Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,976 times

Advertisements

Good suggestions!

I had pulled nearly two bags of toys from her room a month or two ago, and they are headed to the thrift store. Same thing with my son, although he had less stuff. So her room is a lot better, but still messy much of the time. It's easier for her to clean. I think I still need to pull more things, and put them in the basement. When they clean, I usually have to check in and coach them on where to put things and state what I want (like, don't pile your stuff in the chair, straighten out your bookshelves.

As for the bracelet, it was an inexpensive, plastic bead and elastic number her grandmother made for her. I regularly tell her to not wear her bracelets to camp or school, and sometimes she will sneak them out and wear them anyway. Or she'll keep insisting that she wants to wear them. At that point, depending on what she is wearing, I either firmly tell her to take off the bracelet, or I will tell her that if she loses it or it is taken, that is her loss. Sometimes, if gets insistent, as long as the item is not valuable, she needs to learn the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
I would highly suggest one of those stacking bins things (All Kids' Storage : Kids' Furniture : Furniture : Target). Target has really nice ones, with a price tag to match, but you can find cheaper ones at Big Lots and KMart. Sometimes I see them at garage sales and thrift stores, too, but that is a bit hit-and-miss.

My son's room saw an instant improvement after I got him one. It is easier to help him, too. He is 6 and often feels overwhelmed, whining to me "But it is too big, I can't clean it all up." So we tell him to choose one type of toy and pick all of those up first (like all dinosaurs). When he was younger we would have a cleaning contest between him and his dad or me. Usually seeing who could clean up the most by the time the ABCs were done.

I am also wondering if having a "checklist" for her to go through before school everyday will help her get into the habit of mentally going through everything she should have before she leaves somewhere else. You could hang up the checklist by the door and have her verbally go through the list. (Something like backpack, jacket, hat, homework, lunch.)

Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
You haven't lost anything until they grab your wedding rings and flush them down the toilet.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I would highly suggest one of those stacking bins things (All Kids' Storage : Kids' Furniture : Furniture : Target). Target has really nice ones, with a price tag to match, but you can find cheaper ones at Big Lots and KMart. Sometimes I see them at garage sales and thrift stores, too, but that is a bit hit-and-miss.

My son's room saw an instant improvement after I got him one. It is easier to help him, too. He is 6 and often feels overwhelmed, whining to me "But it is too big, I can't clean it all up." So we tell him to choose one type of toy and pick all of those up first (like all dinosaurs). When he was younger we would have a cleaning contest between him and his dad or me. Usually seeing who could clean up the most by the time the ABCs were done.

I am also wondering if having a "checklist" for her to go through before school everyday will help her get into the habit of mentally going through everything she should have before she leaves somewhere else. You could hang up the checklist by the door and have her verbally go through the list. (Something like backpack, jacket, hat, homework, lunch.)
Thanks! I'm looking at the link right now!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
So her room is a lot better, but still messy much of the time. It's easier for her to clean. I think I still need to pull more things, and put them in the basement. When they clean, I usually have to check in and coach them on where to put things and state what I want (like, don't pile your stuff in the chair, straighten out your bookshelves.
Think of it this way, they are not going to "clean" at that age. Straighten, yes. Kids that age don't care that game pieces should stay together, or this type of toy fits here with another going in another spot. All they know at that age is that it's "away".

Do they flush the toilet? Do they put the cap on the toothpaste? Throw trash in the garbage can? I can go back and think of things my kids didn't do that drove me nuts but they did other things that other kids their age did not. Neither of my kids made a mess brushing teeth or washing hands when their friends did. or the way they ate; keeping it on the table/plate verses the floor.

I like the bin cabinets that were linked. We didn't have stuff like that when my kids were little. I think it's the perfect solution. As long as the toys are off of the floor and in that, it's clean. Now, if it gets so they can't find stuff, then you go in and have them sit there while you try to teach them to sort and put like stuff back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
As for the bracelet, it was an inexpensive, plastic bead and elastic number her grandmother made for her. I regularly tell her to not wear her bracelets to camp or school, and sometimes she will sneak them out and wear them anyway. Or she'll keep insisting that she wants to wear them. At that point, depending on what she is wearing, I either firmly tell her to take off the bracelet, or I will tell her that if she loses it or it is taken, that is her loss. Sometimes, if gets insistent, as long as the item is not valuable, she needs to learn the hard way.
My daughter was never allowed to keep any of the better stuff she had - even if it was an avon cabbage patch bracelet that cost me $10. I had a jewelry box in my room for that kind of stuff; she had another in her room for the cheaper stuff. With the one she lost, that would have been in my room.

Go to walmart & get a bead kit. The 2 of you can sit and make her a few that she can wear. If she loses it, she can make more.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,778 times
I disagree that kids can not keep track of stuff. Last year during our move my dh and I accidentally drove off leaving our son's stroller behind. After that for over a month our 3 1/2 yo would asks tell us not to forget the stroller. One time at six flags she was worried I was going to leave my purse behind.
I have never lost a coat myself, I wonder if any of the other parents have lost theirs.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Definitely having a place for every thing helps. I have two boys who can be really bad about leaving stuff around. But they have a place for every thing in their room, and when I say "Pick it up!" (which is usually towards the end of the day before dinner...) they spend the next 30 minutes going room to room and putting things back in their places. They each have tubs, baskets, and drawers as well as their closets with special organizers and a toy chest where they keep their things. Hanging shoe cubbies are great for kids stuff, too. I don't make it my job to keep up with their things - it's their responsibility. And if they lose it, I do not replace it. "I guess it's gone..." I've been telling them that since they were toddlers. Through disappointment and loss they learn to be more responsible with things. I just always felt that if we were to replace things so easily for them when they were lost, they wouldn't learn.

My son last year lost his math book. Oooops, too bad, kiddo! He had to borrow one from his teacher for 3 months. I know most parents would probably have just paid the 50 bucks to purchase another math book, seeing how it is school-related and all... but that's not how my husband or I operate, and our kids know this. He saved his money and replaced the book himself. We'll buy the first set of something they need, but it's their job to be responsible for it and replace it if they lose or abuse it.

I guess we're a bit lucky, though, that our kids don't wear glasses... I can see how losing something like that would be a big problem. If it was something like that we'd definitely have to replace those initially... though we might have our kids pay us back at least half of the cost. But 5 is a little young for that, isn't it! Hmmm.... those athletic-type glasses do sound like a good idea in that case!

Our oldest son right now is horrible with leaving his wet towels on the floor. So I just yesterday made huge signs to remind him to "Pick Up Your Towel!!"... hopefully he'll get the message. We don't pick up after our boys, nor do we do their laundry for them (this includes their towels), so by the end of the week there is a pile of his wet towels there on the floor... and no clean towels for him to use. You'd think he'd learn this way, but he hasn't... Signs and checklists have worked for us in the past, so hopefully these signs will help.

Anyway, sorry to ramble... Good luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Anyway, sorry to ramble... Good luck!
How old are your kids?
Do you work?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
My 2 middle children (including the aforementioned 19 y/o) just added to the list
DVDs
CDs
cassettes
my college ring
shotgun shells
computer games
at least two pieces from every board game they've ever had
an important LEGO piece from every set
book covers
charging units for various electronic devices
model railroad track, cars and accessories
HO scale race cars
keys to wind the antique clocks
watches
window screens
Chapstick

Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How old are your kids?
Do you work?
Why do you ask? (Read my other posts and you'll find your questions answered anyway.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting