Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:56 AM

58 posts, read 139,778 times

Advertisements

there should be different degrees of sex offenders... first degree: violent rapists, child rapists(when its really a rape and not just a 15 year old getting it on with an 18 year old) etc, and then a second degree for in between cases and a third degree for the silly things like touching your date inapropriately, having sex with someone who is underage etc...

Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,333 times
I think the reason their names are not posted is to provide them the opportunity to live a clean (though somewhat monitored) life and to start over. From what I have seen, their quality of life is pretty marginal at best. These offenders have already served the prison time and in many cases undergone mandatory therapy and other courses of treatment.
There are a variety of different types of sex offenders. Many will not pose a threat to your family but offended due to an opportunity. Most offenders are on the inside of the family circle as family member or family friend. Being an intelligent, aware and protective parent can do a whole lot to protecting your kids and preventing things from happening.
Many offenders have treatment plans that are even more restrictive. I worked in one of those programs and came away feeling that society was less in danger from them than the unknown and unmonitored, as of yet, unidentified offenders.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
there should be different degrees of sex offenders... first degree: violent rapists, child rapists(when its really a rape and not just a 15 year old getting it on with an 18 year old) etc, and then a second degree for in between cases and a third degree for the silly things like touching your date inapropriately, having sex with someone who is underage etc...
They already have that...to an extent. Sex offenders in Texas are assigned "low" "moderate" or "high" risk. I have no clue how they determine who gets put in each category or if any other state does this.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
eric04, It's not the registered sex offenders you need to worry about, it's the ones who aren't.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,070,063 times
It's amazing the paranoia over registered sex offenders who are closely monitored, when there are drug dealers on practically every street corner in America.

Drug dealers enlist the young (12-16 year olds) to attract the young (8-12 year olds) on playgrounds, in parks, in schoolyards, etc.. Why no paranoia and outrage with drug dealers?

They mix cocaine with sugery things that kids lick or pop into their mouths to get them hooked. They have been known to lace wet-and-stick temporary tattoos with cocaine and get kids to sell them to kids in schoolyards.

They are creative and sneaky. They get kids as young as 7 and 8 hooked on lethal drugs before you even know it.

My quandary is the paranoia over someone who will most likely never have an interest in your kids when those who will take extreme interest are all but ignored.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 20,989 times
I wanted to respond to my original message. Thank you everyone for responding to me. I think this is a very contorversial subject. My biggest issue was seeing all the level 3 offenders, which are considered the worst, who were men in their 40's or 50's who molested children under the age of 10 in my area. I guess it is ok to tell where I live, which is Dansville NY. And this isnt a TOS violation...so Im told. If it is, please forgive me. I do agree with those of you who said you shouldnt be a RSO if you are a young man who got caught with his girlfriend having sex, but I think those are level 1 offenders. However the level 3 offenders shouldnt be allowed to live in our communities, and blend in with honest people. Do I have an answer for what to do with them? unfortunatly no I dont. The only thing that comes to mind, is locking them away without parole, but if they are able to get out, then have them castorated ! I am pleased with the number of people who told me they check for RSO's constantly, so I guess the only thing we can do is remind our friends and loved ones that these animals are lurking amongst us, and to constantly check an offender list to see who is out there, or does that new boyfriend have a past, and is he dating me, or using me to get to my daughter !! Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric04 View Post
I wanted to respond to my original message. Thank you everyone for responding to me. I think this is a very contorversial subject. My biggest issue was seeing all the level 3 offenders, which are considered the worst, who were men in their 40's or 50's who molested children under the age of 10 in my area. I guess it is ok to tell where I live, which is Dansville NY. And this isnt a TOS violation...so Im told. If it is, please forgive me. I do agree with those of you who said you shouldnt be a RSO if you are a young man who got caught with his girlfriend having sex, but I think those are level 1 offenders. However the level 3 offenders shouldnt be allowed to live in our communities, and blend in with honest people. Do I have an answer for what to do with them? unfortunatly no I dont. The only thing that comes to mind, is locking them away without parole, but if they are able to get out, then have them castorated ! I am pleased with the number of people who told me they check for RSO's constantly, so I guess the only thing we can do is remind our friends and loved ones that these animals are lurking amongst us, and to constantly check an offender list to see who is out there, or does that new boyfriend have a past, and is he dating me, or using me to get to my daughter !! Thanks
Yes. It's good to know. BUT, you should be sure of what their offenses are for the reasons you stated. And, I wouldn't choose where I live based on where sex offenders live. Like I said earlier, they can go places other than their homes and your child goes places other than your home. And, one who doesn't live near you could always move in nearby. Just be very aware.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
The people listed as "sex offenders" are simply the relatively stupid or ham-handed or unlucky ones who got caught. For every one of them, there are a dozen or a hundred who are similarly likely to have such leanings, awaiting an opportunity. The only solution is the George Bush pre-emptive strike, of putting every person in prison before they attack. In your town, how many of the "known" sex-offenders have re-offended? If none, why are you worried about them?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The people listed as "sex offenders" are simply the relatively stupid or ham-handed or unlucky ones who got caught. For every one of them, there are a dozen or a hundred who are similarly likely to have such leanings, awaiting an opportunity. The only solution is the George Bush pre-emptive strike, of putting every person in prison before they attack. In your town, how many of the "known" sex-offenders have re-offended? If none, why are you worried about them?
A very good point. I'd be worried regardless of whether they have re-offended or not. But, you have an excellent point about how many don't get caught. Also I think most parents don't realize that it's not generally random strangers who commit sex offenses against children. It's usually people who know the child and family - sometimes even people who are a part of the family.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:33 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,212,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A very good point. I'd be worried regardless of whether they have re-offended or not. But, you have an excellent point about how many don't get caught. Also I think most parents don't realize that it's not generally random strangers who commit sex offenses against children. It's usually people who know the child and family - sometimes even people who are a part of the family.
Exactly. I'm sure the incest cases are much more prevalent than we all know based on statistics. For the people who have gotten caught, here are the statistics on who they were in relation to the victim:

Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as friends of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.