Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM

841 posts, read 4,840,850 times

Advertisements

It is rude to not let the host know either way.

I've learned to put my email address down as a way to contact me. It's easier, quicker, and I think it lets people bow out of the commitment easier b/c they don't have to say 'sorry' about not coming over the phone.

I have also been the rude one at one time or another. I have lost invitations that were put in my child's cubby at school, mixed within 20 pieces of artwork, lunch box, papers, etc. I could keep much better track of invitations if they were mailed to the house. Whatever happened to that novel idea?

On a side note, my son attended two parties within the last two weeks. Have we received a thank you note for attending? Not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I don't know, and it is a major pet peeve of mine.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I do not agree that people are "too busy" and overwhelmed by multiple parties every weekend. A phone call or e-mail would take 2 minutes, and there are not multiple parties EVERY weekend. If a kid has 30 people in his class, and EVERY kid has a party and invites EVERYONE in the class, that doesn't even average out to 1/week. It is all excuses, and it is rude. There is NO good reason for not RSVPing. Even if you might be able to attend, but aren't sure, tell the host that. It is better than nothing.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I could keep much better track of invitations if they were mailed to the house. Whatever happened to that novel idea?
I think in a lot of cases, people don't know their children's friends' addresses.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think in a lot of cases, people don't know their children's friends' addresses.
Especially if you are inviting the whole class. I have a hard enough time trying to keep the kids straight in each of my kids' classes, forget knowing each of their addresses.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
I stumbled across a cure for those who do not RSVP.

The day before my daughter's last bday party, I called the place to confirm the date/time. They had lost the reservation and had to reschedule. The party was scheduled for Saturday. I called Friday night. I only had the phone numbers of the parents who had called to RSVP, because in addition to her close friends, we had invited her entire class. I rescheduled the party for a later time, with fewer kids, for less $$, in addition to the discount because they messed up the reservation (I had an email confirmation to prove the original reservation)

I only called the people who called me to RSVP with the new info. I got 10 additional phone calls Saturday afternoon asking what happened. I explained that the party had been rescheduled, but since they hadn't RSVP'd, they would have to pay the additional $10 fee per child if their child still wanted to attend. No takers. Some of them had the audacity to tell me how inconsiderate it was of me to not call.

On one hand, my daughter hasn't received invites to their parties this year.

On the other, I have saved $150 on bday gifts for kids she didn't know/care about very much.

Did the children get punished for their parent's lack of manners? Of course. But then again, if the parents don't have manners it's a safe bet that teaching their kids manners isn't a priority for them and my kids are better off without those children in their lives (or at their parties).

BTW... Knowing how these "young moms" are so "busy" (busy meaning incapable of managing their time properly or incapable/ignorant of common courtesy), I included my email address and cell number, inviting RSVPs by call, email or text. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them be polite.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:36 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
BTW... Knowing how these "young moms" are so "busy" (busy meaning incapable of managing their time properly or incapable/ignorant of common courtesy), I included my email address and cell number, inviting RSVPs by call, email or text. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them be polite.
This isn't just a problem with "moms". I think it transcends this generation. I hosted a ton of "socials" as a military wife. I had trouble with rsvps as well. In my leadership role for these young women, I constantly told them about the common courtesy of rsvping. And I mean constantly......yet, it still was a recurring problem.

RSVP people!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:08 PM

841 posts, read 4,840,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Especially if you are inviting the whole class. I have a hard enough time trying to keep the kids straight in each of my kids' classes, forget knowing each of their addresses.
My son invited quite a few people from his class. And we were new to the school and the neighborhood. I looked on the internet under the white pages for the addresses. If they weren't listed, (most were), I networked with other parents via the phone or internet to get the other parents' email addresses to get their mailing addresses. It was a pain in the butt and took me about two weeks to gather all of the addresses. But it can be done.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

We don't know many of the children in our daughter's class and they will not give out addresses at school. The invitations have to go to them at school.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,713,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
My son invited quite a few people from his class. And we were new to the school and the neighborhood. I looked on the internet under the white pages for the addresses. If they weren't listed, (most were), I networked with other parents via the phone or internet to get the other parents' email addresses to get their mailing addresses. It was a pain in the butt and took me about two weeks to gather all of the addresses. But it can be done.
That won't work here. The schools don't give out the names of their parents, and of course I can't look it up under the kid's names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting