Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 AM

502 posts, read 1,255,787 times

Advertisements

In normal years, yes, definitely overkill. However, parents are understandably freaked out over H1N1. My own sister selfishly took her still very sick H1N1-confirmed kids out, so I assume other parents did as well.

Nonetheless, our neighbors all appreciated the extra effort we took to ensure that their kids were "protected" at our house, even if it was technically undone at the next house. We had the kid's Purell, then use a big ladle to scoop candy out of a giant bucket. They had a blast digging for candy, and we got to spend a few extra minutes with each group. We'll probably do the same thing next year, minus the Purell if there is no scary bug "going around."

And no, the concern was never over the cleanliness of my wife's hands, but rather how to dispense the candy in a fun, yet cleanish way. We both grew up with generous neighbors who let us "grab" as much candy as we wanted. We enjoy replicating this memory rather than dropping a few pieces into each sack, even if it costs us more.

You can take the troll costime off, Halloween is over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,863,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
In normal years, yes, definitely overkill. However, parents are understandably freaked out over H1N1. My own sister selfishly took her still very sick H1N1-confirmed kids out, so I assume other parents did as well.

Nonetheless, our neighbors all appreciated the extra effort we took to ensure that their kids were "protected" at our house, even if it was technically undone at the next house. We had the kid's Purell, then use a big ladle to scoop candy out of a giant bucket. They had a blast digging for candy, and we got to spend a few extra minutes with each group. We'll probably do the same thing next year, minus the Purell if there is no scary bug "going around."

And no, the concern was never over the cleanliness of my wife's hands, but rather how to dispense the candy in a fun, yet cleanish way. We both grew up with generous neighbors who let us "grab" as much candy as we wanted. We enjoy replicating this memory rather than dropping a few pieces into each sack, even if it costs us more.

You can take the troll costime off, Halloween is over!
I think it was a great idea! Last night I had a carful of trick or treaters and one was coughing quite a bit. Thirty minutes later he complained he didn't feel well and was feverish. I took him home.

I am one of those parents that fear H1N1 and can't wait to get vaccinated. However, looks like I have already been exposed.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 PM

33,102 posts, read 36,812,683 times
Quote:
Uhhhh....no my wife does not have OCD, but she is a microbiologist and is very well aware of communicable disease and simply wanted to "protect" kids from other kids' germs.

Wow...such criticism one receives one one actually tries to be considerate of others!
I'm not a microbiologist, but I play one on the internet. I'm a bit of a germaphobe. If I had wanted to reassure parents, I would have kept a large pump dispenser of hand sanitizer on a small table visible from the open door and make a great show of briskly rubbing it in for a second or two before grabbing the candy and throwing it into the bags...with the germy candy. LOL

Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,083,091 times
Use Tongs from the kitchen. Then you can pick up 2 or 3 pieces and drop in the bags and not touch anything. I don't t hink it is that big a deal... most kids don't lick the wrapper.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 AM

502 posts, read 1,255,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
Use Tongs from the kitchen. Then you can pick up 2 or 3 pieces and drop in the bags and not touch anything. I don't t hink it is that big a deal... most kids don't lick the wrapper.
Ha Ha...I'm the OP. We actually kidded about doing this, but figured it would freak out the parents.

We also considered throwing the candy out the front door at the kids at have them scramble for it. Ok, not really.

Hope you all had a happy and healthy Halloween! Now just have to figure out what to do with the leftovers. Is it wrong to inflict it on my co-workers? Though given the break room, guess we all had the same idea....

Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,940,356 times
Quote:

Hope you all had a happy and healthy Halloween! Now just have to figure out what to do with the leftovers. Is it wrong to inflict it on my co-workers? Though given the break room, guess we all had the same idea....
That's the fastest way to get rid of ANYTHING around here. Gone in sixty seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting