Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times

Advertisements

What do you think should be included in core education? I mean elementary through high school.

I know I sometimes think "I can't believe I wasn't taught that!" and try to make sure my kids are taught it, but by me.

In particular, I cannot believe that economics and finances are not part of a basic education!! A few years ago my H and I went through hell financially, and when all was over I/we had a brand new financial education!! And I felt stupid for not getting it until I was 30! Buuuut, my kids will benefit. They also learned so much, and still are. Their eyes don't glaze over when I talk to them about interest payments, and they are very careful about their $$ and making it grow. But if we hadn't had this terrible thing happen to us financially, they wouldn't know anymore than they did in first grade about economics.

There are a few other topics that I feel I MUST address, that I don't think the school will go over enough. And sometimes when I think of a topic, I wonder if there's another one that I'm overlooking!

(I put this in Parenting as opposed to Education because I'm wanting opinions of parents, what they want for their kids)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Foreign language. I would never send my kids to a school that is not fully bilingual. What they pass off as foreign language in most elementary schools now is a joke! By the time kids graduate from high school, they should be bilingual with the opportunity for study in at LEAST a 3rd language if they choose.

Financial education at my high school was taught by a teacher who would regularly tell students about the financial dilemmas he was in. Not exactly someone I would want to learn from. :P Luckily it was an optional class paired with driver's ed- both of which I learned from my parents at a young age. Honestly, I think that's a parent's job but sadly so many parents are lacking in that area as well! Economics, however, is a graduation requirement, along with government/civics, at most high schools around the country.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Absolutely financial education. How to THINK about mathematical concepts, not rote memorization. The impact of historical events, and the reason those events are important, as opposed to a list of names and dates. Scientific experimentation should be encouraged... not to do just what's on the lab sheet or in the science book, but to take it further... some kids will want to change different parts of the experiment, use different materials, etc. Creative art, as well as a study of great artists, instead of cut and paste activities where all of the "art" produced looks similar. Tons of hands-on activities and weekly or monthly field trips pertaining to interest and what's being studied. Interest-driven science and social studies... instead of focusing on Ancient Rome for the first quarter of the 6th grade, let the kids continue to immerse themselves in it until they're ready to move on, and then do something else... and by immersion, I mean the food, the language, literature, clothing styles (toga parties? LOL), Pompeii, volcanoes, Italy (maybe planning for a "field trip" to Italy for those extremely interested?), Roman mythology, etc, etc. No standardized testing.

Learning should be an exciting and pleasurable adventure!

(We homeschool, by the way... I know most of this stuff is impossible for schools to implement. That would be my ideal for ALL kids, in ALL schools though!)

Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 AM

261 posts, read 954,653 times
I agree with the foreign language. My son is learning Spanish in Kindergarten! He learned from me, and watching Handy Mandy and Sesame Street how to count to 10 in Spanish. I took French in school so I couldn't help much more, but now he knows the days of the week, months of the year and I downloaded a little bit of info on how to count to 100 in Spanish. It's great!

But, I also think that Financial Education is important, learned from the parents! I had always enjoyed numbers and was good in math, so when the chance came in 11th/12th grade to take Accounting, I did. I learned how to balance my check book (teacher was a former financial advisor for some big company). Worked out nice! I went on to study accounting in College all becuase of this teacher that made the financial world seem intersting instead of depressing!

My son is already learning about saving. Most kids want to spend their money, he's saving for a vacation with his grandparents in the summer time. He probably won't spend his money, but it's a good lesson to learn.

We save all of the cash from the soda cans through the year, and put it into his piggy bank, then at Christmas time, we take some of that money and he gets to buy presents (if he wants) for his 4 grandparents, me and DH and some of his cousins or friends from school. The remainder goes into his savings account at the bank. He has saved since he was 2, almost $1000.00!

Great start to his college savings!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,102 times
I agree with the posts above addressing the need of foreign language instruction in elementary schools. It baffles me to think we don't teach a foreign language until the window for learning one all but closes. That's like trying to vote after the polls close. The one good thing I can say about education in Louisiana is that my sisters (10 & 13 years younger than me) have been taught in both English and French since kindergarten. They are both fully bilingual.

Another thing I think schools should teach is how to think. No Child Left Behind has made teachers focus on teaching test-taking, not teaching thought. Kids should be taught how to analyze, draw conclusions, and create a logical argument.

Obviously, we as parents are our children's #1 educators. If we feel the schools are not adequately addressing a subject, I think its up to us to fill in the gaps.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
here are my thoughts on the subject:

1) Writing, writing, and more writing. Show me a person who can write clearly, and I'll show you a person who can think clearly. That doesn't necessarily mean that we see eye to eye, but it does require logic and organization to express oneself. This is something that is only learned through practice.

At the same time, Writing is the most important skill one can have in life, and it can positively affect so many different areas of one's life. The ability to make a sale, the ability to contest a tax assessment, and the ability to argue a complicated point all rely on this ability.

2) Math. At the very least. Every student should be able to perform algebra. My degree is in English, but I use algebraic principles every day in a thousand little ways.

3) Foreign languages. Spanish at the very least. I will say this--there's a lot of pious indignation on this subject. However, it is far more difficult to master a foreign language in this country that it is in Europe. Why? Because if you travel 150 in one direction in Europe, they're all speaking French. In another direction? German. In another direction? Dutch, Danish, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Polish, and Czech. Drive 500 miles in the United States, and the accents hardly change. That makes us prisoners of geography in this country. So if we are to really teach foreign languages, then we need to find ways to simultaneously expose children to other languages in their everyday lives. Otherwise, it becomes an empty, time-consuming, and useless classroom exercise.

4) History/Civics. People need to understand the historical movements that define how we work and live everyday. At the same time, every person needs to have society's expectations inculcated into them early on.

5) Science. Obviously. We will not be a innovative society without a good foundation in this area.

6) Arts/Music.

7) Economics/Life skills. Ever notice that a college degree is becoming a requirement for even the most menial positions? That's because high school graduates apparently have no idea how to function in the workplace, how to be self-motivated, and how to perform work in a conscientious fashion. What's more, most kids don't have a clue about financial basics, and wind up making big mistakes early on in their lives.

At the same time, I think we really need to provide a relevant course of education for those students who do not wish to attend college. There are many, many ways to earn a good living without a college degree, from technicians to restaurant management, to construction. A 16-year-old should have access to these kinds of programs, and should be able to undertake them without stigma.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I think better economics is a great idea. I remember learning to use a check book and write checks in about 5th grade, but that's it.

My parents aren't college educated and never taught me a thing about finances. I put myself through college and then promptly had to file bankruptcy. I was so clueless - didn't even understand what wage would support the lifestyle I wanted. Also no clue as to how the business world worked (things like office politics, etc.) I eventually caught on, but it slowed my career not having that background.

Another thing that should be taught, probably in high school, is investment. Since retirement has been dumped on our laps to take control of (401K, IRA, etc.) this would be nice to have a better understanding of investing. I still struggle with it and wonder how I'll ever afford to retire.

I plan on teaching my kids all of this at the appropriate age. I don't want them to be tossed into corporate America without a clue, as I was.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Finance and economics for sure...

I would like to see a little more emphasis on the voting process here in the states...You know like the electoral college and different political views...taught nonbias of course...

Hmmm I don't know if that is even possible.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
finances and believe it or not ; respect for each other. And also geography of the world.

d

Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Here's a list for starters:

1: Financial education/Life skills
2: Reading/Writing/SPELLING!!!! (amazing how many people can't spell correctly)
3: History (not just US but world history)
4: Philosophy (no, not religion)
5: Foreign Languages
6: Health/Nutrition/Sex Education
5: Science/Mathematics
6: Art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting