Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,257,517 times

Advertisements

This article does a very good job of summarizing a lot of the objections I have with current public sentiments, including MADD, PETA and the Center for Science in the Public Interest:

CHICAGO — A new TV commercial shows kids eating hot dogs in a school cafeteria and one little boy's haunting lament: "I was dumbfounded when the doctor told me I have late-stage colon cancer."

It's a startling revelation in an ad that vilifies one of America's most beloved, if maligned, foods, while stoking fears about a dreaded disease.

But the boy doesn't have cancer. Neither do two other kids in the ad who claim to be afflicted.

"My concern about this campaign is it's giving the indication that the occasional hot dog in the school lunch is going to increase cancer risk," said Colleen Doyle, the American Cancer Society's nutrition director. "An occasional hot dog isn't going to increase that risk."

Pro-vegetarian TV commercial links hot dogs with colon cancer | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/news/254735 - broken link)

And an earlier article about the attack on soft drinks:

The Anti-Pleasure Principle: The "food police" and the pseudoscience of self-denial - Reason Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,585,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This article does a very good job of summarizing a lot of the objections I have with current public sentiments, including MADD, PETA and the Center for Science in the Public Interest:

CHICAGO — A new TV commercial shows kids eating hot dogs in a school cafeteria and one little boy's haunting lament: "I was dumbfounded when the doctor told me I have late-stage colon cancer."

It's a startling revelation in an ad that vilifies one of America's most beloved, if maligned, foods, while stoking fears about a dreaded disease.

But the boy doesn't have cancer. Neither do two other kids in the ad who claim to be afflicted.

"My concern about this campaign is it's giving the indication that the occasional hot dog in the school lunch is going to increase cancer risk," said Colleen Doyle, the American Cancer Society's nutrition director. "An occasional hot dog isn't going to increase that risk."

Pro-vegetarian TV commercial links hot dogs with colon cancer | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/news/254735 - broken link)

And an earlier article about the attack on soft drinks:

The Anti-Pleasure Principle: The "food police" and the pseudoscience of self-denial - Reason Magazine
If you're such a fan of meat, then keep eating it, what do you care?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,671,013 times
Read "The China Study" to get some idea of just how bad a meat-based diet can be for you.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 AM

You're proving my point!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,367,546 times
The proper counter argument, of course, is to bring up the proven carcinogenic properties of the pesticides used on most commercially-grown agricultural produce, as well as the as yet unknown side effects of genetically-altered fruits and vegetables.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 AM

Think they may be undermining mom's who serve their kids hot dogs for occasional meals?

Considering the article validating the lack of health risk, do you think telling kids mom is trying to kill them may be a tad excessive?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,298,702 times
If this were true the guys who eat 50-60 hot dogs on the Fourth of July be dead already.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,294,113 times
I think all cancer is : Virus on the attack of a weakened body that the body in a panic tries to encapsulate in tissue(tumor).

They wont cure it no matter what causes it. Too much money in the business of death and dying...I mean "healthcare"

Its not the hot dog. But the hot dog isnt helping much.

If you want to google:
EWG body burden

Old 08-27-2008, 10:21 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,540,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Read "The China Study" to get some idea of just how bad a meat-based diet can be for you.
And read some studies about the traditional Inuit diet (back before they started eating "white man" foods). A meat based diet can be quite healthy.

When I want hot dogs or sausages or anything of that sort I make it myself. I can't bring myself to eat the commercial garbage...still, a hot dog now and then (store bought) probably won't kill most people.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,818,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think all cancer is : Virus on the attack of a weakened body that the body in a panic tries to encapsulate in tissue(tumor).

They wont cure it no matter what causes it. Too much money in the business of death and dying...I mean "healthcare"

Its not the hot dog. But the hot dog isnt helping much.

If you want to google:
EWG body burden
I think this is: Not science.

During the mad-cow panic there was a good point raised about hot dogs. The prions that cause mad-cow disease have never been found in the muscle tissue of an affected individual. They are isolated to brain and bundled nerve tissue. You can't get that unless you are eating a meat by-product food like hot dogs, vienna sausage (shudder) or bologne. Those were the dangerous foods (if you could call it danger). As far as cancer caused by hotdogs, I think we probably have bigger fish to fry, so to speak, in our day-to-day lives.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 08-27-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting