Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,210,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
...My husband calls his mom NEVER and she calls about once every 3 days to say exactly "whatcha doin' whatcha thinkin' whereyagoin'?"
Presuming she doesn't have dementia, I'd call my mother NEVER too (if she were alive) and had such a dumbass approach to a family conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
I call my own mother 1-2 times a week, and try to visit (4 hours away) every six weeks or so. I have 6 siblings, so we try to space out the calls so they don't all happen over the weekend.

My eldest son runs hot and cold with the calls. I finally told him this week I didn't care if he couldn't pick up the phone, just answer with a text that he was fine, busy, and would call when he had a chance.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
I have four kids..a daily caller...a weekly caller...a monthly caller...and a when he wants something caller....I don't expect them to call...I usually reserve Sunday night to call each one.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 PM

267 posts, read 82,279 times
I live 5 blocks from my mom......I ususally stop by every day and if for some reason I do not make it by my mom calls me or I will call her......My son is 26 and he calls me pretty much every day, sometimes 2 and 3 times in one day.......The longest my son has gone without calling me was 2 days...... It gets me a little worried if my son dont call at least every other day because he has ALWAYS made sure he calls me.........

Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM

970 posts, read 2,215,206 times
I probably call my parents twice a month and text twice a week.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I spoke to my mom on sunday get a knock on my door today it's my sibling wanting me to call my mom because she is upset I didn't call her. Is this normal?
Maybe get your mom one of those phones that allows her to dial out...

I don't have a pattern for calling my mom, but she only complained about not hearing from me once. I told her that the phone worked both ways. Now she calls me when she wants to speak with me and I call her when I want to speak with her. And it's been working fine.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,763,530 times
Heh, I talk to my mom daily, sometimes up to 2-3 times if its something i wanted to tell her but forgot, but usually once a day.

When my husband deploys or goes away for training or whatever, she makes sure she atleast talks/texts once during the day so incase something happened to me, she could call the cops if I didnt answer. she knows my phone is almost always a foot or two away from me, so i am usually pretty prompt in answering. If i dont answer, she will call or text again a few times before getting worried since i do have a toddler and all.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:02 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Heh, I talk to my mom daily, sometimes up to 2-3 times if its something i wanted to tell her but forgot, but usually once a day.

When my husband deploys or goes away for training or whatever, she makes sure she atleast talks/texts once during the day so incase something happened to me, she could call the cops if I didnt answer. she knows my phone is almost always a foot or two away from me, so i am usually pretty prompt in answering. If i dont answer, she will call or text again a few times before getting worried since i do have a toddler and all.
That's how I am with my grandmother not my mom.
Just don't have that close relationship, it's getting there but as long as you have someone who you can have that close relationship with it doesn't matter who it is.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 AM

My mother used to call me every Sunday morning at 9 a.m. sharp. I asked her not to as I went out on Saturday night and didn't get home until about 4 a.m., and we could talk in the early afternoon. She said I should be up at 9 a.m. anyway, and not be out so late. As I was in my late thirties at this point, I thought she should just go p*ss up a rope. From that time on I simply pulled the phone plug out of the wall when I came home and put it back after I got up and had breakfast.

I almost never called her, as she would simply call again on Sunday anyway. She never had any news - she really had no interests other than herself, and she had no active interest in my life....actually seemed bored if I talked about my job. I think the call was simply a symbolic gesture that we were connected. She had the same rather bizarre type of communication with her only remaining sister. I used to call this aunt about every couple to three weeks, and we had great conversations. But she had always meant more to me than my mother did because we had a shared relationship and love, and not a one-way one. So, as she was really person I had the strong relationship with, you could say I called my "mother" every two or three weeks. But we wrote each other a long letter once a month or more since I was in my early twenties too.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
That's how I am with my grandmother not my mom.
Just don't have that close relationship, it's getting there but as long as you have someone who you can have that close relationship with it doesn't matter who it is.
You got it! Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting