Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,275,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Surely you don't let your kids eat all that junk?
Here is what we do,.
When they get home from trick or treating, we let each kid pick out their 5 favorite candy and they can have 1 piece of candy a day next week

What they don't pick out goes into our own give away bucket for any late trick or treaters

The awful candy we put in a special bucket for teenage trick or treaters- I can't stand teens who do this as they are way too old

anything left we use to add to the christmas stockings i make for DFCS kids along with socks, toothbrushes, combs, etc

The rest goes into next years Halloween stash. or it goes into the TRASH With the amount of preservative it will all be good for years or decades!!!!
My oldest doesn't really care for candy all that much...additionally she has some orthodontics that don't allow a lot of it.

The younger two like candy but we don't let them load up on it. We'll keep it around for a little while but eventually we toss it when they aren't looking....

....but first my wife and I will pick out all the good stuff for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Keep it for a week, I let them sort it all, play with it, eat a few peices. Then, put it in freezer, and used it for decorating candy house at christmas.. We had some very interesting looking gingerbread houses! It was fun.
What a fun idea! We'll have to try that..with five kids (although the oldest, 13, only went trick or treating for about five minutes and then her and her friends hit the haunted houses) we have tons of candy and usually it lasts until next Halloween. Rep points coming your way!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,488,499 times
Using Halloween candy to decorate your Christmas gingerbread house (or decorated cookies?) is a great idea! Also, it discourages the kids from wanting it all too soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,778,707 times
Quote:
Surely you don't let your kids eat all that junk?
Here is what we do,.
When they get home from trick or treating, we let each kid pick out their 5 favorite candy and they can have 1 piece of candy a day next week

What they don't pick out goes into our own give away bucket for any late trick or treaters

The awful candy we put in a special bucket for teenage trick or treaters- I can't stand teens who do this as they are way too old

anything left we use to add to the christmas stockings i make for DFCS kids along with socks, toothbrushes, combs, etc

The rest goes into next years Halloween stash. or it goes into the TRASH With the amount of preservative it will all be good for years or decades!!!!
Then why bother letting them go at all? People spend their good money on that candy. If you don't want your kids to have it, then don't let them go trick or treating. And giving out year old candy? That's pretty sad.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Using Halloween candy to decorate your Christmas gingerbread house (or decorated cookies?) is a great idea! Also, it discourages the kids from wanting it all too soon.
Yes I agree. I am going to suggest this to my kids.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
So you think trick or treating is about getting candy? Actually I let my kids participate because of the fun of being in costume, being with their friends, seeing neighbors we don't usually get to see, just having fun with the holiday in general. And when I said I recycle the candy at other holidays, for the teernagers or save it for next year I was jumped. Alot of people agreed with me if you could see my direct messages.
As far as saving it for next year---do you really think retailers don't do that? Do you think that stuff is all warm from the oven the day before you got it? As has been pointed our before, that stuff has been around and in transport for months before it got to the store. Same with other holiday goodies like easter and Valentine Candy. The retailers don't want you to know it but alot of that stuff sits on shelves in warehouses for god knows how long.

We have a dentist in town who buys it back by the pound and what he does with it I don't know but this year he got our leftovers. Just got back from taking it to him and he is trying to find someway to send some but not all to our troops. Good idea.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,864,661 times
Quote:
So you think trick or treating is about getting candy? Actually I let my kids participate because of the fun of being in costume, being with their friends, seeing neighbors we don't usually get to see, just having fun with the holiday in general. And when I said I recycle the candy at other holidays, for the teernagers or save it for next year I was jumped. Alot of people agreed with me if you could see my direct messages.
As far as saving it for next year---do you really think retailers don't do that? Do you think that stuff is all warm from the oven the day before you got it? As has been pointed our before, that stuff has been around and in transport for months before it got to the store. Same with other holiday goodies like easter and Valentine Candy. The retailers don't want you to know it but alot of that stuff sits on shelves in warehouses for god knows how long.

We have a dentist in town who buys it back by the pound and what he does with it I don't know but this year he got our leftovers. Just got back from taking it to him and he is trying to find someway to send some but not all to our troops. Good idea.
Finding a way to send stuff like candy to the troops is a great idea. I'm sure a lot of our military men and women hand it out to the local kids or just enjoy having a bit of a taste of home to put in their mouths.

I think (if I remember correctly) the Government was looking at reducing the costs of mailing care packages to the troops, at least by family members. I know that it can get very expensive to send packages and mail to soldiers overseas, but it's a great moral booster for the guys and gals to get packages and letters from home. For those who want to send things to the troops and have a limited budget you might look at whether the Gov. did change the shipping fees for at least family members of military personell and send packages through family members. The guys and gals in the service tend to share their goodies with other members of their units when they get goodies from home especially if a note is included asking that they do so.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Finding a way to send stuff like candy to the troops is a great idea. I'm sure a lot of our military men and women hand it out to the local kids or just enjoy having a bit of a taste of home to put in their mouths.

I think (if I remember correctly) the Government was looking at reducing the costs of mailing care packages to the troops, at least by family members. I know that it can get very expensive to send packages and mail to soldiers overseas, but it's a great moral booster for the guys and gals to get packages and letters from home. For those who want to send things to the troops and have a limited budget you might look at whether the Gov. did change the shipping fees for at least family members of military personell and send packages through family members. The guys and gals in the service tend to share their goodies with other members of their units when they get goodies from home especially if a note is included asking that they do so.
Last time I talked to someone about it, there was a military rate flat rate box. It was cheaper than priority mail and, like the flat rate boxes, you can stuff it full of stuff for one flat rate (something around $10).

Its a great deal because I remember how expensive sending anything to an APO that had any sort of weight to it was before these boxes came out.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,906,429 times
Quote:
So you think trick or treating is about getting candy? Actually I let my kids participate because of the fun of being in costume, being with their friends, seeing neighbors we don't usually get to see, just having fun with the holiday in general.
Then perhaps your kids should trade in their candy bags for a UNICEF can.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 AM

536 posts, read 1,872,480 times
It goes in my belly

I have a huge chocolate problem. I buy those big chocolate bars at the drug store and devour it on the way home.

We let our son have 1 or two pieces a night. Although on the day of holloween we let him binge a little.

He is more into the hard candy like suckers and jolly ranchers etc. so the chocolate goes to waste.

he is also more of a salt freak so he is just as happy with chips.

Once the candy is a month old, if there is any left, we will throw it out.

I don't mind giving him candy, probably because my mom always took ours away and I hated it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting