Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Side note not directed to you:
I do hate when parents say they don't want to "medicate their children" because that is such a selfish thing to do to your kid. Do you really think kids LIKE being out of control? No, I would say they don't. I Know how scared I used to get when I would lose my cool. I believe we are born one way but we achieve to be our best and some of us need help to even us out.
I know our son usually does not and will not go a day without his meds even if we tell him he can. On occasion he will go without but only on weekends where he's only with us.
He doesn't like how hard it is to control himself without them and he is totally unable to concentrate as well. We've always given him the choice during the summer and weekends and he's pretty much chosen the meds. We look at it the same way as if he had high blood pressure or was diabetic or in pain, you'd treat those right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
This thread is so interesting, so many theories to share. I think autism might be a genetic trait/mutation the human body can NOW handle through adaptation. Our bodies are stronger due to vitamins and nutrition and can endure more disorders. In the past a fetus with this genetic trait might have spontaneously aborted.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
This thread is so interesting, so many theories to share. I think autism might be a genetic trait/mutation the human body can NOW handle through adaptation. Our bodies are stronger due to vitamins and nutrition and can endure more disorders. In the past a fetus with this genetic trait might have spontaneously aborted.

Yes, this thread is very interesting.

I also think autism has a major genetic factor. I also have my own theory. I think that because the world has become much "smaller" due to easy travel people have moved to locations of their chosing more than ever before. Meeting people that you are attracted to is vastly different today than 40-50 years ago. People end up "together" now that 50 years ago would have never met.

I know this sounds confusing...but think of Silicon Valley in N. California....all those technical minds all coming together to work on computers. These people meet and marry and produce off spring. I am VERY curious as to the incidence of asperger's syndrome in this population. My theory is based on anectdotal information. I understand there is real research at UCLA going on right now that is using Silicon Valley as a basis for some genetic studies re: Aspergers. Can't wait to see the first numbers.

Re: the OP's question about a 6 year old lining things up. Yes, that's a classic sign along with the hand flapping...however, 2 boys in my family (cousins) had both of these traits yet pretty much grew out of these behaviors.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,622 times
He told me yesterday that he's embarrassed about the hand flapping, and that it's something he just can't help.

Poor kid...

~D

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
He told me yesterday that he's embarrassed about the hand flapping, and that it's something he just can't help.

Poor kid...

~D
I know it's hard but keep trying to explain to him that these are the things that make him HIM! It's no different than people who have facial ticks,stutter or bite their nails.
We're painfully aware of how kids don't want to do anything that makes them stand out, with that said our son is at the point where he says "I don't care if people don't like me, I am who I am and I'm not going to change that no matter what those dorks think about me".
The hardest thing for these kids to realize is that THEY focus on these things more than the general public does and for the most part our son noticed if he ignored his "quirks" most others did as well (except for the bullies who'd find something anyway).
Keep being positive, which is hard to do when fighting back your own tears of exasperation, it really helps them long term!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I know our son usually does not and will not go a day without his meds even if we tell him he can. On occasion he will go without but only on weekends where he's only with us.
He doesn't like how hard it is to control himself without them and he is totally unable to concentrate as well. We've always given him the choice during the summer and weekends and he's pretty much chosen the meds. We look at it the same way as if he had high blood pressure or was diabetic or in pain, you'd treat those right?
I know a young man who before his meds was a c+ student. Now he is A+, Class President, and is on his way to a Full Scholarship at the U of his choice.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
I know a young man who before his meds was a c+ student. Now he is A+, Class President, and is on his way to a Full Scholarship at the U of his choice.

Good example. I know children who when on their meds are nice people, can focus, work hard and listen well. When off their meds it's like they are another person. I took them to the zoo and they were pounding on the animals cages and being almost crazed. It was like night and day. They once in awhile will go without meds but they end up staying up all night and feeling crummy the next day.
I also see kids diagnosed as ADHD when they are not. But in most cases medication can help bring back the focus and have a calming effect.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:07 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
The OP mentioned her kid wanting the bath water cool. Has anyone heard of sensory integration? It's a method of dealing with kids whose senses don't perceive things the way others do. IE wear a coat in the summer.

I found this when I was researching my daughter's ADHD years ago.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The OP mentioned her kid wanting the bath water cool. Has anyone heard of sensory integration? It's a method of dealing with kids whose senses don't perceive things the way others do. IE wear a coat in the summer.

I found this when I was researching my daughter's ADHD years ago.
Not to hijack the thread but along the sensory line, our son has quite a few sensory quirks which we thought were just that "quirks" that were related to adhd until 2 weeks ago. We sent him to a neuro doc and found out he is high functioning autistic/aspergers. This opens up a whole new realm of information and understanding of why he does what he does.
Turns out that quite a few kids with ADHD also are Aspergers (very common) and generally go undiagnosed IMO because people just stop at the ADHD thing and don't look further.
At this point I'd suggest parents of ADHD kids look at the symptomology of Aspergers and if there's any question get them tested. It really answered a bunch of questions for us!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,622 times
Thanks for the input, jimj!

I actually considered Asperger's, and I do have an older son who is on the autistic spectrum. Because my younger boy lacks the social issues that typify Asperger's, I really didn't consider it any further. Can you/would you share what you have seen in your boy? The only real social issue he has is a huge one, though, and that's that he will not under any circumstances be more than a few feet from me, even at home! Getting him to go to class (just finished K) was a real chore. He still cried into the last week of school. He will not sleep alone, etc, although I have had a HUGE breakthrough with his sleeping in that blooming chair! He will now, with some prodding, sleep in his own bed, as long as I stay with him until he falls asleep. My older boy did this as well.

Also in re: hand flapping... I asked him about it again a couple days ago. He says it's fun to him, and that it also means he's having fun when he does it.

Everyone has been great with all of your replies, opinions, hypotheses, and experiences. Thanks again!

~D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting