Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 16,285 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who wants to move out of her parents house but she is only 17 she will be 18 in sept. but her parents told her that if she tried to leave that they would call the cops so will she get into trouble for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,445 times
Probably depends on the state, but I was pretty sure that in most states 17 is the legal age a person can decide to move out of their parents' house.

Sounds like just a scare tactic just to keep her from leaving.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurlybabe View Post
I have a friend who wants to move out of her parents house but she is only 17 she will be 18 in sept. but her parents told her that if she tried to leave that they would call the cops so will she get into trouble for that?

The age of majority in Iowa is 18. Your friend has to live where her parents want her to until she is 18 and the police will enforce this. Actually because she is underage any rental agreement she signs is invalid because she is not considered old enough to enter into a contract. So no apartment complex manager will knowingly rent to her anyway. It's only a half a year anyway. At 17 it may seem like an eternity but she will be 18 before you know it.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Looking past the non-information given I have to ask:

Why?

Parental abuse? Physical, sexual? Is she just not getting her way and wants to be her own boss? Alcoholism in the house?

Some, but not all, of the situations above will actually act in her favor if she wants out. If she is being abused she, or someone who cares enough, should call the police and/or the Department of Human Services and report it.

If she is ticked off because she doesn't get her own way, whether or not it is reasonable, then too bad. As long as she lives in her parents house their word is rule - to a point. Again, that point is abuse. If she has evidence of physical abuse (bruising, broken bones, etc.) take pictures of the injuries and show them to the authorities. If she is being sexually abused she should go to a hospital as soon as possible after the attack (no shower before she goes) and report it. They will take samples and test it. If the DNA comes back as that of a family member, they will be charged and prosecuted.

Sometimes the urge to leave home at 17 is less obvious than what you are told. Ugly family secrets are usually buried deeply. Try some detective work...

Old 04-21-2007, 03:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
tell her she should stay put until she's 18 & out of school unless she has a legitimate reason for NEEDING to move out

Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 16,113 times
the problem with abusive relationships is that when a cop shows up, yes he/she will check for bruises etc., but if you don't have anything broken or a certain amount or are bleeding profusly, it doesn't matter. They will send you back home. I have been in this position before, and when the cop came, he said he had bet the bruises were from falling down or sports and all he did was check my eyes to see if I was intoxicated. I have 3 weeks until I'm 18 and I'm trying myself to get out. The only difference with my parents, even with them being very abusive, is that they won't call the cops to come get me, they just won't let me have my things. Which I believe is also illegal

Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 52,594 times
Tell her to try roomates.com, most people don't even require a credit check just a job. Make sure she waits untill she graduates from highschool first then try to move, and of course has a plan of action to take care of her bills and responsabilities that any adult would have to do. If she wants to be an adult an live on her own than she must BE one. But be careful you don't ever want to burn bridges with your family! You will always need them in some shape or form. Have them understand you are ready.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 52,594 times
And as far as the cops go, tell her not to even let it come to that. If she wants to be an adult than she should have already been able to show enough responsability to where her parents wouldn't try to keep her from leaving. Especially when highschool is almost over for her.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbreichgirl24 View Post
the problem with abusive relationships is that when a cop shows up, yes he/she will check for bruises etc., but if you don't have anything broken or a certain amount or are bleeding profusly, it doesn't matter. They will send you back home. I have been in this position before, and when the cop came, he said he had bet the bruises were from falling down or sports and all he did was check my eyes to see if I was intoxicated. I have 3 weeks until I'm 18 and I'm trying myself to get out. The only difference with my parents, even with them being very abusive, is that they won't call the cops to come get me, they just won't let me have my things. Which I believe is also illegal
Leave at 18 it is your right. As for "your" stuff in most states you can not own anything until the age of majority. If your parents bought it or it is in their house they are under no obligation to release anything to you without a court order.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurlybabe View Post
wow well i guess that was productive of her parents
I'm sure it made her want to rethink her methodologies NOT

I think the parents need to find out why their daughter wants to leave
also where does this child want to go?

Freedom may be grand for a little while but it sure has a high price tag on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting