Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times

Advertisements

I actually noticed it too. I've been seeing that around a bit...A post on another forum said something to the effect of the reason Oprah was popular because people in the midwest could better relate to her because she wasn't a size 0...I grew up all over but both my parents and DH grew up in the midwest (and both kids were born there). We count many many educators in our family from elementary school teachers to college professors at very prestigious universities. All born and bred in the midwest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,005 times
I chose to ignore the Midwest bashing. It just showed ignorance and wasn't even necessary to the thread.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,906,096 times
I think a lot of excursions are made wonderful or not-so-wonderful by the people you are with, especially the person who is playing tour guide. I have had trips that I thought would be boring that turned out spectacular because of the person I was with, and other trips that I thought would be great, only to be ruined by the personality/running commentary of the person showing me around.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
My wife and I had some old friends from College here in Washington DC over the weekend. They had four teenage kids. (We do not have children so are not always sure what they are interested in)

Anyway, we brought them down to Washington DC and did a tour of the Capital, the White House and the Museums on the National Mall. All four were just miserable, bored silly and could not wait to get back to their hotel room where they could swim and watch ESPN. (Which they could do at home). The next day we went to Mount Vernon (The home of George Washington), they were bored silly.

Is this to be expected? Would most teenagers be so bored at the Smithsonian Museums, the Capital and White House and similar attractions?

(Is it the fault of the parents for not encouraging intellectual interests from an early age or would that be impossible because they are kids?)
I went to DC when I was a Sr in HS. I loved every minute of it. I was only there for about 4 days and wish I had another week or 2 to go through the Smithsonian and hit all the monuments and such that I may have missed.

Seems like a lot of kids just don't give a rats a-- anymore.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:27 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,318,903 times
Quote:
My wife and I had some old friends from College here in Washington DC over the weekend. They had four teenage kids. (We do not have children so are not always sure what they are interested in)

Anyway, we brought them down to Washington DC and did a tour of the Capital, the White House and the Museums on the National Mall. All four were just miserable, bored silly and could not wait to get back to their hotel room where they could swim and watch ESPN. (Which they could do at home). The next day we went to Mount Vernon (The home of George Washington), they were bored silly.

Is this to be expected? Would most teenagers be so bored at the Smithsonian Museums, the Capital and White House and similar attractions?

(Is it the fault of the parents for not encouraging intellectual interests from an early age or would that be impossible because they are kids?)
We have always been interested in these type of things. Our kids are not teens but I am confident they will be interested because they beg constantly now about visiting these places. But then again, we ourselves watch Discovery, Science, History, and Animal Planet channels. We do not watch sports or sitcoms or anything else like that. We have a bazillion books that interest use based off these subjects and the topics are subjects of discussion or debate at dinnertime. We also homeschool so they are not exposed to as many kids who find this type of 'fun' boring. They would find it braggable and wouldn't care if other kids thought it was stupis. I have a strong feeling that they will enjoy these type of outings every time we go out.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,318,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I chose to ignore the Midwest bashing. It just showed ignorance and wasn't even necessary to the thread.
Well the fact remains, when it comes to jobs where an articulate spoken, easy to understand accent voice is needed, whether it be a sports announcer or radio host, many times midwestern people are chosen because they speak well and everyone can understand the words they speak, even through their Ya-becha's.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,520,078 times
Quote:

Well, growing up, we didn't have a pool or cable, so going to a hotel with these amenities was extremely exciting..especially hotels that had both the indoor/outdoor pools where you could swim under a little gate to get either inside or out. The ice machine in the hotel was also an exciting novelty.

We were "dragged" to Gettysburg, Williamsburg, numerous camping trips that included hiking and riding bikes, DC, and all along the eastern coast throughout our childhood. I remember sitting in the Senate or House (forgot which one) bored out of my mind. I was 14 yrs old at the time. Not sure how many adults have sat through an open session...but how many of you watch CSPAN for enjoyment? Not the most exciting stuff, especially if it is over your head due to age/maturity, etc.

I find it quite interesting that those who have do not have children need to judge children when they have never ever walked through what parents do...ever...

We took our 3 1/2 & 1 1/2 yr old to an interactive science museum last week and they loved it. Now, when they are 15 & 17, will they love it? Maybe. Maybe not.

But just b/c teenagers want to swim in the pool and watch ESPN in NO way makes them wrong or something to be judged for...they wanted to swim in the pool and watch ESPN!

And parents (again, being one really helps here) know the battles to fight & those not to. I remember having no interest in many parts as a teenager, though I loved the Smithsonian but truly enjoyed the more government based aspects of it as an adult.

And I thank my parents for "dragging" me to all those places b/c even though I was "one of those" who liked swimming in a pool more than listening to a tour guide, something did click during the trip and I have many, many wonderful memories of family vacations.

It's called balance. Most teenagers are not going to enjoy a vacation full of tour guides & history lessons but a mix of relaxation, safe freedom to roam, and structure.

We encourage many things for our children, not just academic based things. I think being a teacher prior to children really showed me how much you LOSE with children when you stuff facts, facts, facts down their throat & never ease up and make it fun with all different sorts of activities. Vacations are meant to be fun & memorable, not a laundry list of check the box monuments & tours.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,123,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's called balance. Most teenagers are not going to enjoy a vacation full of tour guides & history lessons but a mix of relaxation, safe freedom to roam, and structure.

We encourage many things for our children, not just academic based things. I think being a teacher prior to children really showed me how much you LOSE with children when you stuff facts, facts, facts down their throat & never ease up and make it fun with all different sorts of activities. Vacations are meant to be fun & memorable, not a laundry list of check the box monuments & tours.
Great post!

When I read the OPs list of attractions my first thought was "Whoa, whoa, too much cramed into too little time".

It probably would have been enough to tour ONE museum or historic site per day, and left time for relaxing, physical activity and just plain goofing off.

Also, as teenagers, they should have had a chance to have some input about the days' activities. It's ok to ask them what particular sites might interest them, or which section of the museum they might find most entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting