Pennsylvania folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,454,501 times
I suppose I will never see progress on this issue in my lifetime. PA is the most backward, restrictive, puritanical, inconvenient, consumer-unfriendly state in the country when it comes to sales of any type of alcoholic beverage.

If I want to get a few six-packs of a variety of beers, I have to find a place that sells six-packs -- a bar or pizza shop or wherever. As I sit here in my house, I cannot think of a place nearby that I'd be able to buy a six-pack.

If I want a case of beer, I have to go to a beer distributorship. They're not on every corner either. Plus, I have to go to yet ANOTHER place if I want wine or hard liquor.

Speaking of wine or hard liquor, I have to go to a State Store if I want those. There's only one in my town, and no other ones for miles around. If I'm on my way to a BYOB event and it's after 9 PM, forget it. If it's Sun. and I need a bottle of wine on my way to a dinner party, forget it. If I need help selecting a wine, forget it. If I want a bottle of wine before a major holiday, forget it -- it's out of stock, the shelves are wiped out. Nevermind that the holidays come at the same time every year....maybe someone should be anticipating a large demand?

When I lived in CA, I could go to any supermarket at any time of day and get anything I wanted. I suppose people will say, "But CA is broke and PA gets good revenue from the State Stores". Whatever. I just find it much easier to go to DE and so do many other Pennsylvanians.

There was got to be a way of bringing this antiquated system into the 20th (!) century.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM

10,236 posts, read 16,892,765 times
for what it's worth, prior to the 20th century the laws were much more open and consumer friendly

Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM

42,081 posts, read 75,599,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
If I want to get a few six-packs of a variety of beers, I have to find a place that sells six-packs -- a bar or pizza shop or wherever. As I sit here in my house, I cannot think of a place nearby that I'd be able to buy a six-pack.
And good finding anything more exotic than Bud Light or Yuengling. Oh, maybe you'll find Molson Golden or Amstel Light on occasion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
for what it's worth, prior to the 20th century the laws were much more open and consumer friendly
As my mom used to say: That and a dime will get you a cup of coffee.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Pennsylvania appears to be the only state in which you have to go to three different places to get a bottle of wine, a case of Bud, and a six-pack of Corona. It's the stupidest system -- I see no logic in it whatsoever.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 AM

4,132 posts, read 2,463,566 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania appears to be the only state in which you have to go to three different places to get a bottle of wine, a case of Bud, and a six-pack of Corona. It's the stupidest system -- I see no logic in it whatsoever.
You are preaching to the choir. I usually get my beer, liquor, etc. from Jersey since I am near the border

Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,795,095 times
Quote:
Maybe this is the way the system is set up, to discourage drinking. That would be a logical conclusion. After all, there is not one living soul that NEEDS alcoholic beverages. They are merely a "want" for many people... a "want" which often turns into overuse, which makes for a whole host of ills. After all, the state expends who knows how much money & who knows how many resources on alcohol-related offenses (drunk driving, criminal acts, etc)... so why shouldn't the state be the entity getting the income from alcoholic beverage sales? Fair's fair, in the end. I don't advocate big government but for those of you who want the state liquor sales system privatized, how would you feel about the privatization of the law enforcement that keeps alcohol overindulgers under some degree of control?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 AM

10,236 posts, read 16,892,765 times
Whod want a case of bud anyway? ; )
Making consumption difficult is the point of the system...the problem is that it doesnt work. Our states abuse rates arent dramatically different...and why would the state want people to consume less since its also a revenue source?? Nobody is talking about privatizing law enforcement

Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,878,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And good finding anything more exotic than Bud Light or Yuengling. Oh, maybe you'll find Molson Golden or Amstel Light on occasion ...

Wegmans. They have a great selection of microbrews. But before they started selling beer, it was tough to even find a 6 pack of Guinness. Now that Wegmans sells beer, I tend to stay away from places that also sell 40 ouncers.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Whod want a case of bud anyway? ; )
Making consumption difficult is the point of the system...the problem is that it doesnt work. Our states abuse rates arent dramatically different...and why would the state want people to consume less since its also a revenue source?? Nobody is talking about privatizing law enforcement
Right....the system (I believe) is a hold-over from the post-Prohibition era and the Quaker influence on Pennsylvania liquor laws. I've heard that same old tired argument from the anti-privatization lobby -- "do you want liquor stores on every corner?". Well, yes I do! It would certainly be a heck of a lot easier on me. And really, people will just go to NJ and DE to stores that are more convenient and user-friendly, so what's the point, PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania