Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,354,476 times

Advertisements

when i was a kid we went camping a lot and things like Ice fishing with my dad. he also, along with my uncles, used to take all us kids up to our camp in maine.

i don't do that with my kids since my hubby is not into camping, well we really haven't had time really.

Nowadays, I like to trade kids with my cousin sometimes. she takes the boys and I take the girls. we go out for pizza, come home, do a craft, then they all sleep on the floor in my daughter's room. in the morning we make a fancy pancake breakfast and use the china (that my uncle got at a flea market for $1). they love it. we call it a "girls night" last time there were 4 of them here.

my son, i usually reserver friday night for. we go roller skating, movies, different places. just anything w/out his sister. she gets more time with me every day. lately we've been to six flags to make use out of our season's passes. he loves to have "movie night" where we make popcorn, and set out a bunch of bowls of different snacks and drink out of special movie glasses and turn the lights out and stay up late.

we love to play games as well, the latest is Zingo. the kids love it and both can play, ages 7 and 3.

we also go over to my aunts house once a week where the adults play contract rummy and the kids all hang out. the girls play upstairs and the boys play video games downstairs. there's a whole gang, and the kids love it when we are "going to cards" they really get to bond with their cousins and it keeps the family strong. I love my family!!!

of course we go to the park, have picnics, go for walks, bowling, ice skating, apple picking, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 AM

168 posts, read 673,238 times
Oh, I love both those series, Chronicles of Narnia and Little House. Also have the old Hardy Boys series I picked up in an old book store. I'm a firm believer that kids need to teeth on books.

Anyone do a "neighborhood" reading group for teens where everybody listens to "a reader"? A friend of mine started this, and it got so popular that, when it rains, it now moves from the park to another neighbor's house who has a giant rec room in the basement.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 AM

859 posts, read 2,150,380 times
Boating, Camping, Board Games, NHRA , *garage Games* ( we have our Pool table, airhockey and stuff out there) do that when it gets nasty out side we also have the neighbors kids over sometimes to make it more intersting, fishing, Hunting, Both Boys do CC so we busy with that right now, Sissy loves to Bake and cook with me in the Kitchen in the wintermonths for baked Gifts

Us girls do our Toe Nails & Finger Nails whiel talking about her school time, and *girl* time. Boys and Mike will go play on their PS2 their racing games ( yes this can get the whole Family together)
Go for walks with the Boxers, not all members of the Family do ALL things together ALL the time. Sometimes its just cool to have one on one time with them

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 AM

So what do you do when one or another child decides they don't want to participate anymore? One of the neighbor boys "turned sullen," and his parents "reacted" by basically bullying him. I'm staying out of it, but it bothers me because I look at it as just a phase, but I think that their reaction is going to make it such a big deal in such a punitive way that the kid will suffer.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 AM

788 posts, read 2,112,620 times
I don't know what I would do - but I am willing to bet there are deeper issues. It's not just that the kid doesn't like monopoly. Not participating isn't an option in my home - but I've never had to deal with an extended dose of sullen attitude (not yet anyway!)

Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 AM

Well, I've gotten some great new ideas from you folks, and all I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you. One idea suggested by a member of my family was to go play "paintball." I'm a bit hesitant on that one. Anyone tried it? It looks mean, dangerous, maybe a bit painful, and a bit too aggressive to me -- like playing combat or something.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM

859 posts, read 2,150,380 times
Well I dont make the kids play, but normally they never turn down a Game,,, not much to do here in the country

But forcing them too, makes no sense to me.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,372,841 times
My kids and I love to go exploring in the woods. Find cool leaves, holes in trees, branches that are like swings,animal tracks, moss and all kinds of cool stuff. Sometimes you'll even find animal bones!! We try to figure out what animal they're from.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 PM

The woods and forests are my favorite places to go, too. During hunting season, though -- nope. Too many "from the city" trophy hunters out there who really don't know an elk from a mule and are subject to "buck fever" if the brush rattles even though they hear voices.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,372,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
The woods and forests are my favorite places to go, too. During hunting season, though -- nope. Too many "from the city" trophy hunters out there who really don't know an elk from a mule and are subject to "buck fever" if the brush rattles even though they hear voices.
Don't blame you!! We are in the midwest, so it's deer hunting season that we avoid the big woods. We do enjoy the Forest Preserves and paths along the river, though. Just did it last weekend to enjoy the changing colors! This weekend will be even better, as the colors are peaking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting