Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times

Advertisements

Spanking detrimental to children, study says - CNN.com

Snippet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN.com
Newman also noted that children are too young to understand when parenting behavior is wrong, even at the level of abuse. Physical violence gets passed down in families because the only parenting skills people know are the behaviors that they saw at home, she said.

Spanking, moreover, reinforces negative memories in the child's mind, Newman said. Parents should aim instead to build "prominent, happy memories" of childhood for their kids, she said.

Regardless of income level, all parents can benefit from training classes, Newman said.
These three lines were written quite poorly...but the message is clear, and I agree 100% with what was said. The problem is that said training classes often encourage spanking.

Maybe if this study had come out half a century ago, Michael Jackson would still be alive and never accused of molestation...who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Why was the study only done on low-income families? I don't agree with this, my husband and I were spanked when it was needed as children and there is no physical violence in our home. Ou own children have been spanked at one time or another and they don't go around hitting others. On the other hand my stupid ex husband wasn't spanked and he was a mean, violent person.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Why was the study only done on low-income families? I don't agree with this, my husband and I were spanked when it was needed as children and there is no physical violence in our home. Ou own children have been spanked at one time or another and they don't go around hitting others. On the other hand my stupid ex husband wasn't spanked and he was a mean, violent person.
I completely agree and because I truly believe because less parents spank their kids today, kids are more out of line than ever and truly are taking over most households. Kids at schools are worse than ever and I feel bad for the teachers that have to put up with it every day because if they bring it up to the principal its "oh my darling angel couldnt have done that". Its absolutely ridiculous. This "time-out" crap is just that...crap...it does not work.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I was spanked twice, once by my father and once by my mother. (That's all I could remember, they were different situations). I learned not to use the N-word. I was never angry at them for disciplining me. Being a jerk to your children is a lot worse, in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
The article says that spanking works as intended! The idea is to reinforce negative memories in their little heads, such as if I do this again, I'm gonna get a spanking, so I don't wanna do that!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I was spanked twice, once by my father and once by my mother. (That's all I could remember, they were different situations). I learned not to use the N-word. I was never angry at them for disciplining me. Being a jerk to your children is a lot worse, in my opinion.

I always think it is so much worse to hear a parent publicly berating their children than to spank them. I have heard some really mean things said between parents and their children. For me in my relationship with the afore mentioned ex-husband the hateful words he spoke to me hurt worse than anytime he hit me. Yet noone is doing studies on how being mean through words affects our children.

mgto4: I totally agree that the hands off approach that some parents chose to take can affect some children, after volunteering for 3 yrs in my childrens classes you get a new appreciation about what the lack of discipline does not only in our schools but in society as a whole. You do have out of control kids running the classrooms and homes, because parents have bought into the hype that swatting your child's behind when they are misbehaving is going to damage their psyche. My psyche is just fine, I was spanked but not beaten, people seem to forget there is a distinction between the two.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Okay so when rereading the article I noticed it was talking about spanking 1 yr olds. How many spank their 1 yr olds? I swatted my 1 yr olds hands a couple of times when "no, or don't do that" didn't work but to out and out spank my 1 yr old it didn't happen. I also swatted their diapered behinds a couple of times but to me there is a difference between swatting and spanking. I could be wrong but do have to say I have 5 kids that have all received a spanking at one time or another in their lives, they don't cause trouble at school, they all make good grades, they are all respectful of others, they are kind and caring kids, so for our family the spankings that were adminstered didn't damage their psyches.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 09-17-2009 at 05:17 AM..

Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
I always think it is so much worse to hear a parent publicly berating their children than to spank them. I have heard some really mean things said between parents and their children. For me in my relationship with the afore mentioned ex-husband the hateful words he spoke to me hurt worse than anytime he hit me. Yet noone is doing studies on how being mean through words affects our children.

mgto4: I totally agree that the hands off approach that some parents chose to take can affect some children, after volunteering for 3 yrs in my childrens classes you get a new appreciation about what the lack of discipline does not only in our schools but in society as a whole. You do have out of control kids running the classrooms and homes, because parents have bought into the hype that swatting your child's behind when they are misbehaving is going to damage their psyche. My psyche is just fine, I was spanked but not beaten, people seem to forget there is a distinction between the two.
Yup I always thought it was worse to get yelled at in public as well.

I was an after school tutor for 5 yrs in HS and college....and wow...the program must've been seen as a dumping ground for parents who couldn't pick up their kids right away after school or didn't want to deal with them yet. Very unruly and no respect for anyone.

It is the abusive people that gave spanking a bad rap. There is a difference between spanking and getting beaten like you said. I'm not even Catholic but in catholic schools didn't nuns and teachers hit kids with a ruler before it was disallowed? And didn't that produce nice christian boys and girls??? I tell you, so many kids have zero respect for anyone these days. And its only going to get worse.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Okay so when rereading the article I noticed it was talking about spanking 1 yr olds. How many spank their 1 yr olds? I swatted my 1 yr olds hands a couple of times when "no, or don't do that" didn't work but to out and out spank my 1 yr old it didn't happen. I also swatted their diapered behinds a couple of times but to me their is a difference between swatting and spanking. I could be wrong but do have to say I have 5 kids that have all received a spanking at one time or another in their lives, they don't cause trouble at school, they all make good grades, they are all respectful of others, they are kind and caring kids, so for our family the spankings that were adminstered didn't damage their psyches.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I feel if you have to spank your child, then you've already done something wrong.
My 5 and 2 year olds have never done anything that would warrant that kind of discipline, maybe a time out here and there but they have grown up knowing to respect us and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting