Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Look up "Outside."

Call me what you will, but a four year old would be just as happy with a ball outside than sitting still staring at a screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it - being outside and spending some time on a computer or other screen activity is not mutually exclusive.

This same thing happened on the tv in minivan thread. I think people started assuming if there were a tv in the van, it would be on every single second the key was in the ignition, and jumped to judgment from that assumption.

Sitting in a waiting room for ten minutes and playing a game on the ipod with the kid to me is not any different from reading a book or coloring with them. Its just variety.

I have a few things on my ipod touch and phone as a diversion when my 3 yr old and I get delayed somewhere and have to wait.

I know the OP asked a while ago, but there is an Eric Carle color matching game that is fun and simple. I am not sure what it is called though. I got it at the apple app store.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Not today they wouldn't, where I am. It's freezing. And would you say the same thing about sitting still staring at a book?

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it - being outside and spending some time on a computer or other screen activity is not mutually exclusive.
It's a lovely 75 degrees here today. (Wait! What he heck am I doing inside on the computer???)

2nd paragraph I totally agree with. (And I SEVERELY limited games like Madden because I wanted them playing the real thing.)

Computers/smart phones/things-not-yet-invented are the future. The more you know about them the better off you'll be. I am 100% in favor of kids learning about them early and young. The key is finding the right combination of computer play/learning and outside play/learning.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

13,505 posts, read 10,004,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wouldn't let a 4-6 year old be playing with an iphone or even video games. I think kids need a little bit of life not plugged in. There is absolutely not one thing you can point to that benefits a child that young. You can kid yourself, but that's all you are doing.
Oh dear. I do believe you've thrown down a gauntlet. For starters, they're fun, and that benefits a child. There are plenty of counting games, alphabet games, animal games, matching games, reading games, math games, drawing games. The internet is always changing, so there's lots of variety.

They understand computers from an early age, and that benefits a child. They learn to use a keyboard, which is an essential skill, and you teach a child to write at 4-6 don't you?

Also, a person who states that they would never let their child play with one have no experience with a child playing with one, so they have no idea what it entails nor what's out there. They can say it doesn't benefit a child, but they're kidding themselves, that's all they are doing.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,755,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Look up "Outside."

Call me what you will, but a four year old would be just as happy with a ball outside than sitting still staring at a screen.
It was minus 12 at my house today, not counting wind chill. Nobody's playing ball outside round here for at least another 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting