Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,382,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
Tracy-
It is amazing( like night and day) when a student is able to concentrate and learn when he could never before. When you see some handwriting pieces of a child that was NOT on it and then goes on it..its amazing!
This is so true, after my nephew went on the meds, he actually sat and colored like 4 pages from a coloring book. He NEVER would have sat there that long before. I was amazed that he was so focused that he even finished one, let alone several!
The difference in his concentration level was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 AM

9,388 posts, read 15,117,178 times
Default NOT another ADHD diagnosis!!!!!!

The reason that your young son sat so long is that amphetamines act as despressants in young children. It is the same as your taking valium.

ADHD as presently diagnosed (read the DSMIV) is a behavioral problem AT BEST- not a neurological disorder. Is a scam of major proportions being foisted on the American public by the drug companies and perpetrated by ignorant school teachers who naturally want all the kids to stay quiet.

PLEASE do not medicate your child!!!! He is a little boy who may need some new method of discipline but he is VERY LIKELY completely normal. The long term effects of amphetamines on children are starting to become known- one of the biggest is stunted growth. Educate yourself on this before you go to see the doctors!!! Go on Medline and look up the side effects.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 AM

620 posts, read 1,958,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I completely see what you are saying, BUT don't put your kids on "drugs" just to help them concentrate and make them "B" students. Wouldn't it be great if we could put all of the kids on it? So, "F" students are all ADHD and need to be put on meds?

Meds are a LAST RESORT. Why would you put them on it if you don't even research other options? To me, picking the only option, one doctor gives you is ignorant. Ignorance is NOT an insult let me add. I only mean you HAVE TO research for your child's sake. You have options when you buy milk, you have options when you buy sanitary pads, you have options where to get fast food, you have options when you watch tv, why would the treatment for your child be ANY different?
You picked ONE part of my post. Did you even read the very beginning?
NO, NOT ALL STUDENTS need to be on it. That is NOT what I said. Reread my very first part of the post.

Also, I can say on average I see AT LEAST 5-8 students a year that have some TRUE form of ADD/ADHD or have been diagnosed. I am sure you are relating your experience to your one child. I was just giving my perspective from a teacher's point of view who has worked with many students over the years that has some diagnosis.

I work CLOSELY with my parents. Actually, I have had numerous requests for students to be in my classroom based on my philosophies especially when it comes to kids that have ADD/ADHD. I could care less if a students stands during lessons, walks around, etc, as long as he is not disrupting the learning process is one example. I try to make the classroom the least restrictive environment and it helps kids focus and concentrate.

Sometimes, medication is a last resort and I am sorry a parent shouldn't feel guilty for choosing that option. Also, a parent that doesn't agree with medication shouldn't feel guilty either. YOU HAVE TO DO WHATS RIGHT FOR YOUR CHILD!

When I see a child struggle reading and making a complete thought rational because their thought process is racing because of the lack of concentration; I would try to do everything in my power to help.This means documenting and showing the parent what I am seeing in the classroom. It is in the parent's hands then.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,245,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The reason that your young son sat so long is that amphetamines act as despressants in young children. It is the same as your taking valium.

ADHD as presently diagnosed (read the DSMIV) is a behavioral problem AT BEST- not a neurological disorder. Is a scam of major proportions being foisted on the American public by the drug companies and perpetrated by ignorant school teachers who naturally want all the kids to stay quiet.

PLEASE do not medicate your child!!!! He is a little boy who may need some new method of discipline but he is VERY LIKELY completely normal. The long term effects of amphetamines on children are starting to become known- one of the biggest is stunted growth. Educate yourself on this before you go to see the doctors!!! Go on Medline and look up the side effects.

SO TRUE! The fda could care less. These companies only want to sell you drugs. So, active kids who can't concentrate are being diagnosed way too loosely.

And as for using drugs as a last resort, that is fine, if you've traveled other routes! But I guarantee these parents are listening to a doctor, not doing research, and if they are not trying natural remedies and therapy, and are taking the easy pill exit!

And I am NOT going on one student. I attend seminars, have read medical journals, and I have MANY friends who have children with ADHD and three with autism. All have taken my advice and it is fair to say that 75% of them are OFF drugs and have seen BETTER results.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM

2,839 posts, read 10,022,278 times
Quote:
You picked ONE part of my post. Did you even read the very beginning?
NO, NOT ALL STUDENTS need to be on it. That is NOT what I said. Reread my very first part of the post.

Also, I can say on average I see AT LEAST 5-8 students a year that have some TRUE form of ADD/ADHD or have been diagnosed. I am sure you are relating your experience to your one child. I was just giving my perspective from a teacher's point of view who has worked with many students over the years that has some diagnosis.

I work CLOSELY with my parents. Actually, I have had numerous requests for students to be in my classroom based on my philosophies especially when it comes to kids that have ADD/ADHD. I could care less if a students stands during lessons, walks around, etc, as long as he is not disrupting the learning process is one example. I try to make the classroom the least restrictive environment and it helps kids focus and concentrate.

Sometimes, medication is a last resort and I am sorry a parent shouldn't feel guilty for choosing that option. Also, a parent that doesn't agree with medication shouldn't feel guilty either. YOU HAVE TO DO WHATS RIGHT FOR YOUR CHILD!

When I see a child struggle reading and making a complete thought rational because their thought process is racing because of the lack of concentration; I would try to do everything in my power to help.This means documenting and showing the parent what I am seeing in the classroom. It is in the parent's hands then.
Do you mean 5-8 kids out of a 25-30 student classroom??

Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM

620 posts, read 1,958,482 times
No, I teach fifth grade and we switch classes so it was actually closer to 60 students.

Last year was my highest number of students that were on some form of medication. Six did have add/adhd. I also had a child with Aspergars in my classroom for most of the day.

I did not diagnose these students...the doctors did before they even came to me. Also, I know many parents that went through the ENTIRE battery of tests when the child was diagnosed. They went to a child psych and did the couple of days worth of evaluation.

I realize there are MANY doctor feel goods out there and some students are put on the medication that shouldn't be. Many people abuse the drugs, I am sure.

Last year, I had a parent that asked me to fill out the evaluation. Her son at one time was on it years before. I filled out honestly what I saw in the classroom. He was an A student that concentrated, behaved, showed no signs of impulse, etc. The parent was LIVID that I was very honest.

Her son said that his mom was mad because he couldn't be on medication because she wanted him to be so she could borrow the pills to loose weight.( OUT OF THE MOUTH OF BABES.) She told me he was uncontrollable at home. I told her that he did not display that in the classroom.

I KNOW some people want their kids on just so they can "control" them. Please, do not think I am advocating that.

All I am saying is RESEARCH all sides of it. Some parents do research....and find that medication from the doctor is the best way to go in THEIR situation. Who am I to tell a parent they are wrong?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM

9,388 posts, read 15,117,178 times
Here is a brief overview on this phenomenon which is primarily U.S. based by the way.....

The Totality Of The ADD/ADHD Fraud

Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 AM

4,296 posts, read 8,249,936 times
I started taking adderall recently...and it has made such a positive change in my life.

I wish I would have taken it in school. It was suggested to my mother, and she refused. "Not my child!" This from one of the worlds worst mothers. I have the worlds hardest time getting anything done or focusing for more than brief periods of time. It is sad too. I barely graduated High School, even though when tested I had an IQ of almost 150, because I just could not pay attention, no matter how hard I tried. I felt like I was driven by a motor all of the time. I was the same way as a previous poster, I self medicated myself with INORDINATE amounts of caffeine and sugar, as they almost have the exact opposite effect on me as normal people. I also had an uncontrollable urge to eat and eat and eat, as if I was driven to do it. I would eat something, then 5 minutes later be up again going through the pantry, at the point where I literally was over 400lbs before I had bariatric surgery.

The older I got, the worse it got. People would always ask me if I was ok, because I just plain looked preoccupied, and I was. I would have so many thoughts running simultaneously, that literally it felt like my brain hurt. My girlfriend told me that I looked like I was in pain, and that it was obvious that my mind was elsewhere ALL OF THE TIME. At work, I would get in trouble for acting out in meetings, but I was not doing it on purpose, it was almost like I was compelled to say and do things, even if I was telling myself not to say and do it. I was and am known as an amazing multitasker at work, but it was only because I could never focus on anything for more than 5 minutes at a stretch, so I was constantly doing other things. It made such a struggle for me in so many aspects of my life.

I finally went to a doctor recently, told him of my struggles. I was definitely not pill shopping, or looking for anything. He prescribed it for me on a trial basis, to see how it would go.

When I showed up for a follow up, he said he was shocked at the difference. Not only had I lost some weight, but he even said that when he walked in, I looked "happy, well rested, and relieved." So many people over the last couple months have made similar comments, that I look like an incredible weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

It has.

I am not saying your child needs it, or that it is the right answer for him/her

Just please, please, for your CHILDS sake, have it looked into by a reputable doctor. It is not a kick to your ego if there is something wrong with him. It is not your fault, and does not make you a bad parent.

I look back at my past, and just wish things would have been different for me.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM

134 posts, read 592,754 times
Quote:
Tracy-
I want to wish you the best of luck with this situation. You will hear kinds of horror stories about kids on meds and you will hear success stories. The main thing you need to remember is to do what is RIGHT FOR YOUR CHILD. Research everything.

I will give you advice from the teacher's standpoint. ( I took a year off because we moved.) Your post angered me actually to think a "nurse" would call you and tell you this ON THE PHONE! Was this the first time you had heard anything remotely "wrong" with your son in the classroom? Why hadn't the teacher called a meeting with you and your dh before now? It is December and by now if there something glaring a teacher would have called imo!

REMEMBER, A TEACHER IS NOT ABLE TO PRACTICE MEDICINE OR DIAGNOSE! It bothers me that this ADHD was even mentioned. We are told over and over and over again...YOU NEVER DIAGNOSE! Yes, we can suggest in a round about way by proof which is documentation! I cannot believe that they are labeling this child so early!

Ask to see the documentation that the teacher should have on your son if there is an issue she is truly concerned about.

Ask to observe your son in the classroom over several days. Stay only about 30 minutes ( out of the way) and see for yourself the interaction that is being displayed.

Also, be prepared for LOTS of paper work from your doctor. Your doctor should not be just "giving" you meds for your son. You should be filling out a history ( long) about your son and his birth. You will most likely rate his action and behavior usually on a scale 1-5 or something like that.

The teacher will then have to fill out a form too. She will be rating his behavior in the classroom. Usually, another teacher such as music, art, etc. will have to fill out one too.

ALL of the forms have to basically agree before a student is just handed meds.

Also, whatever you do PLEASE DO NOT JUST GO TO A DOCTOR that doesn't do follow ups every few months if your child does go on meds! You should be working closely especially at the beginning with the doctor and teachers! I have to fill out papers on a weekly basis for about two months on students that were new to the drugs to see if they were adjusting. Then again, I have to stay on top of the parents to take their children BACK to the doctor because clearly the meds weren't working.

If your child truly does need to go on them, please do not feel upset. It could literally save your child from a long road ahead. I have seen students go from Fs to A/Bs. I have had parents break down and tears and say FINALLY my child is able to learn.

It is amazing( like night and day) when a student is able to concentrate and learn when he could never before. When you see some handwriting pieces of a child that was NOT on it and then goes on it..its amazing!

I tell my parents in the conferences that are contemplating and processing the new diagnosis... You would do whatever you had to do if your child couldn't see by getting glasses.You would do whatever you needed to do if your child was diabetic.

This is no different. I wish you the best of luck.

Sorry this got so long, but I thought it was important to tell a different perspective.
my daughtler was like that too before she was on med they had a hard time getting her to do her work or not to interupt in class once she started the med she was completely differnt she was calmer she wasnt interupting the class ,

Old 12-03-2008, 11:24 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,373,894 times
No matter what I have to wander why their are so many hyper active and kids that can't concentrate now days. I went to school starting in the mid 50's and school behavior was never like it is these days. I was shocked at the behaivor I saw when I first visted schools in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting