Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM

606 posts, read 949,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
In the olden days, the children ate what the parents purchased and cooked. Everyone sat down to the meals, lunches were the same for everyone as were breakfasts. This was the 60's and 70's. I suppose if I would have wanted to eat something else, I would have gotten the standard "when you have your house and you are supporting yourself............".
I know quite a few vegetarian parents, and I don't know anyone who cooks separate meals for the kids because the kids want meat. (I know a few who do it because their kids are picky, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms!)

But I have known vegetarian parents who would let their kids order meat if they were at a restaurant, and/or who wouldn't insist on their kids eating vegetarian for school lunches or at friends' houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,401,390 times
DH and his siblings were all raised vegetarian. This was due to their religion (Seventh Day Adventist) which does not allow meat. When the children grew up and left home, they all began to sample meat (plus drink caffeinated beverages and alcohol, which are also taboo). DH worked as assistant manager at McDonalds right out of high school, and could he put away the Big Macs and Quarter Pounders! His parents were not judgmental about this, although they were not thrilled. Then he married me, and was introduced to ham, roast beef, chicken, turkey, pork chops, etc. - and loves it.

I am not vegetarian, and our two daughters were not exposed to a vegetarian diet at home, but our oldest daughter became one at age 13. I thought it was just a fad (and I have to admit I didn't have much patience with her self righteous attitude), but 15 years later she had still adhered to it. It had nothing to do with ethics, she just feels it is healthier. She is now pregnant, and will be raising her son vegetarian, although she will allow him to make his own food decisions when he is older. Her DH (the baby's father) eats meat (fast food burgers, cold cuts, and orders it eating out), but she does not fix it for him at home.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 09-21-2013 at 03:31 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,401,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
I know quite a few vegetarian parents, and I don't know anyone who cooks separate meals for the kids because the kids want meat. (I know a few who do it because their kids are picky, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms!)

But I have known vegetarian parents who would let their kids order meat if they were at a restaurant, and/or who wouldn't insist on their kids eating vegetarian for school lunches or at friends' houses.

I used to feel bad for my young nephew when we ate out as a family group. His parents were strict vegetarians and wouldn't let him choose anything with meat in it, although he'd eaten some previously on occasion. This was many years ago, when vegetarian items were pretty limited at restaurants. We (those of us who were carnivores) would order hamburgers, chili, steak sandwiches, etc. and he'd be stuck with a grilled cheese sandwich. Anything else he'd want to order, he'd be told, "No, ******, that has meat in it."

Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,296,601 times
As long as the child is healthy I say who cares what other people think. As long as you love your child and make decisions you feel is best for him/her then so be it. There is no right or wrong way to raise a child in that instance.

My SIL is vegetarian but my family is not. Her son is not a vegetarian. She pushes veggies on him which is good for him anyway. He doesn't eat a whole lot of meat but he has his weaknesses - like bacon and sausage!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,852,173 times
I think committed, health conscientious parents will raise healthy children regardless of whether or not meat is part of it.

That being said, I don't think vegetarians are always healthier eaters. My daughter went to pre-school with a girl who was raised vegan and ended up with malnutrition. OTOH, I don't think vegan malnutrition is any different than the malnutrition that occurs from parents who feed the kids nothing but McDonalds chicken nuggets.

My sister was vegan, and is now a pescitarian, it is hard work and a commitment, but so is having children. So as long as parents are well educated about whatever diet they choose I think they have the right to expect their kids to eat what is served.

When they get older they can choose what they like.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM

5,990 posts, read 6,855,572 times
Kid I know has been raised as vegan since birth, but he was also given a multivitamin with iron daily, taken with citrus for improved absorption. Does not have any anemia or nutritional deficiency.

I don't think it's controlling to raise kids on a healthy, balanced vegan diet, as long as they are also given a multivitamin with iron and are not anemic. It's an ethical choice, not to kill and eat animals, and we transmit our ethical values to our children.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,216,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Life stopped people from asking this. They were/are both at the top of their class, they're both athletes, and my son is 6/4".

I guess people will always have something to say. I just live and let live.
My son is 24 and has been vegan since starting college, though we ate a little meat when he was growing up (I don't anymore, but am not vegan). When some of my meat-eating friends ask if I'm not worried abouy his diet, I tell them he's done a lot of research about vegan diets in nutrition journals, he knows how to get enough protein and nutrients like B12, and that partly because of his diet he's become an excellent cook. And, I'd rather have him eat like that than live on pizza and fast food like so many young adults do.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,216,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Kid I know has been raised as vegan since birth, but he was also given a multivitamin with iron daily, taken with citrus for improved absorption. Does not have any anemia or nutritional deficiency.

I don't think it's controlling to raise kids on a healthy, balanced vegan diet, as long as they are also given a multivitamin with iron and are not anemic. It's an ethical choice, not to kill and eat animals, and we transmit our ethical values to our children.
You can get plenty of iron from dark green vegetables, if you don't want to supplement. It's B12 that vegans have to supplement, because it's not found in any plant, just the cyanobacterium Spirulina. That's what my son takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting