Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 19,103 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother to two children, a boy(15, 16 in July) and a girl(20, 21 in August). The girl won't be moving out until a little after May of next year due to P.O.S.T Academy.

We are moving soon and have been looking at houses and have found the one, its a 4bdr 4bth spacious house, a little outside of city limits, you could literally be in one place of the house and not even know where the others in the house were. It's THAT big and spread out.

We went out and looked at it today and the kids and I are in love with it and they have already picked out which rooms are theirs etc.

What concerns me is the room my daughter picked out.
The room is a master bedroom, which there are two master bedrooms, the house is renovated so the second and main and biggest master bedroom is upstairs. Its not the fact that its a master bedroom because this room is designed as a teenagers room, pink paint and decor etc, Its the fact that it has its own bathroom en suite and it also has its own door out of the house.

She already stays in her room 100% of the time she is home. Has a mini fridge in her room. She basically stays cooped up in there and never comes out.
She has already expressed in her own words said, "I NEVER have to share a bathroom EVER again and you guys will hardly ever see me."

I worry that if she had the bathroom en suite and all of her things in her room (mini fridge, laptop, tv, cell phone, radio, iPod, etc) that she'll never come out unless its to eat or go down to the basement to wash her laundry.

Second. The door to the outside. The room is in a very secluded part of the house away from everything else.
She already frequently leaves on short notice to go to a friends party, crash at a friends place etc...
And I know she dates etc.

So my concerns are her leaving without letting me know, with such ease of access or having guys over in her room, it could all happen so easily.

So to wrap it up my concerns are
1. Her never leaving her room, except when absolutely necessary.
2. Leaving late at night or middle of the night to go out.
3. Her bringing her boyfriend in.

Like I said, this room is on the far end of the house, you won't be able to know what goes on or be able to hear anything over there unless you take a trip to that side of the house...which I highly doubt will happen.

Other key points:
This is the house we are choosing, we're set.
There are no other rooms she could take. The other rooms are smaller and do no have an en suite bathroom and that should go to her and not a 15 year old boy. (Who I know won't want a pink room.)

She is 20 after all and will be 21 in August.
Should I worry and set some rules?
Or should I just let her be as long as she isn't being loud at night and I remain oblivious as to what *could* be going on?

Would you set any rules?
What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 PM

She is a responsible girl.
Doesn't drink away from home.
Would never drink and drive.
She had good friends.
She is going into law enforcement.
She doesn't do drugs.
She is a very smart and bright girl.

She just loves her independence. She has been wanting a room like this for the longest time and would love the en suite bathroom and the "space" and "independence" of this kind of set up away from everything. She wants to be able to leave and not disturb anyone, which I am glad she is considerate. I know she wouldn't be leaving to go get into any trouble but she does like to go out late and stay out late and she does get quite a bit boy crazy.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,779,460 times
Let her have the room- she is an adult. You can certainly make house rules (such as no boyfriends overnight, if that bothers you), but at her age she could jsut as easily live in an apartment away from home and you'd see her even less.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Like I said.
With the positioning/area of the room, I wouldn't even know if she had a boy over.
And she could easily slip anyone in and out of the room without a peep.
So even if I were to come to the door, anyone could slip out without a sound.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 PM

436 posts, read 1,525,561 times
Well if she's 20 almost 21 she could easily just move out and have boys sleep over.

My biggest concern would be with her making sure that she doesn't leave the outside door unlocked all the time. You don't want people just coming and going out of your house. What if she meets a boy and brings him home and he is to spend the night and robs you blind while you sleep.

However, it is your house, so it is your rules.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,836,204 times
State your rules, and if she breaks them, remove the door and finish the wall, if practical.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,233,618 times
She's an adult.

She has a legal right to leave the house whenever she wants.

She has a legal right to have a boyfriend over to the house whenever she wants.

If you don't want her to have those rights, don't let her live with you---and she can have those rights elsewhere.

It's silly when parents try to impose rules on adult children.

You either let them be adults or you let them move. To keep them home and try to treat them like children is ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,952,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TEEN&YA View Post
Like I said.
With the positioning/area of the room, I wouldn't even know if she had a boy over.
And she could easily slip anyone in and out of the room without a peep.
So even if I were to come to the door, anyone could slip out without a sound.
21 year olds are not boys. They are men. Why would she have to hide a boyfriend from you? She is an adult.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,937,165 times
She could be living on her own, but instead she has given you a compliment. She has chosen your companionship. Don't throw that in her face. If you do, it will define your relationship with your daughter forever.

And practically speaking, what do you really think a bunch of rules will accomplish? It's not like you can ground her if she breaks curfew. Don't waste your energy.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM

731 posts, read 1,582,496 times
Sounds like your main concern is her having young men sleeping over and you not being able to catch them in there. Have a talk with her, ask her if she is on birth control, would be my suggestion. I would also have the "rule" that she does not leave out her door without locking it. She at least owes you that security measure since she has that room. Otherwise, don't hunt boogers because they are out there
Enjoy your new home with your children, they won't be there forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting