Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:41 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She's an adult.

She has a legal right to leave the house whenever she wants.

She has a legal right to have a boyfriend over to the house whenever she wants.

If you don't want her to have those rights, don't let her live with you---and she can have those rights elsewhere.

It's silly when parents try to impose rules on adult children.

You either let them be adults or you let them move. To keep them home and try to treat them like children is ridiculous.
My daughter moved back home two years ago after being in a bad car wreck. After recovering she went back for her masters. She is 25 and she has three jobs while being in school, she can come and go as she pleases.

The only rule I have is that if she does not come home is to call me.

She does have rules though. She has to keep her room clean, her clothes washed, cleanup behind herself after cooking, cleaning the bathroom, etc. But as far as coming and going, she can do what she wants, she's an adult.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
As a parents, I've never been able to sleep until my three were back home. I would probably crack under the pressure of not knowing if my daughter was home or not. LOL

That's why I make my daughter call if shes not coming home.

busta

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
The only rule I have is that if she does not come home is to call me.

She does have rules though. She has to keep her room clean, her clothes washed, cleanup behind herself after cooking, cleaning the bathroom, etc. But as far as coming and going, she can do what she wants, she's an adult.
All my mother asked was for me to be home before sunrise. She was worried about what the neighbors would think if they saw me coming home at 7am. This rule didn't hinder my life. If I needed to get ready for work, I had to be home by 5am to have enough time to shower and dress anyway. If I had clothes with me, I simply didn't come home.

The other rules weren't rules because they were taught to me as a teenager---clean up after yourself and always let me know where you are and who you are with. Letting people know where you are and who you are with is for safety. Even adults should let other adults know this information. If you disappear, SOMEONE needs to be able to give that information to the police.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 PM

177 posts, read 471,523 times
teenagers and young adults are going to have sex if they want to. theres nothing you can do to stop them. you just have to let them know not to get caught by one of your younger kids cause theyll think its ok to act without consequence like her. shes older, let it be.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,244,518 times
My immediate concerns were with your own safety and liability. You are responsible for what happens in your house when she is a legal tenant, which she is as an adult member of the household. If you have her sign a lease before you all move in, you can avoid some of the problems that you anticipate, and you will have the ability to have her move out if things don't go well.

I would also put a deadbolt lock on her interior bedroom door so that if she leaves her exterior door unlocked, no one will be able to use her room to enter your living quarters.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,980,426 times
It sounds like the OP doesn't think she would leave it unlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting