Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,583,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I like the cute little rhymes (see status) and being on "team pink" and all that for fun... BUT, I truly don't care for gender stereotyping and programming at all, in fact was just thinking about this. Deep down, I kind of hope my daughter is not a "girly-girl." I'll bet she's a bookworm and science-obsessed kid like her dad! I am really open-minded about gender stuff, though, and I believe boys can have feminine sides, and girls can have masculine sides, and that's okay. I will nurture whatever creativity my child possesses.

I agree - great attitude BUT have you noticed that every once in awhile - the least girly-girl mom ends up with the most girly-girl daughter and vice-versa...you just never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,350,767 times
My Mom took a lot of pride in being gender neutral and adrogenous and it definitely had an effect on me.....And I admired her a lot. She seemed larger than life to me and very confident and secure inside...but very modest too....In a mis-guided attempt to form an identity of my own....I did go thru a "blonde bombshell stage" as a teen and young adult. But then...it all became super boring and I came back to my roots.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,225,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Somewhere in a book some time ago some "expert" said we shouldn't assign gender roles. WHY??? Girls are Girls and Boys are Boys, it doesn't mean that your daughter can't change the oil in the car or your son can't make dinner.

Stop reading all the "parenting" books and raise your kids on what works for THEM.
I prefer not to assign roles, period-- gender or otherwise. Thus far, my son and daughters have managed to find their own places without a parental shove in a particular direction. Admittedly, my son is the only one who wears anything resembling a skirt on a regular basis-- but that's when he's kitted out in full Highland regimental dress.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM

4,154 posts, read 11,043,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
It starts right at birth. Pink for girls...Blue for boys....Barbie dolls and play kitchen sets for girls....Toy cars and trucks for boys....Heaven forbid if someone wraps their boy baby in a pink blanket....Is all of this programming really necessary or needed? Is it really healthy? I grew up as an only child....My parents gave me toy cars and trucks and train sets even tho I was a girl. My Dad taught me how to make repairs on our family car and how to fix plumbing in our house...He played ball with me....All of this helped me to become more well-rounded.....How do you feel about gender stereotyping and programming? Thanks...
Pink/blue ridiculous! The gender conditioning has been around for so long, I think following along with it and trying to be "normal" denotes a lack of courage. But that's just me.
As for my kids, I have one of each and we always aimed for orange, and toys of both genders but avoided all the pink, mostly because I can't stand it myself....
now son loves red and skateboarding...
girl loves blue and gymnastics......
works for us.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,450,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Pink/blue ridiculous! The gender conditioning has been around for so long, I think following along with it and trying to be "normal" denotes a lack of courage. But that's just me.
As for my kids, I have one of each and we always aimed for orange, and toys of both genders but avoided all the pink, mostly because I can't stand it myself....
now son loves red and skateboarding...
girl loves blue and gymnastics......
works for us.

Ok, so what if your daughter *wanted* to wear pink? I dressed my older son in blues and greens all the time. Guess what? His favorite color is now red.

And seriously? I think one's color preference is WAY down the ladder in raising well-adjusted, happy people.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM

4,154 posts, read 11,043,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ok, so what if your daughter *wanted* to wear pink? I dressed my older son in blues and greens all the time. Guess what? His favorite color is now red.

And seriously? I think one's color preference is WAY down the ladder in raising well-adjusted, happy people.
Well, if she did want to wear pink I figure we'd have to go out and buy some...just happens that she is so not into it, at least not yet, but I don't think she'll ever be into it. She's a guy's gal and she worships her older brother...

I just chose not to condition either child in the blue and pink garbage from day one, worked for us, that's all.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,093,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As my son likes to point out: Ferraris are red!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,467,636 times
My son actaully likes pink. He's not feminine either. He doesn't wear pink clothes, but he did buy a pink beach towel and DVD player.

Alternately, my daughter's favorite color is blue. Her bedroom is blue. Everything she owns is blue. And, yes, she wears blue too.

It's sort of unfair that society has the double standard---it's okay for girls to wear blue but it's not okay for boys to wear pink.

For the record, I'm not talking about babies. These were the tastes of my children throughout their lives and as teens and young adults too.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I just chose not to condition either child in the blue and pink garbage from day one, worked for us, that's all.
I didn't condition my son apparently either. You know since his fave color is red and all....

Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It's sort of unfair that society has the double standard---it's okay for girls to wear blue but it's not okay for boys to wear pink.
I think that's changing now. I see lots of pink clothing choices in men's depts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting