Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,305,847 times

Advertisements

Do you raise your kids the same way you are, or do you give them the freedom of choice? Also, do you get judged a lot for choosing to raise your kids as vegetarians? I ask that because I have noticed the few vegan friends I have with kids often get comments from other people about raising their kids like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,239,284 times
I let them eat anything and everything, but my 3 year old is a default vegetarian (I really can't get him to eat meat unless it's hidden within a pasta). So, I focus on making sure there is enough protein in his diet. The baby, of course, eats everything from high quality vegan muffins to the crud inside the floor vents (I can't take credit).

I'm not a vegetarian for ethical reasons, it's simply because I dislike meat and dairy products, so I don't think I face the same issues as an ethical vegan/vegetarian. I cook meat 3x a day or more for my family members.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
You might get more responses if this were in the Food Forum- Vegetarian Subforum.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,219,611 times
I was vegetarian for 20+ years and now I'm pescitarian. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I know that she will not be consuming cow milk. 20% of dairy farms in the US are reported by the FDA to have bouts of paratuberculosis. Who knows what the actual numbers are. My twin had crohn's and there has been some links between this TB and crohn's (bacterium found in removed colons of patients). So, given her genetic risk I'm just going to keep that out of her diet; probably cattle as well. I don't want her consuming just any old thing factory farmed. If she's gonna eat meat I want it to come from a local farm that we can visit. There's a bison farm not too far from here that my husband may check out.

As far as what other people judging goes, eh, I doubt anyone would blink an eye in my neck of the woods. Metro-boston is culturally eclectic so there's plenty of vegetarians as well as pesci's.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,453,251 times
I am a vegan who has raised two vegan children - now 18 and 16. Yes, all kinds of people had something to say.

"You're not going to let them choose?"

Well, we all raise our kids in our homes with our morals. My husband and I believe that using animals for food is morally wrong. So, we didn't offer that choice any more than we did the choice to lie, steal, or cheat.

"Don't you think you'll stunt their growth/Don't you think they won't develop properly?"

Life stopped people from asking this. They were/are both at the top of their class, they're both athletes, and my son is 6/4".

I guess people will always have something to say. I just live and let live.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,807,438 times
My wife is a pescatarian (sp?) and my career path has led me to hold positions where I was a manager in many food processing facilities slaughtering animals, so you couldn't ask for a more divided household

My kids are always offered choices and my 5 year old eats meat, no problem. My younger 3 year old doesn't eat much of anything but that's another thread.

We had a discussion before my kids were born on what we were going to do and decided that our kids will make their own decision and it's working out well so far.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 AM

177 posts, read 408,669 times
I feed my kid what I eat, just like any other parent. When my kid is a teenager and out with friends, she'll eat whatever she likes, just like any other teenager. I don't get the issue?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,152,970 times
Hubbie is a vegan but DS eats meat and dairy, like me. If he wants to be a vegan someday, he is welcome to do so. For now, he eats from food originating from animal sources and non-animal sources.

But the place we draw the line is with pesticides, hormones, etc. He mostly eats organic. So he eats animal products but we are more on the organic side of things. Hubbie draws the line with the chemicals in the foods. LOL.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times
My mother is a life-long vegetarian and she was adamant that we decide whether or not to eat meat ourselves, which I do.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times
In the olden days, the children ate what the parents purchased and cooked. Everyone sat down to the meals, lunches were the same for everyone as were breakfasts. This was the 60's and 70's. I suppose if I would have wanted to eat something else, I would have gotten the standard "when you have your house and you are supporting yourself............".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting