Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I spoke to my mom on sunday get a knock on my door today it's my sibling wanting me to call my mom because she is upset I didn't call her. Is this normal?
Maybe she had those "bad vibes" that mothers sometimes get thinking that you were ill, or injured or sad.

I call my mother once a day. She is 82 and lives about 7 miles away. I call her to make sure she is still alive. I want to be the first one there, just in case she isn't. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,319,618 times
To reiterate...it depends on the relationship and the point in life. If you've just moved out, you could be searching for your independence, especially if you felt your parents were stifling as a teen. If you have kids and had a good childhood, you might call more to ask questions and share stories. I don't talk to my parents all that often. I'll go through spurt where I talk to my mother every few days and then not for a couple of months. It depends on what is going on. I personally will not call just to share a store about my kids with my mother. I save it for when I talk to her next. I will call about obscure things that she might know or I might have picked up. We are both similar in we are the endless knowledge of useless information . I'm surprised it hasn't become some unusual compeition to come up with the weirdest "tip."

Among some of the weirdest...Did you know to cure hemmoriods you take a piece of potato about the size of the tip of your thumb and stick it you know where? Did I really need a phone call about that one? Or to cure posion ivy you can rub the inside of a banana peel on the rash.

When I first moved out, my mother would call me at work...until a guy once flipped out because I was on the phone instead of helping him. She had some rude remarks that only I could hear like I should tell him off....until I called back later and told her I almost got fired. I can understand where you are coming from.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,494,385 times
I call my mom every couple of days; my dad every couple of weeks. DH calls his mom about every week or two. Just depends. Probably if the pattern changed, that would cause concern.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM

893 posts, read 1,581,657 times
My father talks to his mother once a month (they live about 120 miles apart from each other) I call my father about once a week and speak to my mother about twice a month. I'm learning the older they get, the more frequent they want to talk. Sometimes there is really nothing to say thats any different from the last conversation.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,746,535 times
Expect? I don't have that expectation. Just call when there is a need or just call to say hi but not everyday. Once a week is OK and, depending on the kid, maybe less than that.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,215,257 times
Maybe your mom was feeling particularly lonely or needy this week. Otherwise, it seems odd that she'd expect 2 calls in a week when that isn't what you normally do. Maybe her memory is bad, and she didn't realize she just talked to you.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,232,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I call my mom every couple of days; my dad every couple of weeks. DH calls his mom about every week or two. Just depends. Probably if the pattern changed, that would cause concern.

What does DH stand for? Darling husband? What do you call the kids?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,494,385 times
DH= Dear Husband; DD= Dear Daughter; DS= Dear Son....etc

Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,553,836 times
I talk to my mom at least 2x a month. I worse when it comes to my dad.
Every other month for him.

As they get older I have to remind myself to call them more often.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,232,561 times
It saddens me to hear that so many people hardly talk to their parents and most of all mothers!!!!!

I can see your husband/wife/children or SO being a big part of your life but you spent 18 years of everyday seeing these people that braught you into the world.

I understand that some might not have close relationships with their parents but if you do call them more often. I am in the medical field but I get paid much more by being an in home non-medical caregiver for the elderly. I have seen much too often the sadness and disapointment in so many of these parents. They miss you guys. Even a phone call a day at the same time to say goodnight or re-cap the news or at LEAST once a week for a longer period of time.

They really do appreciate it and NEED it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting