Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:40 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,661,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
My daughter is 29 months, and is just now having a large vocabulary (can't understand her well though!). Has had HUGE increases in vocabulary in the last couple months. Still won't say "granny"...whom the owner of that name is very upset!
She's following the exact same path my son did....
Had the same thing here w/my mom. Son would NOT call her Grammy, Granny, or whatever. Her name is Shirley and he now calls her Shoo-Shoo much to our delight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:35 PM

137 posts, read 436,182 times
MsB23,

Now is the time you should be teaching your child baby sign language so he will learn the basics of languages even before he can speak!

You can invent signs or get them from a book. However getting them from a book would be better so he can"talk" to other children who have been taught the signs from the same book.

The signs are all logical and easy to learn. Give it a try!

Lastly, at 16 months you shouldn't worry anyway. Your child is not behind! You shouldn't worry at all, not in the least bit!

My 15 month old talks "nonsensically" but she only does that because both of her parents talk too much!!!!!!!!!:-)

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 608,049 times
Default Oh man...

Well, I thought I'd update you guys on this one...

My son seems to be trying more to talk, at least I think he is. His babble is diversifying, anyway. I'm trying very hard to reinforce the signs I've already taught him, as well as telling him what things are when he points to them...over & over again.

...BUT...

He did have some success last weekend.

Irishmom, you warned me...

I was leaning into the blocked off space behind his crib where I keep his dirty laundry (boy, there sure is a lot of that...) with my back turned to the room. My BF sneaks up behind me (what is it with guys sneaking up & scaring the crap out of people???? jeez) & soundly smacks me on my butt. Of course, I jump & shriek & one little word sneaks out by accident...

After I have given my BF the requisite dirty look & smooth my ruffled feathers, I hear my son merrily chanting "uck! uck!" while he's digging through his toys. Damn. Er, I mean, dang.

Maybe I need my own V-chip. I've tried to re-direct him to duck! duck! but I don't know if it's working. *sigh*

Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsB23 View Post
Well, I thought I'd update you guys on this one...

My son seems to be trying more to talk, at least I think he is. His babble is diversifying, anyway. I'm trying very hard to reinforce the signs I've already taught him, as well as telling him what things are when he points to them...over & over again.

...BUT...

He did have some success last weekend.

Irishmom, you warned me...

I was leaning into the blocked off space behind his crib where I keep his dirty laundry (boy, there sure is a lot of that...) with my back turned to the room. My BF sneaks up behind me (what is it with guys sneaking up & scaring the crap out of people???? jeez) & soundly smacks me on my butt. Of course, I jump & shriek & one little word sneaks out by accident...

After I have given my BF the requisite dirty look & smooth my ruffled feathers, I hear my son merrily chanting "uck! uck!" while he's digging through his toys. Damn. Er, I mean, dang.

Maybe I need my own V-chip. I've tried to re-direct him to duck! duck! but I don't know if it's working. *sigh*
HA Ha!..LMAO!!!! Ok when mine did that word (which he did not get from me but a cousin who is nine years older and has no verbal control) thankfully it sounded much more like "truck" than what it was...so until he stopped saying it I kept handing him toy trucks until he stopped...LOL He didn't understand why I kept handing him toy trucks, but I'm pretty sure no one outside of my husband and the cousin (who honestly was sorry about it and did manage to clean up his act in our house anyway) knew what the real deal was. Kids are great, they will get you every time!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:22 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,661,388 times
Great update MsB! So very funny! You too Irish. I ate alot of Irish Spring growing up and I dare say mine will too. Still a potty mouth though lol. I was frustrated one day and let one slip out. Little guy says "Don't call me Da*#it! That's not my name!" Whew.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 608,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Great update MsB! So very funny! You too Irish. I ate alot of Irish Spring growing up and I dare say mine will too. Still a potty mouth though lol. I was frustrated one day and let one slip out. Little guy says "Don't call me Da*#it! That's not my name!" Whew.
ROFL! They are sharp little buggers, aren't they!

I should probably just keep some soap-on-a-rope around my neck to cope with my vocabulary...

Honestly, I don't care about the language he uses, per se, it's just that he needs to be old enough to learn when there will be bad consequences if he uses certain words. There's a time & place for things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting