Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,948,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I think if they are over 18 months and can walk and talk it's too old...but that's just me. I know it takes some longer than others to wean, but when the kid is a full blown toddler I don't think they need to be nursing anymore, just like I wouldn't expect to see a bottle in a child's mouth after that time either.
You mean nursing at all? Or nursing in public? I hope to nurse my daughter until at least age 2 as per WHO and AAFP recommendations, but at some point she won't be nursing often enough or need it "on demand" that she needs to nurse in public any more. I don't know exactly when that will be though. She's certainly not ready now though at 12 months. She's still nursing at least 6 times a day!

Quote:
Nipple confusion so does exist, I can't believe your physician doesn't believe that. It's more about the ease of drinking from a bottle. Babies are no dummies...it's a lot more work for them to nurse from a breast that the milk has to be drawn out of then to just sort of sip from a bottle (much less effort and if they stop sucking the milk will still drip out in their mouths with no effort at all!) so if they get a bottle too early or too often they definitely figure that out and don't want the breast because of it. It has been shown though that after a few months on the breast that babies will go to either, but this still isn't true for all babies.
Yes, this is an example of when docs don't have the correct info about BF and therefore give bad advice to their patients that could be detrimental to their BF success, like what I was talking about in the other thread. My doc said a baby will take either one that is presented if she is hungry. Not true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:40 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,844,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
You mean nursing at all? Or nursing in public? I hope to nurse my daughter until at least age 2 as per WHO and AAFP recommendations, but at some point she won't be nursing often enough or need it "on demand" that she needs to nurse in public any more. I don't know exactly when that will be though. She's certainly not ready now though at 12 months. She's still nursing at least 6 times a day!

I mean in public only. What people do in their own homes with their own children is up to them. I haven't met any moms that want to go past this point anyway, but one mom in the mall with a kid who may have just been tall for his age (mine are very tall and everyone always thought they were a lot older than they were) was standing up and mom was on a bench with her breast out and the kid nursing off of it...that's just too much for me..kind takes the beauty out of it when the kid can stand there and do it himself. A mom holding their baby and feeding is beautiful but that just wasn't to me. Again it's probably just me, but ewwww.

Yes, this is an example of when docs don't have the correct info about BF and therefore give bad advice to their patients that could be detrimental to their BF success, like what I was talking about in the other thread. My doc said a baby will take either one that is presented if she is hungry. Not true!
As for your doctor this is sad, is he old? All of mine are young and all the ones I work with are young as well so that may be why I haven't run into any misinformation. Now I can tell you that my pediatricians were very supportive of me when I couldn't breast feed and that made me happy, because I was crazy upset by it. At that point if they had done the breastfeeding is better talk I would have lost my mind...so I was glad they didn't, although they knew my medical history so that was probably why...because they have noooo problem telling me if they think I'm doing anything else wrong, or agreeing with me if I think I'm doing something wrong...LOL

Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
As for your doctor this is sad, is he old? All of mine are young and all the ones I work with are young as well so that may be why I haven't run into any misinformation.
No, she isn't old. She's probably in her 30's I would guess. And I go to Duke Pediatrics. You'd think they should know what they are talking about, right? Duke is a pretty well-respected medical institution! Don't get me wrong, I am otherwise pretty happy with my ped. I'm just glad that I know enough about BF independently that I know when she's wrong about it.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,844,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
No, she isn't old. She's probably in her 30's I would guess. And I go to Duke Pediatrics. You'd think they should know what they are talking about, right? Duke is a pretty well-respected medical institution! Don't get me wrong, I am otherwise pretty happy with my ped. I'm just glad that I know enough about BF independently that I know when she's wrong about it.
Well I hope you hit her with your knowledge, because there is no excuse for that.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,289,181 times
As long as the mom is discreet about it I don't have a prob with it. I, myself, wouldn't do it b'c I'm bashful about these kinds of things but I understand a baby has to eat!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 AM

Here is an article from the current Newsweek about this topic.
New Laws to Protect Public Breast Feeding - Newsweek Society - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18999858/site/newsweek/from/ET/ - broken link)

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
Much of the problem seems to be that Americans associate breasts with sex, not milk, and as a result, feel squeamish about public nursing. (While two out of three Americans think breast-feeding is the best way to feed a baby, a quarter say they feel uncomfortable seeing women do it.) In a study for the U.S. government, 48 percent of women said they would feel uncomfortable nursing their own babies in a park, store or mall. "We define breast-feeding as good, and we define breast-feeding as disgusting. We have this split personality about it," says Jacqueline Wolf, associate professor of the history of medicine at Ohio University. Even MySpace has recently removed photographs of mothers nursing their babies.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,923,149 times
Quote:
Even MySpace has recently removed photographs of mothers nursing their babies.
But they leave up all of the $lutty photos of teens (minors!) who want to get drunk and laid. Practice contradiction much, MySpace?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 AM

5,651 posts, read 19,411,494 times
I know that in 2004 Walmart got a lot of unpleasant backlash about hassling a mother who was breastfeeding in their store. They got a customer complaint. They subsequently apologized to the woman.

I notice that NOW they sell lactation supplies! Yeah.

When I was pregnant 10 years ago, they did not even sell maternity clothes. Can you believe it? The store where america's families shop, did NOT sell maternity clothes. They do now.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM

I can't find nursing clothes anywhere! Even maternity stores, like Motherhood Maternity, that carry some supply, only carry a teeny tiny selection. I have to get them online.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM

266 posts, read 1,198,502 times
I never could get the hang of NIP - for me it was a "size" issue... some of you may know what I mean! I always envied the people who could - I think they were a bit smaller and didn't have to hold themselves off the baby's face, if you get my drift. I have to say I am so angry when I hear that people are told not to NIP at the same time as breasts being thrown in everyone's faces in an over sexualized manner in almost any context... yet feeding one's child is somehow unacceptable? Disgusting commentary on our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting