Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 AM

917 posts, read 2,952,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compac View Post
im 19 and find that i have rights but how much of it do i have, let me tell u that i live with my parents and a senior in high school. wanting to leave and move out, but they say that i cant. so lets say its a monday night and its a school night and i want to see my sweetheart do i have the right to leave and come back? or what would happen
They can change the locks and not let you in. They can stop paying for cell phones and car insurance and things like that. They can stop paying for your food clothing. They can start charging you rent and evict you if you don't comply. There might be be a law against changing the locks depending on your state, but other than that, they don't have to do squat for you once you are 18. You are no longer their responsibility. You can go see your girlfriend all you want, but they don't have to let you in when you come back unless you are paying them rent and have some sort of legal contract. If they want to padlock the fridge, they can and you can starve because they bought the food so it's their property. They can definitely take your phone if they are paying for it. They can take the car if they are paying for it. They can call the cops on you for driving without insurance if they take you off their plan. You get the idea.

If you're 19 and still in high school, I'm going to guess you'll have a hard time getting and keeping a job, especially a good one. Get ready for a life of hard work and low pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM

106 posts, read 382,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
They can change the locks and not let you in. They can stop paying for cell phones and car insurance and things like that. They can stop paying for your food clothing. They can start charging you rent and evict you if you don't comply. There might be be a law against changing the locks depending on your state, but other than that, they don't have to do squat for you once you are 18. You are no longer their responsibility. You can go see your girlfriend all you want, but they don't have to let you in when you come back unless you are paying them rent and have some sort of legal contract. If they want to padlock the fridge, they can and you can starve because they bought the food so it's their property. They can definitely take your phone if they are paying for it. They can take the car if they are paying for it. They can call the cops on you for driving without insurance if they take you off their plan. You get the idea.

If you're 19 and still in high school, I'm going to guess you'll have a hard time getting and keeping a job, especially a good one. Get ready for a life of hard work and low pay.
I agree. I'm 20 and I bought my own car, pay my own insurance, cell phone, college education and clothing. I still live with my parents and yea they let me have a place to stay and all but thats basically it. I could decide to get a 1 bedroom apartment but I wouldn't live as comfortably if I had my degree and was making a steady hefty income so why not shack up with mom and dad until you get your degree IF you are pulling your own weight? If you are just 18+ and think its your right to do as you want without any responsibility your dead wrong. With rights comes responsibilities and if you can't respond to your abilities then you should still be treated like a 13 year old in that regard.

My 0.2

Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM

917 posts, read 2,952,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
I agree. I'm 20 and I bought my own car, pay my own insurance, cell phone, college education and clothing. I still live with my parents and yea they let me have a place to stay and all but thats basically it. I could decide to get a 1 bedroom apartment but I wouldn't live as comfortably if I had my degree and was making a steady hefty income so why not shack up with mom and dad until you get your degree IF you are pulling your own weight? If you are just 18+ and think its your right to do as you want without any responsibility your dead wrong. With rights comes responsibilities and if you can't respond to your abilities then you should still be treated like a 13 year old in that regard.

My 0.2
I was similar to you in terms of responsibility- I got a scholarship to college that covered tuition, room and most of my food and I worked all through college for book and spending money, cell phone payments, things like that. The only thing my parents paid for were the tiny portion of my education costs not covered by my scholarship and the meals we ate when I came home to visit (for a few weeks at the most). On those visits, I followed their rules and everyone got along great. My brother, on the other hand, moved home after college. My parents refused to pay for his cell phone, gas or car insurance (although he had unlimited use of one of their cars) and he could stay as long as he was actively looking for a job. He got a job and moved out in 4 months. However, if either of us wanted to stay home longer and save up money for a house or car or whatever, we would have been welcome as long as we followed their rules. After 18, you realize that true freedom comes with a lot of rules.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,691,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
In many of the states there is actually a law that says your parents are legal responsible for you until you are 21

I really don't think it is a good idea to move out

I know your parents are grouchy

so were mine
and now i am a grouchy parent
and eventually you will be a grouchy parent too

stick with it you are so close to being the independant person you want to be

You have to be able to actually listen to any of the lessons your parents are trying to teach you

I have a 20 yr old and she thought i was an idiot when she left at 18 to go to college
she calls me 5x a day and lets me know often that i was right about this or that
she now realizes that it would have been MUCH easier to finish college quickly if she had stayed here to go to college
It is a struggle when you are on your own workin at Walmart and scheduling classes around a job that doesn't care about your schooling

Just curious could you tell me which state has the law that says parents are responsible for their children till they are 21?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
can a 17 year old, in pa, move out on their own

Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,624,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp89 View Post
If you can't figure that out without asking on a message board then you are NOT ready!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp89 View Post
Technically you're still a minor but if you have a good job and can afford to have your own place, it could be hard for your parents to stop you and they might not try to stop you.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,985,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Just curious could you tell me which state has the law that says parents are responsible for their children till they are 21?
Mississippi...

Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,946,062 times
Just chill out and stay under the radar . . .be cool, be respectful, mind your own business, spend time on your own, don't be rude . . .just make the best of it . . .try to use logic in negotiating with the parents until you can make other arrangements.

Make sure you do well in school this year and actually graduate! And then see what you can figure out for yourself.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,216,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes18 View Post
im 18 year old and i still going to high school. but i still live at home. i just want to know if i have the right to say im not going somewhere when i dont want to. but my parsents say i have to go like(they are making me). i been think about moving out and still going to school. but my parsents think it a big mistake of my life . they think i can't make it when i say that i just want to see if i can make it for a few days without my family there all the time.
I think more detail about your situation is warranted. It would be helpful to know where they are trying to "make" you go.

But in general, I would say freedom and responsibility go hand in hand. How much freedom you get should be directly proportional, at any age, to how responsible you are with that freedom.

This might be a great opportunity to demonstrate your responsibility and maturity to your parents. Take a think about why your parents want you to go where ever it is they want you to go. Let's take an example. They want you to go on the vacation that they have planned. You don't want to go because there are no activities appropriate to your age. (This is purely example.) WHY do they want you on this vacation? Perhaps because they value family time, and want to spend time with you.

Once you figure out what their motivation is, and if you cannot on your own ASK THEM, you can tell them... Hey Mom and Dad, I so can understand wanting family time together. But can you see how there is not much for me to do there? Can we work together to find a solution that will work for both of us? Are you willing to consider a vacation venue change? Or how about if we schedule early Sunday dinners that every one is at each week? Listen carefully to any thoughts that they have. Don't disregard their suggestions out of hand. Really LOOK at them with an open mind.

In the final analysis, if you live under their roof and they are providing for you, then you need to live by your rules. If there rules are draconian, and you simply cannot live with them, then it is within your legal right to leave. You are the legal age of majority. If you choose this route, do it intelligently. Write out a budget...

Do be aware that if you choose to support yourself now, you may be limiting your income potential for later. Sure it can be done. And nothing says you cannot get more education over time. But the more education you have, the better your income is going to be. Having lived on a very low income, I can tell you that it is HARD. Your freedom will be limited, not by the parents, but by your financial inability to do what you want. If you make that choice, do your best to do it with your eyes wide open.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting