Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:00 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,024,549 times

Advertisements

OMAHA, Neb. -- Two more children have been left at hospitals since a father dropped off his nine children at Creighton University Medical Center Wednesday night.

UPDATE: 2 More Kids Abandoned; 11 Total In Past 24 Hours - Local News Story - KETV Omaha

Should he be charged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
The article does not say why the children were dropped off or anything about the father.

I hope these children are taken care of in the manner they deserve. What a life to live at such a young age.

Interesting to know that the Safe Haven law does not mean that the father does not have responsibilty for his children anymore, though, and that he is still expected to return for them. I had always thought a Safe Haven law meant parents were basically giving their child over to the state. Guess it's not the case.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,011 times
For whatever reason, this father must have been overwhelmed caring for these children. Makes one wonder why anyone would have so many kids.

Back in July some of the lawmakers were worried this would happen. Now their wording of that law is coming back to haunt them. Because of that wording, the state is obligated to take all kids below the age of 19, no questions asked.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,846 times
Hopefully the kids are being well taken care of. The Dad must have been in a very bad place!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
The silver lining is, at least he didn't kill the kids. Let's count the blessings in this case.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,725 times
Amen to that, bibit! I think with the economic problems the country is dealing with right now, we are going to see a lot more of this. Let's hope this is a wake up call to the politicians, and that the needs of a group who has no voice will finally be heard.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,024,549 times
Here's his quote...

"I was with her for 17 years, and then she was gone. What was I going to do?" Staton said. "We raised them together. I didn't think I could do it alone. I fell apart. I couldn't take care of them."
Moderator cut: no advertising
If that's not honest, I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The article does not say why the children were dropped off or anything about the father.

I hope these children are taken care of in the manner they deserve. What a life to live at such a young age.

Interesting to know that the Safe Haven law does not mean that the father does not have responsibilty for his children anymore, though, and that he is still expected to return for them. I had always thought a Safe Haven law meant parents were basically giving their child over to the state. Guess it's not the case.

Last edited by jeannie216; 09-26-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,984 times
Such admiration for the dad!

Many other parents in that situation would have either beat them, neglected them, killed them....some serious damage!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Here's his quote...

"I was with her for 17 years, and then she was gone. What was I going to do?" Staton said. "We raised them together. I didn't think I could do it alone. I fell apart. I couldn't take care of them."

If that's not honest, I don't know what is.
Thank you for posting. I see that the website article was updated several hours after this initial post b/c the first time the article gave little info other than he dropped them off.

What a wise decision. Not sure if he said "to hell with the kids" but instead was responsible in the way he thought was best for his kids.

May there be a positive outcome for this family who is clearly in serious need.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM

30 posts, read 83,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Such admiration for the dad!

Many other parents in that situation would have either beat them, neglected them, killed them....some serious damage!

I agree with this.. At least the children will now have a better chance at life .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting