Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,833,725 times

Advertisements

I will admit to being rather liberal as to what I allow my kids to watch on TV. They are very active during the day and spend hours outside in the backyard playing. However, at night and on weekend mornings we all enjoy a little veg out in front of the TV for some cartoons. During the week it is post dinner and before bath/story/bed. On the weekends, I try to let my wife sleep in and we all pile onto the couch and eat our cereal together.

My son is the oldest at 5 and my daughters are 19 months and 4 months, so my son gets to pretty much rule the TV selection after the mandatory Sesame Street or Yo Gabba Gabba for my oldest daughter after which she usually heads off to play.

We generally watch whatever is popular. His favorites are SpongeBob, Fanboy and Chum Chum, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Transformers and Avatar. I have to admit that I am probably just as in to them as he is and even DVR Star Wars and Transformers for him as they are on at odd times.

We usually joke with each other about the shows and the other day during SpongeBob, SpongeBob made a comment that "I should have made a left at Albuquerque". I was howling on the couch remembering the old Bugs Bunny bit and my son was staring at me like "what's so funny about Albuquerque?".

So, I have no endeavored to teach my son about the "classics"; Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Daffy Duck, Roadrunner, Marvin the Martian, Tom and Jerry etc. I went out and bought some DVD's and we have started watching them together.

Outside of a couple knocks on the scrolling backgrounds he was really into them and was actually very interested when I was telling him how the old cartoons were drawn by hand while the new ones are generally made on computers. This led to us making little stick figure flip books so he could see how it works.

So, anyone else out there enjoy the occasional cartoon with their kid and most importantly have any of you tried to introduce them to the "classics".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM

705 posts, read 1,763,802 times
absolutely, we own 2 loony toons collections, 2 muppet show collections, and we also watch 60s and 70s movies like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, etc. our local libraries also have these.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,928,710 times
We have the looney toons collection too. They love the dancing singing frog one. And the Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde one (not sure what the real name is).

I am still hunting for the one where BB tries to take the lost penguin home and keeps running into the man who says "can you help out a fellow American who is down on his luck?" and the one with his "old pal Mugsy" with the mobsters in it.

Editing to say I just discovered the names of the episodes

http://looneytunes.wikia.com/wiki/Bugs_and_Thugs (with Mugsy)

and "8 Ball Bunny" (with the Humphrey Bogart character).

Last edited by lisdol; 03-23-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,707,967 times
My daughter is 16. For YEARS she has complained that all cartoons these days have to carry some sort of message or lesson instead of just being funny like they used to be. She has seen some of the old stuff and thinks they are hilarious and entertaining. She also appreciates the total lack of PC in the old ones and how they were made to be fun to watch.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM

108 posts, read 509,660 times
My kids are grown now, but even their cartoons were different than what I grew up with. We had a lovely time introducing them not only to Looney Toons but also some of the really old classics -- remember Sniffles?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

821 posts, read 2,043,255 times
Yes My son loves Tom and Jerry, Lonney toons and garfield. His most recent obsession is the Thundercats..LOL he's 3 years old

Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 PM

758 posts, read 1,877,201 times
I've got at least 60 Loony Tunes episodes on the DVR and probably more than 100 Tom and Jerrys. My kids love them. Watching them watch the cartoon is hilarious. They laugh out loud through the whole thing.

How many times can Tom's face turn into a fry pan shape and still be funny? Apparently there is no limit!

I had to get some of the Mickey Mouse DVDs because they don't show those ones on TV anymore. They also like Chip and Dale and of course Donald Duck.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:30 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,968,953 times
My youngest child loves the original Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, Johnny quest, The Flintstones, The Jetsons and the Pink Panther cartoons. I enjoy cartoons (yes even at 33) with my kids. It's a great way for us to spend some time together hanging out and laughing. I even enjoy some of the new cartoons like Avatar, As Told By Ginger and Chowder.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
ODS absolutely loves The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, Looney Toons, Popeye and Tom & Jerry. Oh Pink Panther too!

I do think alot of children's cartoons today are way too much into pandering and teaching a lesson.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,786,129 times
My kids are 5 and 6 and their favorites right now are Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry. My daughter recently discovered Garfield and likes it too.
They also like Looney Tunes...DS saw one once, and thenkept asking for the cat who has a little chick...DH and I sat there thinking and finally I realized...Sylvester and Tweety Bird! He'd recently seen Chicken Little so he automatically assumed Tweety was a chick, too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting