Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,726,988 times

Advertisements

Borzoi Reader | Catalog | The Language Police by Diane Ravitch

This kind of censorship must stop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM

696 posts, read 2,023,798 times
That's ridiculous. I don't think people would be so offended by 'women being depicted as caregivers', etc., if they weren't told they should be. Things have been taken way too far.

I had my daughter read Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies in 5th grade (homeschooling) and she loved both. In fact, she has an extremely strong interest in psychology and read Lord of the Flies 3 times.

Local libraries have lists of banned books, but have them in the library. The can be read by anybody.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:20 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,220,504 times
Looks like an excellent read. IMO our society has gone over the top when it comes to politically correctedness. (In the good ole days you could tell Johnny he was stupid, and he and his parents either got with the program and got serious about education, or he sank.And life went on...) When it comes to reading, you become stronger yourself when you read about issues and times that have past...we learn from history. We learn what makes us human. Oh I am a great proponent of reading...even to the point of reading a lot of stuff I do not agree with. But that only reinforces that which I do beleive in. If you don't know what to be against, then what shall you be for???

Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM

650 posts, read 2,187,322 times
Thank God that we homeschool.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Looks like an excellent read. IMO our society has gone over the top when it comes to politically correctedness. (In the good ole days you could tell Johnny he was stupid, and he and his parents either got with the program and got serious about education, or he sank.And life went on...) When it comes to reading, you become stronger yourself when you read about issues and times that have past...we learn from history. We learn what makes us human. Oh I am a great proponent of reading...even to the point of reading a lot of stuff I do not agree with. But that only reinforces that which I do beleive in. If you don't know what to be against, then what shall you be for???
Exactly! School districts whitewash anything of interest to kids, and kids never get interested in anything because its soooo boring to them

Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM

696 posts, read 2,023,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Exactly! School districts whitewash anything of interest to kids, and kids never get interested in anything because its soooo boring to them
But that's the direction society has gone in for years now. People over-explain to kids, over-compensate for any deficit (in EVERY way), over monitor, etc.. Things kids say to other kids are scrutinized, criticized, disected for hidden meanings and possible deep seated psychological trauma. Kids seldom, if ever go outside and invent games, climb trees, fight with each other. Kids are constantly being told how they should feel, how they should think and what to say.

Is it any surprise that kids live in a sterile environment for the most part? This includes what they are allowed to read.

Mothers sterilize their houses, their children, their surroundings. Does it surprise you that they sterilize what they read as well?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
But that's the direction society has gone in for years now. People over-explain to kids, over-compensate for any deficit (in EVERY way), over monitor, etc.. Things kids say to other kids are scrutinized, criticized, disected for hidden meanings and possible deep seated psychological trauma. Kids seldom, if ever go outside and invent games, climb trees, fight with each other. Kids are constantly being told how they should feel, how they should think and what to say.

Is it any surprise that kids live in a sterile environment for the most part? This includes what they are allowed to read.

Mothers sterilize their houses, their children, their surroundings. Does it surprise you that they sterilize what they read as well?
Yeah---and when these kids get out in the real world and face adversity for the first time? Then what?

Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,220,504 times
Thenwhat? Well for starters, that sense of entitlement is gonna get a doozy of a wake up call!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,029,885 times
I really think all parenst should read Gavin DeBecker's Protecting the Gift, but that's just me.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I really think all parenst should read Gavin DeBecker's Protecting the Gift, but that's just me.

Why? What is that book about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting