Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,728,526 times

Advertisements

What Do You Wish Was Taught In School For Kids?

What do you find kids that grow up into adulthood of today are lacking?

Here are some things I thought of

Finance (includes how to manage credit cards, checkbooks, saving)

Swimming

Basic Auto Repair (like changing a tire, oil change)

Manners

Self Esteem Self Value (if a kid fails this class do you give them a F? or will you make it worse?)

Etiquette

Resume preparation

Proper way to clean and what do you wash first.

Appropriate attire for different situations.

Organization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 AM

50 posts, read 191,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Manners

Etiquette

Business etiquette should be taught in school, e.g., replying to emails, returning phone calls, being polite to customers, etc. Let's put an end to the cycle of rude business tactics.

Schools should also teach students when it's acceptable to use iPods, Gameboys, cell phones, etc., and when it's unacceptable to use those electronic gadgets. Schools have rules banning electronic gadgets, but students need to understand other settings where electronic gadgets are banned.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,557,408 times
Sunny, don't you think most of those should be taught at home. I know they aren't but boy, we learned most of those at home. I do know that a lot of schools do have business classes that do teach resume prep, etc. but manners and etiquette should be learned at home. Swimming-they still have that in the PE classes here. We have auto shop classes available to those interested but my dad taught me most of that--or, I have the phone number for AAA in my wallet .

Self esteem CANNOT be taught no matter what some parents think. Self esteem is something you learn when you do something well, plain and simple. If everyone gets an award for something it becomes meaningless. If kids work hard to become the best, they should be rewarded.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,547,223 times
i wish they could be taight at home, but most parents dont know how to do many of those things themselves!
i love SunnyKayak's list and i would add to that:
basic sewing--as in buttons and hems and basic cooking. i wish they would teach these to boys and girls.
i know that schools offer electives, but that means not everyone takes the classes--and i think everyone needs to. i went to a school that did not have these classes at all.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,158,079 times
Sounds like home economics and life skills classes that we took in high school and jr. high. We also had a P.E. class starting in Jr. High where you were required to shower afterwards and the coaches harped/taught on personal hygene.
Nowdays (at least here) all you see is a bunch of smelly kids who instead of showering after sweating like crazy in P.E. just slather on deoderant (if they have it) and go about their day, and this is in H.S..

I took home economics (required in Jr. High) and learned to sew and cook. At the time I thought it was pretty lame except we got to eat snickerdoodles and rolls but I'm glad now that I did it! I use the sewing I learned at least once a month to repair my son and wifes clothes.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i wish they could be taight at home, but most parents dont know how to do many of those things themselves!
i love SunnyKayak's list and i would add to that:
basic sewing--as in buttons and hems and basic cooking. i wish they would teach these to boys and girls.
i know that schools offer electives, but that means not everyone takes the classes--and i think everyone needs to. i went to a school that did not have these classes at all.
Our middle schools still require home ec-the politically correct name is Family and Consumer Science now though. They have cooking, laundry, sewing units. Next year they have more home management units, budgeting, using/balancing checkbooks, etc.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:25 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,140,902 times
I wish they would go back to really teaching civics. I am apalled at the number of people who no longer seem to know the most basic things about our country, our government, or their rights and responsibilities as US citizens.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wish they would go back to really teaching civics. I am apalled at the number of people who no longer seem to know the most basic things about our country, our government, or their rights and responsibilities as US citizens.
Again, they do teach civics--how well to the ones that don't know the basics pay attention??

Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,547,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, they do teach civics--how well to the ones that don't know the basics pay attention??
i dont know if by civics you mean social studies/history --that is what they taught me

Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,399,751 times
Part of me thinks, "Yes! What a great idea!"

But another very large part of me knows that schools already do a terrible job teaching what's in the current curriculum. Teaching more of this stuff for the purposes of social engineering will just screw the pooch even further.

That being said, I'll go down your list:

Finance (includes how to manage credit cards, checkbooks, saving) -- I'd TOTALLY agree with this, especially as part of the high school economics curriculum. It's amazing how few kids have a clue about money.

Swimming -- Not the school's job. That's the parents.

Basic Auto Repair -- Ditto the parents.

Manners -- Ditto the parents.

Self Esteem Self Value -- I have to say that Self-Esteem, in my opinion, is probably the most worthless and dangerous ideas ever foisted on us by the Self-Help industry. Basically, what it supposes is that feeling good about oneself is the highest good. But you don't deserve self-esteem for breathing. You deserve self-esteem for accomplishing things.

Etiquette -- Again, the parents. It's a shame so many have failed in this arena.

Resume preparation -- I think Survival of the Fittest works here. If you don't have enough basic motivation to walk into the library and look up a How To book on this subject, then you don't deserve a decent job in the first place.

Proper way to clean and what do you wash first -- Parents again

Appropriate attire for different situations -- Parents again

Organization -- Should be taught from Day One of First grade.

Really, for most of these, you could probably teach it all in a Life Skills class, maybe as an after-school program. But if the parents are halfway attentive, then they wouldn't be necessary and probably a waste of valuable class time for most.

To me, the absolute necessary class is effective communication through writing and public speaking. There's no question about it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting