Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM

168 posts, read 672,612 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what you all do...or did (as a child yourself and/or if your children are grown) for family fun, together with your children and maybe the spouse along too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I think the most fun we have as a family is just going out to the desert and ratting around. Hiking about and seeing the critters and all the coool stuff we find laying around. especially after a good rain. The stuff that comes up out of the sand is amazing. We've found old wagons, pieces of gear like belt buckles and old guns, you name it. Leaves ya wondering just who and when passed that way. The smell of the sagebrush, and the panoramic views way out in the middle of nowhere just gets in our blood. And it's quiet...so quiet. I think that these are the times we are closest as a family. No ringing phones or TV's blaring, makes for a good atmosphere for just talking with each other. Yep...quality time.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I think the most fun we have as a family is just going out to the desert and ratting around. Hiking about and seeing the critters and all the coool stuff we find laying around. especially after a good rain. The stuff that comes up out of the sand is amazing. We've found old wagons, pieces of gear like belt buckles and old guns, you name it. Leaves ya wondering just who and when passed that way. The smell of the sagebrush, and the panoramic views way out in the middle of nowhere just gets in our blood. And it's quiet...so quiet. I think that these are the times we are closest as a family. No ringing phones or TV's blaring, makes for a good atmosphere for just talking with each other. Yep...quality time.
Sounds like the desert version of our Northwoods outings. We usually go camping a few times every summer. Time spent swimming, hiking, and staring into the campfire while eating s'mores. Nothing better. I especially love hiking, watching the sunlight come through the treetops, startling an interesting animal, finding interesting plants and beautiful wildflowers, we always come back with a lot of pictures and appreciation for nature. What's really great is the kids excitement at new discoveries that they make.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 AM

In our family: Hiking, bike riding, horseback riding, martial arts, archery, badminton, family jam sessions (as in musical instrument playing...where I always feel the lamer cuz I'm classically trained, and everybody else is great at improv), competitive video games, watching movies together, then talking about them, learning chess, playing Scrabble, reading books together out loud, then later talking about the story, gardening, taking care of the pets as a family affair, and, yes, cleaning house together, though this gets groans, of course. *snicker*

Just so you don't think we all don't do anything but play, we do some things on a daily basis, but most just happen occasionally. We're always doing something, though, most always extended family included.

Last edited by EJRuek; 10-11-2008 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
One thing we do is have a monthly family sleepover. The kids, husband, and I pile into our king size bed with popcorn and a movie. Then the kids slumber in our bed with my husband all night, while I high tail it to one of their beds after the movie. I'm a super light sleeper and as much as I'd like all four of us to sleep in one bed, I won't sleep well.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
The most fun we had recently was just packing a picnic lunch and going to the park. My husband and I had some alone, romantic time together, while watching our son fly his kite.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Oh. Those are both nice ideas. Kite flying and watching a movie in bed with popcorn and crunchies. I love doing "different." The idea of having popcorn in bed and waking up with a gummy worm stuck to my forehead sounds like a family grin moment for later telling. And kite flying -- I'd forgotten all about doing that. Great ideas!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:55 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
We liked to play croquet, Scrabble, and have water balloon fights.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 PM

Oooooooooooo. Haha. Croquet I haven't played since I was a child. I didn't even know they still made the sets. Another great idea. But water balloon fights? Now that one I'm marking down as a next summer party idea. Fun!!

Old 10-11-2008, 04:10 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
We camp and hike, too. We have "mommy date nights" and "daddy date nights" with our oldest. I will take him to the movies or for ice cream; my husband will take him golfing or to a high school athletic game.

Growing up, we would go tubing (down the river) a couple times a year as a family. There was also an annual canoe trip with my uncles for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting