Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,322,049 times

Advertisements

...all that much harder?

I remember a pedia sure commercial with a cute little girl that sat in the cart and said "I don't like broccoli. I don't like chicken." But then smiles when pedia sure is added to the cart. Of course our daughter doesn't see the product, just that it seemed that after the girl acted like a little snot, she got what she wanted. Our daughter started that in the store. We were firm but she thought if she kept it up it would work, which it did not. So the next time, we started putting in the stuff she wouldn't protest to and took them out one by one when she tried to reject the healthy choices. It finally stopped. Ooooh...it ticked me off.

Anyone else remember things like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,518,446 times
LOL fortunately, I don't remember my kids every really mimicking bad behavior they saw on TV....I do remember them (as they got older and more perceptive) seeing those types of commercials and saying "what a brat - we would have gotten in so much trouble if we did that!" I don't understand why advertisers have to stoop to that level and why they seem to think it is sooo amusing to feature ill behaved children. But they keep doing it so they must be seeing some benefit out of it....

Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,955,765 times
Wouldn't it be nice to have TV as the scapegoat for all of our kids undesireable behaviors?

I don't think parents can blame bad behavior on TV. Do you think that there weren't whiny kids before TV existed?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,291,490 times
nelly oleson.... the first brat I remember from TV.

When I am confronted with a mimic (be it from TV or playmate) We playact out the whole senario. Laugh and move on, not that it chages anything I would do normally. When I get "But Jane's momma doesn't make her eat her veggies" I come back with, "well, I'm not Jane's momma" that is that.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 AM

758 posts, read 1,875,217 times
I don't think they are actually mimicking the behavior on TV, I think it's phase that they all try at some point or another, especially if they are under 5. Over 5 and they probably are trying it because they saw it on TV and want to see if they could get away with it. My younger 2 never watch TV (well the 4yr old, hardly ever) and they do similair things.

My kids never tried that particular stunt, they are usually just trying put whatever they want in there. That drives me crazy, usually they will get to pick out one thing but if they start to throw stuff in there without asking then they get nothing. They still try it every now and again though (most of the time after being at Granny's, since she allows that behavior!).

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,528,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
...all that much harder?

I remember a pedia sure commercial with a cute little girl that sat in the cart and said "I don't like broccoli. I don't like chicken." But then smiles when pedia sure is added to the cart. Of course our daughter doesn't see the product, just that it seemed that after the girl acted like a little snot, she got what she wanted. Our daughter started that in the store. We were firm but she thought if she kept it up it would work, which it did not. So the next time, we started putting in the stuff she wouldn't protest to and took them out one by one when she tried to reject the healthy choices. It finally stopped. Ooooh...it ticked me off.

I have seen that commercial and I remember it b/c it annoyed the heck out of me of how stupid it was....

Several months ago my son was starting to mention tv commercials and doing some things he said he "learned" on Nick Jr.

That was a sign to me that the tv was on way too long (it was the dead of winter) and I was blatantly using it to babysit.

And I think most children get a little testy no matter what at some stage or the other...my 3 1/2 yr old's new one is "what smells yucky?" when i am making dinner...I say "Excuse me?" and he says "it smells yucky. I want a popsicle." yeah, ok..whatever...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,322,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have TV as the scapegoat for all of our kids undesireable behaviors?

I don't think parents can blame bad behavior on TV. Do you think that there weren't whiny kids before TV existed?
Oh come one...My children are typically angels in public. They do not fight, cry, throw tantrums, add crap to the cart, or run in the stores, they don't even "forget" and begin to do any of these. I would only expect that from my three year old, in which I would not react with telling him to walk, I would react by telling him "Time out. Right now, where you stand. You know that running in the store is dangerous." (or whatever the action.) But you only have to do that once or twice before they decide that public humiliation is not what they want.

No my daughter was three at the time and was mimicking the exact behavior and tone of voice that little girl had. I made a point from then on to point out the commercial and state what a bad little girl she was and what a bad mother for allowing the behavior and not encouraging he little girl to eat healthy. Kids do copy behavior that they see...from their parents, (gasp! yes and the more evil the parent, the more evil the child), other kids, and what they may see on TV or even from others in public. This is also why I will point out those bad moments and say things, in front of the problem to make sure my kids know exactly what I'm talking about, "Isn't great to see a parent working so hard to teach their child manners." OR " THAT is the exact behavior I will NOT see from you. If you ever dared do that, what do you think would happen?" "We'd get a time out." "Yes. But that parent is allowing the behavior so it is really their fault the kid acts like that."

It was the commercial and we reacted swiftly to stop the behavior. It just sucks that you try and watch a channel safe for your children and get so much crap loaded into it.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,359,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
...all that much harder?

LOL - my (adult) daughter said "... if that kid lived in our house, she would have starved!"

Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,239,849 times
We don't have cable or the regular channels, we operate on dvd's now.

When my son was younger, I had cable. It was before Christmas and they are pushing all of the toys. My son sees a My Pretty Pony. He wants this everytime he sees the commercial.

I'm thinking, Ok. I am going to be the great mom who does not push gender specific toys. This is going to be....great....fun.....different. I'm going to do the right thing. So, Santa buys this toy and he opens it. He says, "Doesn't Santa know I'm a boy?"

I'm thinking....well, crap. I don't miss tv one bit.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 PM

458 posts, read 1,357,899 times
It never worked with my kids. Sure they tried it but I always gave the "Do not mess with me" look and they stopped. From and early age my girls knew they could not mess with me and if they did it would not work. I was always firm and stuck to my guns. As my parents did. I think some parents lack the "I don't give a Sh%t" chip. Every parent needs one in my opinion, otherwise you get walked all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting