Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,739,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm from Texas, and people there seem to be more aware of things like RSVP and Thank You's and things like that.

Maybe it's changed since 2007, because we're from there originally and they were HORRIBLE at RSVP'ing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:57 PM

161 posts, read 570,474 times
Ditto--I am the OP and I am in Texas--never had such a hard time getting a response as from people here!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:54 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,489,885 times
I think many people don't know what RSVP means. If they do know what it means perhaps they haven't thrown a party before and don't realize that it's inconvenient to the host to just show up w/o notice (I've had some ignorant but nice people do this to me... like at my wedding which required specific numbers and I had people give me "maybes" and then show up the day off). I would suggest that if one is sending out invitations that it be specific as possible in a nice way (basically, spell it out for people). For example, you could state "please let us know how many kids will be attending with you when you RSVP - all are welcome, just need a head count in order to provide enough food for all." Or "please let us know how many will/will not be attending" instead of writing RSVP. It doesn't always work, but it might help.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,333,281 times
I suppose maybe some people don't know, but most people probably know what it means. I think that maybe people don't think about how it affects other people. If they were the only one to not RSVP, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal, but when most people don't bother to, it makes it impossible to plan.

I had a friend not RSVP to my wedding, and she had been married the year before! Surely she should have realized that it is important to get a head count for a catered meal! She called my cell phone the day before the wedding, no doubt at the urging of another mutual friend. By that time, it was too late. I was doing last minute errands, and had already given the count to the caterer. I didn't even bother to answer the phone. She and her husband did come.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
Ditto--I am the OP and I am in Texas--never had such a hard time getting a response as from people here!
Hmm... maybe it depends on where you are then? We lived in the Park Cities (Highland Park) which is it's own little stuck-up snobby 'hood inside Dallas, TX. People outside the Park Cities refer to it as "the bubble". Talk about snobs... but at least they followed strict social etiquette... the ones that weren't drunks... anyway!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I think many people don't know what RSVP means.
Or maybe people started boycotting "RSVP" at the same time they started boycotting french fries, french wine, french perfume, french beauty products, and french everything else? It stands for "Répondez s'il vous plaît"...

Boycott France!

I could never boycott the French... I love my Le Creuset too much! And life without french bread? Non et non! Pas question!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM

378 posts, read 774,853 times
I feel much sympathy for you. I cancelled my dd's 4th birthday gym party because I received two RSVPs. I don't care for any excuses people can/will make: IT'S RUDE and IT'S MEAN. The same people who never responded sent invitations to their parties, expecting RSVPs of course. Well, I certainly did....

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,083,559 times
For the last several years my 2 daughters (who have birthdays the same week) have gotten to take 1 friend each to the Renaissance Faire in Muskogee. Since it is also in May and it is only 1 month a year, it is an event. The girls always love it and last year we took the whole girl scout troop and made it a Troop Party. They liked it too. I just don't do the whole "invite the whole class thing and have 5 or 8 or 15 people show up."

Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,051 times
Default It's just poor manners

Hi

It only takes a minute to reply "yes" or "no" to an invitation. This applies to children's parties and adult's. Not responding is just lazy and of poor taste.

When people don't respond --- I think much less of them.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,471,987 times
My mother was planning my brother's rehearsal dinner and out of all of the people who were invited (about 40 people maybe?) only about 5 RSVP'd. My mom was floored and got on my brother's case. My brother acted like it was no big deal and didn't want to bother his friends about replying. It was a mess and I too was shocked that no one RSVP'd. We are talking about people ranging in ages from early 20s to late 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting