Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,464,984 times

Advertisements

For our children we wanted names that would not be too common (we did not want them to have 3 more children in their class sharing the same name) but at the same time we wanted names with an history and a special meaning.

They also had to be names easily pronounced in three languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM

797 posts, read 3,003,349 times
When I was about 13 I watched a life time movie with Heather Locklear and her characters name was Tori. At the time this was a very unique name and I just loved it, so I vowed to name my first daughter Victoria and call her Tori. Fast forward 5 years and my mom decides to steal my name and give it to my new baby sister! It has since become a much more popular name although I still rarely meet anyone named Tori. I am glad my mom stole the name now because after discovering we are infertile and likely will never have any biological children of our own I am very happy my baby sister has the name.

I have a cousin named Misty Winter, she was born on the first day of winter. I don't think her parents did much research on the name, they just went with the weather that day.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,086,750 times
for my oldest, I wanted to name her McKenzi, my friends/family thought I was nuts, my best friend said "Everyone will call her Spuds!!" (remember the dog, Spuds McKenzie? ) my folks said "Thats not a first name, thats a last name! well, now look at all of them out there! Shes a teen now, loves her name, but its sure not original anymore! Her middle name is the same as mine, my moms, and a total of 6generations back!
my son, we went w/traditional, it was the only name my husband and I could agree on! lol then his middle name is the same as his Dads.
And our littlest, her Dad picked out her name 2yrs before she was concieved! And there was no swaying him. Annika. At first, i did NOT like it! All I could think of was Adam Sandler singing the Hannika song! lol We get a lot of people mis-pronouncing it, but we really really love it now.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,886,261 times
Well, I've ALWAYS hated my name. I was named after my grandmother and it's a very old name and not common at all. I got picked on A LOT! So when it came to naming our son, I was determined he'd have a normal name. My husband was working in Austin, TX when we were dating so I knew I wanted to call him Austin but it took me forever to find something to go with it. We went with Matthew Austin and love it. I wish I'd put Austin first since that's what he goes by but other than that, he sure doesn't have to worry about being odd. There are TONS of Austin's!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 AM

909 posts, read 3,379,785 times
We had a long list that we shortened to the top 3-4 by the time our dds were born. We wanted names that were recognizable, but not commonly used. Dh picked the older dd's name, and at the time we had no idea she was such a popular cartoon character. It really seemed to fit her so we went with it. The only annoyance is that people continually ask us if we named her after Dora the Explorer. Only one friend, a minister, said, "congratulations on her name! Which as you might know, is Greek for 'gift.'" Actually we did know that, it was one of the reasons we went for it. Although it's a very commonly known name (little old fashioned) we found to our surprise that it's never even made the top 1000 in the last couple hundred years.

Our second daughter, her name was on a list for the older one, but got dropped early on. We agonized over it for a long time, because we knew we'd get asked if we were LOTR fans, but I really loved the name, and the memory of the elf really stuck in my head. There was another character who I liked even better but her name was too unusual and I thought it might be rough growing up with a name like Eowyn, esp. for an Asian. At least we knew that the name we went with was an actual name with roots, not something Tolkien made up We changed the spelling from Arwen to Arwyn so it wouldn't rhyme with our last name.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 AM

895 posts, read 4,264,337 times
Our first daughter's name was a family name that we changed. We had to use a J and couldn't find we liked so we decided on Jolie (pronounced Jo-lee). My husband's family started mispronouncing her name so we hyphenated her first and middle to be Jolie Ana. My second daughter is a family name (Catherine) and I don't like it because there's a trillion Catherine's out there. There's always at least one other Katie or Catie in her class or school. Her middle name is after Syndey Bristow from Alias. My third daughter is named after Ralph Waldo Emerson and I thought that was different but I've come across a few Emerson's in the last couple years. Our last daughter was named by our kids. We liked the name Liberty (Libby) and my kids liked Belle from Beauty and the Beast so we compromised and named her Livvi Belle. No one has that name! The more kids I have, the more difficult it gets to name them!!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,702,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
for my oldest, I wanted to name her McKenzi,
My friend named her daughter McKenzi, her last name is McCurdy... Go figure

Old 06-09-2008, 10:11 AM

430 posts, read 1,179,978 times
Yes my name is KIMBERLY and I had three other Kim's that I was frirnds with in High School so we had to go by Kim T, Kim W, Kim G. I like the name as I start out being Kimmy, than Kim only a few Aunts called me Kimberly which I like. I had thought about why not name one of my daughters after me KIMBERLY, men do that all the time. I just couldn't talk myself into it. Hasanyone ever done this? With our one adopted daughter who is African I really wanted a name that reflected her race. Well I decided on Kaiya and her middle name which just came to me one day in a news paper article is Amachi. It stands for no one but God will know what will be brought to us from this child.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,570,027 times
i had a girl's name selected as well as a boy's--i didnt want to know the baby's sex.
so i had picked out a name that is similar to my own--but not because it was--just because i liked the name.
well everyone was like "why--you want to name her after you?" that went out the window and i chose a completely different name....then i had a son, so i didnt need to worry about it.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,407,764 times
Ok, my 2 pet peeves about kids' names: naming a girl a boy's name (Wallace, Cameron, Corbin... I actually know girls who've been named that!!!) and using a last name as a first same to sound more 'classy' : Thompson, Sullivan and Jerrin. I love old fashioned names: Olivia, Charles, William, Susanna, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting