Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,071,262 times

Advertisements

My oldest daughter TRIED it one day. She told me she was going to call the cops if I spanked her. I gave her 2 swats on the BEHIND, then said," Here is the phone." She didn't call them. So I did. The police officer came to my house....and told her not to waste his time. I have never had that problem again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 PM

115 posts, read 541,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
My oldest daughter TRIED it one day. She told me she was going to call the cops if I spanked her. I gave her 2 swats on the BEHIND, then said," Here is the phone." She didn't call them. So I did. The police officer came to my house....and told her not to waste his time. I have never had that problem again.
[b] Thanks for that writthen example. People here think I'm talking about beating their children. My first posting Never said anything about beating your child.I'm talking about letting our parents take our roles back as parents[. /B]

Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,071,262 times
In Oklahoma the State House passed a Law/Resolution whatever. It is ok to punish your child with a spanking. You can spank your child on the BEHIND with your hand, a paddle (described in the written version but I don't use a paddle so I don't care) or a belt less than xxx whatever, again I don't use it so I don't care. BUT you cannot leave a mark of any kind that lasts more than 2 hours. In my opinion if you leave a mark that has or will last more than 2 hours it should be considered abuse. That is to excessive. It isn't necessary AT ALL. If it is a daily occurance, it is excessive. My children KNOW what they can and cannot do. They know how they are expected to act in public and at home. They know if I give them "the look" and they don't respond in the correct manner.. it will not be a good thing. It might be a spanking when they get home. It is RARELY this bad. I do not thing after the age of 10 or so it does much good. If you don't have it lined out before that you have lost your battles. My oldest is 15 and youngest is 11. I make them miss a week of Girl Scout Meetings or activities or Tae Kwon Do or that sleepover they been looking forward to. Usually that works reaaaaaaal good.
I did do the Dr. Phil Treatment for the oldest one time though. She wouldn't clean her room so I packed up ALL her stuff except 5 sets of clothes and her bedding in boxes. I made her earn them back one at a time. With good behavior and keeping it picked up. Never had to do that again either hahahaha.

Last edited by okpondlady; 09-07-2008 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Just Cause...

Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,796 times
I just remember back in the day when teachers paddled students when they misbehaved..maybe they should start that again instead of parents over medicating their children...hmmmm

Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM

115 posts, read 541,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
I just remember back in the day when teachers paddled students when they misbehaved..maybe they should start that again instead of parents over medicating their children...hmmmm
I agree but It seems nowadays the child either want to fight the teachers or plot to kill em.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
There is a big line between abuse and a spank...I was spanked and so were many many others in the world and we were not "abused". Go ahead and take away their privileges (their wii's their tvs their bikes etc) and see how much respect u get they won't care at all. They know they will get it back.
I agree. There's a huge difference between abuse and a spank. Sometimes a quick whack is the most effective way to get their attention. Has nothing to do with abuse.

My child has never played that card (calling authorities), because she knows how good she has it, and knows she would end up in foster care. I smacked her mouth once a couple months ago, but haven't had to spank her for years. When she was little, I did on occasion, though.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Yeah mine gets a spanking here and there....he isn't old enough to tell me he is going to call someone..plus he isn't allowed to use my cell phone at all and we dont have a house phone so I just solved that problem..lol

Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 79,690 times
My four year old has recently decided to go through his terrible twos. I suppose he either saw it somewhere or just decided one day that he wanted to throw these horrible fits when he didn't like something. Screaming so loud the neighbors can hear him, throwing things, yelling at me. I can't get a word in edgewise. So I either tap his butt or I will lightly flick his hand or foot so he will understand that his fits aren't okay and I would like to talk to him. He gets angry with me, not hurt, and he lets me know so. But after I get his attention, I let him know. Either no treats or TV or park or whatever he was looking forward to.

He's doing a lot better now because of that.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 AM

Yeah my 6 yr old goes back to the 2yr old rather often..ugh...thanks grandma for spoiling him...grrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting