Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,043 times

Advertisements

Some dogs are just violent by nature.

Authorities are investigating the death of a five-year-old Thomasville girl who police said was killed by three pit bulls on Monday.
Thomasville Police said the child, identified as Cheyenne Peppers, was pronounced dead at a local hospital just before 5 p.m.

Five year old child killed by family pit bulls www.privateofficer.com « Privateofficernews’s Weblog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 36,502 times
Dogs are never born mean or vicious as these were. They are either raised or beaten untill they act like this. Thoose dogs could have been perfectly nice if they were raised differently. It also may not be a good idea to keep that many dogs together with that type of a temperment. This could cause problems with territory or family members.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,468,216 times
Some dogs have a greater tendency to be vicious, and unfortunately pits bulls are associated with more of these kinds of attacks.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,279,043 times
The title of the thread only said "family pets" but without even looking I assumed they were pit bulls. Thinking I may be surprised that the 5 year old was possibly killed by parakeets that had escaped the bird cage I went ahead and clicked on the thread. No surprise....pit bulls....yet again.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,214,684 times
I'd just like to point something out. I'm intimidated by pit bulls. I've never owned one and I've hardly ever been around them. However, I would consider getting one in the future in light of the following. In my hometown, animal control gets tons of dogs, many are pitbulls. Because of the high euthanasia rates because not many people adopt, they institute a "personality test" so that only the most stable dogs make it to the adoption area. This includes testing the dogs for food aggression by taking away their food bowls while they're eating and aggression towards other dogs. I'd say that at least 50%-60% of the cages in the adoption area are filled with pit bulls while the rest are filled with Labrador and German Shepherd mixes and various other mutts. To me, this indicates that pit bulls can be stable and any dog can be aggressive if it isn't socialized. No one should get a dog without understanding the breed and how to handle the dog.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,289,082 times
My kids grew up with the sweetest boxer in the world. However, I would never have been so blind as to think our lovely pet wouldn't hurt another child. The dog doesn't know it is an innocent child. They only think about protecting their territory. The same is true for a pit bull and any other dog who can harm, disfigure or kill a child. The owner of a dog has to be responsible to protect the other people around their dog regardless of size or breed.

Quote:
No one should get a dog without understanding the breed and how to handle the dog.
I SO agree Tangodoodles!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Some dogs have a greater tendency to be vicious, and unfortunately pits bulls are associated with more of these kinds of attacks.
They also are the "breed of choice" for people looking for a guard dog, criminals, people who fight dogs, the "gangsta" look, ect. If they decided that poodles looked tough, you would be hearing about viscous poodles next.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM

542 posts, read 1,100,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer_goalie16 View Post
Dogs are never born mean or vicious as these were. They are either raised or beaten untill they act like this. Thoose dogs could have been perfectly nice if they were raised differently. It also may not be a good idea to keep that many dogs together with that type of a temperment. This could cause problems with territory or family members.
People aren't born vicious either, but people don't seem to get the same compassion as animals when they turn out to be bad because of their upbringing.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM

616 posts, read 1,163,473 times
My brother had a dog named, T-tune (a Rottweiler) he purchased before he got married. This dog was a big, sweet baby really.

My brother gets married and all is well. Then, he starts a family and all remains well with dog and new baby. Then, the second child comes along (a girl) and the dog seems fine until one day he decides to take a chunk out of the daughter's little face. I don't remember how many stitches it took to put her face back together, but it was an ungodly number!

As far as I know, she was not doing anything to cause the beloved family pet to bite. They think he was just being aggresive, because she had entered his territory in the backyard.

This was a sweet dog and unfortunately they put him down for it. I understood their reasoning, but it was tragic all the way around!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 PM

733 posts, read 1,930,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
My brother had a dog named, T-tune (a Rottweiler) he purchased before he got married. This dog was a big, sweet baby really.

My brother gets married and all is well. Then, he starts a family and all remains well with dog and new baby. Then, the second child comes along (a girl) and the dog seems fine until one day he decides to take a chunk out of the daughter's little face. I don't remember how many stitches it took to put her face back together, but it was an ungodly number!

As far as I know, she was not doing anything to cause the beloved family pet to bite. They think he was just being aggresive, because she had entered his territory in the backyard.

This was a sweet dog and unfortunately they put him down for it. I understood their reasoning, but it was tragic all the way around!
I have always had Rottweilers and they can be very sweet loving dogs who won't harm a fly but they HAVE to be well trained. They are a dominant breed, and you have to train them that YOU are the master they follow after EVERYONE in the family.

I have two rotties right now, but when my kids were babies I had another one (he passed away 2 years ago) and he was their protector. They could do ANYTHING to him, including taking his food, toys from his mouth, or grabbing his face, legs etc...I mean ANYTHING and he would just let them. he wouldn't let anyone near them except us, and he was always very gentle with them. He was also VERY WELL trained to be that way.

I know animals have their own personalities, and you never know, but with the right personality and the right training, any dog can be a good one. Just like any dog can be bad.

I had a vet tell me once the meanest dog he ever met was a golden retriever who had NOT BEEN abused, and would lash out at anything. He said people never think of goldens as being mean, but this dog was very mean, and aggressive. His point to me was...any dog can be bad.......

Sorry they put him down, dogs make mistakes too. We people make mistakes and should also take blame for when things go wrong. Because if there was ever even the littlest doubt there should always be great care to avoid bad situations....but things happen and it isn't alway something we can predict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting