Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
A wide gap between the sexes can lead to problems in a marriage. Have you noticed this? The ALL BOYS and the ALL GIRLS could have trouble relating to each other...and problems when it comes to understanding each other when they become husband and wife since they grew up in completely different spheres.
Huh? I would think it practically impossible to truly raise kids in "completely different spheres" at this point. Kids interact all the time. Since Title IX has been in place girls sports are taken much more seriously and both women and men have benefited from more less stereotypical roles. Some girls naturally are more "girly" and some tend toward what used to be called "tomboy" ....it really doesn't matter. There were "tomboys" when girls were not allowed to wear pants to school so obviously, those girls were just who they were regardless of the stronger gender stereotyping...You seem to be reading A LOT into pretty small things IMO...Relationship issues happen all the time to pretty much everyone. That's just life. I'm not really sure what you are looking for in this discussion...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,323,572 times
I run into men and women who complain about their spouses all the time. The husbands don't really understand their wives and vica versa. These couples usually split up at gatherings....The women prefer to be with other wives...and the husbands hang out in the men's group if they can. These husbands and wives have very little middle ground and very little depth of understanding when it comes to the opposite sex....This seems sad to me.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I run into men and women who complain about their spouses all the time. The husbands don't really understand their wives and vica versa. These couples usually split up at gatherings....The women prefer to be with other wives...and the husbands hang out in the men's group if they can. These husbands and wives have very little middle ground and very little depth of understanding when it comes to the opposite sex....This seems sad to me.

And you think this is because the women wore pink clothes when they were babies?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,323,572 times
I remember how I Felt when the honeymoon was over and it was time to get down to the nitty gritty of married life....It soon became obvious that there were some wide gaps between my programming as a female...and my husband's programming as a male. I still see these same type of gaps when young people get married today and it concerns me. Through the years I've tried to understand the basis for the gaps...When does it all start and what causes it? I am not an expert....I am just concerned.....

Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM

897 posts, read 2,456,960 times
My baby boy wore a pink hat right after he was born- they had run out of blue ones- he is ALL boy!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,739,335 times
I like the cute little rhymes (see status) and being on "team pink" and all that for fun... BUT, I truly don't care for gender stereotyping and programming at all, in fact was just thinking about this. Deep down, I kind of hope my daughter is not a "girly-girl." I'll bet she's a bookworm and science-obsessed kid like her dad! I am really open-minded about gender stuff, though, and I believe boys can have feminine sides, and girls can have masculine sides, and that's okay. I will nurture whatever creativity my child possesses.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How does this little girl look in pink?
I didn't peek, but I think that I know where you're going with this. That little girl looks pretty much like my son did at that age. He could be wearing the l'il linebacker outfit and people would tell me what a pretty little girl I had.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I remember how I Felt when the honeymoon was over and it was time to get down to the nitty gritty of married life....It soon became obvious that there were some wide gaps between my programming as a female...and my husband's programming as a male. I still see these same type of gaps when young people get married today and it concerns me. Through the years I've tried to understand the basis for the gaps...When does it all start and what causes it? I am not an expert....I am just concerned.....
I think "what causes it" is just that men and women are intrinsically different. It really doesn't make a huge difference what anyone wears as a baby or what they play with because once they become mobile and social, they will gravitate toward what interests them anyway. All the gender neutral clothing and toys in the world is not going to change that....

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,124,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I like the cute little rhymes (see status) and being on "team pink" and all that for fun... BUT, I truly don't care for gender stereotyping and programming at all, in fact was just thinking about this. Deep down, I kind of hope my daughter is not a "girly-girl." I'll bet she's a bookworm and science-obsessed kid like her dad! I am really open-minded about gender stuff, though, and I believe boys can have feminine sides, and girls can have masculine sides, and that's okay. I will nurture whatever creativity my child possesses.
I think that's a great attitude.

I dressed my daughter in OshKosh overalls, usually denim or cords, and primary colors. Her first shoes were tiny black Chuck Taylors. I wasn't so much "anti-pink" as I just picked stuff that I liked.

Her favorite toys were Little Mermaid dolls and Darda race cars (anyone else have those? They are da'bomb). And tape. She looooved tape and art supplies in general. She was always making stuff.

As an adult she wears mostly black, and chose a science and math-heavy field that is male-dominated. She has a nice mix of male and female friends.

I honestly don't think that what I dressed her in had anything to do with those choices . Probably more about letting her explore both the "feminine" and "masculine" sides of her personality, and encouraging her curiosity and creativity.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
I don't do pastels, period, for babies. Before my nephew was born (gender was not common knowledge beforehand, so I wasn't planning for either a boy or a girl in particular), I crocheted him baby blankets, etc. in bright primary colors, which were what his room was done in. I prefer that to powder blue, pink, even pale yellow, mint green, peach, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting