Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM

121 posts, read 448,492 times

Advertisements

I have one child, but am taking care of my niece (i guess until she's 18). When I took over guardianship of her, I was not aware that she had ADHD. She takes medication to help her focus in school. Besides the WebMD and information that doctors can give me, can anyone give me some information on what it's like dealing with a typical kid with ADHD. Is it common for a child with ADHD to lie, be impulsive or has a dificult time acting her age/ moving a lot? My husband and I are constantly telling her the same things over and over again. I am just curious as she is very dificult to work with at times. I am not use to this and am committed to helping this child, but this can be exhausting at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 PM

250 posts, read 910,754 times
yes, typical. I have two boys, one has adhd the other is very typical but just 'active'. Two totally different things. I have found alot of info here:
Attention Deficit Disorder | ADHD Symptoms, Medication, Treatment, Diagnosis, Parenting ADD Children and More: Information from ADDitude

I wish I could offer you more advice, I'm fairly new to the adhd world myself.
hang in there

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times
The short answer is yes. Children with ADHD can be impulsive, move a lot, need to have things repeated frequently and be difficult.

However, it depends on the child. I have two children with ADHD and they have different "symptoms" when it is time for a med change. My oldest will be very impulsive, have difficulty paying attention, not want to do anything mentally taxing. My youngest will talk nonstop, figit, and try to avoid homework.

What is the reason you now have custody of your niece? I ask because maybe some of the reasons you are having a difficult time with her could have something to do with her situation with her parents.

I would make her a doctor appt and discuss your concerns with him/her. Keep a list of her symptoms and take it with you. You could also contact her teachers and see how she is doing in school. It may be time to change/increase her meds.

Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
The short answer is yes. Children with ADHD can be impulsive, move a lot, need to have things repeated frequently and be difficult.

However, it depends on the child. I have two children with ADHD and they have different "symptoms" when it is time for a med change. My oldest will be very impulsive, have difficulty paying attention, not want to do anything mentally taxing. My youngest will talk nonstop, figit, and try to avoid homework.

What is the reason you now have custody of your niece? I ask because maybe some of the reasons you are having a difficult time with her could have something to do with her situation with her parents.

I would make her a doctor appt and discuss your concerns with him/her. Keep a list of her symptoms and take it with you. You could also contact her teachers and see how she is doing in school. It may be time to change/increase her meds.

Good Luck!
Thank you, that is really helpful. I have custody because of unforseen event that happen to my brother 2 years ago not allowing him to physically or mentally take care of her. Other parent, not involved. It really threw me for a loop because I wasn't aware that she had ADHD because she was living with someone else for the last 2 years.

I will definitely make the list. It seems like there's something new everyday. I guess I wasn't ready either.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
CHADD - Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder CHADD Live | Understanding AD/HD is a great resource for more information. Take a look at their website and see if there is a CHADD support group in your area. You can learn a lot from other parents as well as professionals.

It sounds like your neice has had a somewhat chaotic life already with moving from places she is familiar with and having new caregivers. That type of unrest and uncertainty makes the ADHD even more challenging. I would imagine that as she settles in and receives consistent care and guidance, things should improve. Remember - consistency and calm are the two best tricks for dealing with kids who's behavior is inconsistent or disruptive.

Good luck - I'm glad you are there for her!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Children with ADHD frequently-- nearly universally-- have poor attention and poor impulse control. You tell her to finish breakfast and get dressed for school, she goes to change out of her pajamas, but-- look, there's a cat that's just begging to be played with! Twenty minutes later she's in her PJs, sitting at the table folding paper into an elaborate crane or frog (because the cat needed a toy, so she went to look for something to make one, and all she could find was the origami paper she got for Christmas, and she remembered her school was doing Japan this week in geography and she needed a project that was due yesterday but she'd forgotten, and no, she hadn't realized the cat was in the bedroom eating the cream cheese off the bagel she left upside down on her pillow)...and you want to pull your hair out. And yes, kids with executive functioning skills (the official name for what these kids lack) are often immature. Think of the kids' book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". Life with ADHD is like that, exactly.

There's a group called CHADD that is for parents of ADHD kids. You might find them to be a good resource.

The other thing that strikes me though is that she sounds like she's had quite an eventful young life. I'm not saying that to excuse inappropriate behavior, but it probably goes a long way to explain it. My guess is with the stable home you're providing, and firm guidance & discipline, the lying and acting out will improve over time. Good luck to both of you!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Thank you so much for the advice!!! I really appreciate it.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
When Someone You Love Has ADHD - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Adult ADHD/ADD (http://health.msn.com/health-topics/adhd/adult/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100253978&page=1 - broken link)

Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
How old is your neice? Just curious. Some of the things you mentioned are semi-normal for certain ages. Granted, ADHD is definitely more challenging.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
[quote=Aconite;12852015] You tell her to finish breakfast and get dressed for school, she goes to change out of her pajamas, but-- look, there's a cat that's just begging to be played with! Twenty minutes later she's in her PJs, sitting at the table folding paper into an elaborate crane or frog (because the cat needed a toy, so she went to look for something to make one, and all she could find was the origami paper she got for Christmas, and she remembered her school was doing Japan this week in geography and she needed a project that was due yesterday but she'd forgotten, and no, she hadn't realized the cat was in the bedroom eating the cream cheese off the bagel she left upside down on her pillow)...and you want to pull your hair out. And yes, kids with executive functioning skills (the official name for what these kids lack) are often immature. Think of the kids' book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". Life with ADHD is like that, exactly.quote]

My friend has a T-shirt that says... "People say I have ADHD but.. Hey Look There's A Chicken!!"

Funny but not so funny if you live with it. The acting out is normal for kids with ADHD. The inability to concentrate on a task, yep. Some can't complete a thought if they are not on their meds. My 12 year old literally can't get dressed without her meds in her system at least 20 minutes before the attempt. She will get her stuff out and start to put on her undies and get distracted. You have to constantly remind her, Julie did you put on your socks? Shoes? Brush your hair? Brush your teeth? And on and on and on. It is a terrible way to have to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting