Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 17,420 times

Advertisements

im 17 i live in il and i REALLY wana move out!!!! i believe my mom is bi-polar, i have 3 cousins that were 2, she acts just like them. she'll snap on me for nothing and her moods can change at the drop of a hat! i no she'd flip out if i try 2 move out now,my b-day is in the mid. of may, but i cant handle living there ANYMORE! i've been looking to find out if i can.my fiance's parents told me i can stay at their house but my mom wouldnt allow it. WHAT DO I DO?!?! PLZ,HELP, I'M DESPERATE!!!!!!!!

P.S I HAVE THIS ON MY PRO TOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,981 times
When I was 17 and said I was moving in with my friend, I turned around and almost tripped over the bags that my mom packed.
I told her that the little happy dance was a bit much tho.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,493,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurlybabe View Post
I have a friend who wants to move out of her parents house but she is only 17 she will be 18 in sept. but her parents told her that if she tried to leave that they would call the cops so will she get into trouble for that?
Depends. Technically, she can be charged with home truancy. Practically, it depends where she is geographically. In a big city, the cops don't have time for home truancy cases, especially for a 17-year-old. In some podunk town, they might take her back home, forcibly if need be.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,284,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-luvs-zidier07 View Post
im 17 i live in il and i REALLY wana move out!!!! i believe my mom is bi-polar, i have 3 cousins that were 2, she acts just like them. she'll snap on me for nothing and her moods can change at the drop of a hat! i no she'd flip out if i try 2 move out now,my b-day is in the mid. of may, but i cant handle living there ANYMORE! i've been looking to find out if i can.my fiance's parents told me i can stay at their house but my mom wouldnt allow it. WHAT DO I DO?!?! PLZ,HELP, I'M DESPERATE!!!!!!!!

P.S I HAVE THIS ON MY PRO TOO
Tie a knot and hang on...without being ugly, your screen name shows you may be a little too immature to handle the real world, which your boyfriend's parent's house is not. Is your father around to talk to? What is his take on this? How old is your mother? Do you have siblings?

Your mother changing moods at the drop of a hat - sweetie, that's not a reason to run away from home. You might change moods frequently, too.

You're at a turning point in your life, almost grown up in your own mind, but not quite there according to the law. You've made it 17 years, another 6 months isn't going to probably take you over the edge....and I have a feeling in another 5 years you will see things completely differently.

Your best bet is to sit down with your mom as the adult you want to be and talk with her calmly and rationally about how everyone can best get along until the time you can stand on your own two feet, whether that is in May or three years from May. I suspect there's way more to this story - perhaps if you give us a little more to go on, you might get some real advice. Right now anything anyone said would just be a stab in the dark.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 16,993 times
Exclamation movin out at 17

Im in the same predicament as you are i want to move out really bad my parents aka the people who manage to dictate my everymove say that if i were to move out they would be cool with it but only on 2 conditions 1) if i move out i wont be allowed to move back in (like if something falls threw and im out on the street) and 2) my parents will declare me a runaway that way they wouldnt be legally responsible for anything i do. i just turned 17 and i have a place to move to with some friends i also have a well paying job and am able to pay for rent and all the neccesities the only problem is is that if i am declared a runaway and for some small reason i am to get into trouble with the police the people i would be staying with could get into trouble for harboring a runaway ( because my parents legally declaring me one) if anyone has any answers on how i can legally move out at 17 please Mod: Don't put your email on here...you're asking for problems. Utillize DM feature.

thanx

Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 42,548 times
Unless your prepared to flip the bill I suggest she say where she is.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,284,787 times
Go to court. Have yourself declared emancipated. By the time that happens you'll be 18 anyway.

As the song says, you're gonna miss this when its gone.

I hate to be the wet blanket, but I'd bet the both of you would never believe that 95% of us have walked in your shoes. If I had it to do over again...you'd better believe I'd put up with my father flipping the front porch light for me to come in (at 1 a.m.) and him behaving badly and changing on a dime...and I'd have stayed in college, gotten a masters, and gotten a PhD all on his nickel if I could have swung it.

Being a grown up isn't all its cracked up to be. Bide your time. The rest of us did and we survived. If you can't survive in their house, ask your folks to sign the papers and join the military.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:08 PM

932 posts, read 1,275,515 times
I moved out on my 18th birthday.

MOved in with my boyfriend (we've now been married 12 years, he's 7 years my senior).

Statistically, that does NOT happen very often, and I would not recommend it.

Wait till you're 18. You'll make it.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 PM

690 posts, read 2,631,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Being a grown up isn't all its cracked up to be. Bide your time. The rest of us did and we survived.
And I still wish I would've taken my parents' advice more to heart when they said, "Stay young as long as you can. You can never go back."

Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,920,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurlybabe View Post
I have a friend who wants to move out of her parents house but she is only 17 she will be 18 in sept. but her parents told her that if she tried to leave that they would call the cops so will she get into trouble for that?

I moved out at 17 (one month before my 18th bday). My guess is the PD won't do much. They may file a report, call her a runaway, but they aren't going to throw her in jail. They would probably take her home and then she would leave again. Is she out of high school? Maybe she can seek emancipation. There really isn't a whole lot of time between now and her 18th bday. Can she suck it up and stay or are there circumstances that will make it dangerous for her to stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting