Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 11:03 PM

23,005 posts, read 19,654,835 times

Advertisements

a parent can try and tell their kids not to have children of their own, however:

as adults they will do what they want anyway.
i don't know any adults who "do what their parents tell them to" when it comes to major life decisions.
they are far more likely to be influenced by or do what their husband or wife or partner tells them to.

besides, developmentally a lot of people (perhaps most people) rebel against or choose to go AGAINST what their parents tell them to.

i just don't think parents have that kind of influence over whether their own kids have children of their own when they reach that stage of adulthood

Old 10-04-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Have you read 'The Bell Curve'?

I'm not here to claim I am smarter than the millions we are letting flood into our nation - I started this thread to have a discussion on Americans and why they're consciously havIng less (or no) children these days, and why I think that's a recipe for failure.
bold above
people have fewer children these days because they don't cave to pressure from society and family.
they choose a quality of life that allows them more money, more freedom, more disposable income, more travel, and a more affluent lifestyle.
they choose to pursue and develop their own interests, such as education, career, and other goals for themself.

because they have a choice. there is not a stigma any longer for choosing to NOT have children.

i think it's a good thing.
when people CHOOSE to do something, instead of being forced into it, they usually feel better about it, and do better at it. if someone doesn't want kids, by all means they should not have them.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:18 PM

i also think humanity in general is growing in consciousness, and that current and future generations will take steps towards cleaning up the planet, preserving the planet. A natural outcome of that will be to voluntarily choose to have fewer children, or no children. It is common sense. It will happen naturally and people will see the many good reasons for having fewer children or no children. It will be a no-brainer. it will be obvious.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:50 AM

1,158 posts, read 976,673 times
Family size is reducing because we're not an agrarian society anymore. 100 years ago my grandpa grew up in North Dakota. He was the oldest of 11 children including 2 sets of twins his Mom had back to back. They grew up in the depression in grinding poverty. They often went to bed hungry and at times ]were basically starving. Imagine not having enough food to feed your 11 kids and what a terrible feeling that would be as a parent?

People had lots of kids to work their farms and because there was no birth control 100 years ago. My Grandpa once said the ability to control our fertility is what separates us from animals. That stuck with me. Just because you can have 11 kids does not mean you should.

My Grandparents had 4 kids. My parents had 3 and I have 1. I believe there is something to be said for quality of life. Most people want their children to have more than they had growing up and there is nothing wrong with that. You have a moral obligation to provide for your children. I have zero interest in breeding like a rabbit to keep America white...lol

I just don't get this fear of immigrants? All of our ancestors were immigrants. Do some genealogy. Most are hard working, start business, know more about America's history than native born Americans and are very thankful to be in this country.

There are lots of Americans who are lazy, uneducated have no motivation and do anthing with their lives. Typically those people are opposed to immigration. They blame others for their lack of achievement in life and scapegoat other races/religions. (BTW Hitler did the same thing...)

Last edited by Angie682; 10-05-2021 at 02:04 AM..

Old 10-05-2021, 02:53 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,301,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Don't play dumb
Kavalier said... "Lack of reproduction by our intelligent members of society, then we import people that are less intelligent."

You then said... "I am an immigrant and certainly not LESS INTELLIGENT."

Not less intelligent than whom? Our "intelligent members of society"? The average American? Every single American?

Old 10-05-2021, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
People have fewer children these days because they don't cave to pressure from society and family. They choose a quality of life that allows them more money, more freedom, more disposable income, more travel, and a more affluent lifestyle. They choose to pursue and develop their own interests, such as education, career, and other goals for themselves.
Keep in mind that the modern world isn't exactly "natural". People are responding to the social, economic, and occupational circumstances they find themselves in. And to a large extent people are just "keeping up with the Joneses" in this never-ending capitalist competition.

Remove money from the equation and the whole world changes. Add to that greater relationship stability(IE lower divorce-rates) and it changes even more.

Quote:
I also think humanity in general is growing in consciousness, and that current and future generations will take steps towards cleaning up the planet, preserving the planet. A natural outcome of that will be to voluntarily choose to have fewer children, or no children. It is common sense. It will happen naturally and people will see the many good reasons for having fewer children or no children. It will be a no-brainer. it will be obvious.
People are having fewer children for purely selfish reasons. It has nothing to do with consciousness or a concern for the planet. Governments on the other hand must create policies that are broader and more future-oriented that take into account natural resources, economy, geopolitics, and sustainability.

China has the one-child policy, but the method of enforcement is economic. Basically, if you go over your limit you get fined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-ch...Administration

Economic incentives and disincentives are a pretty effective way of controlling the population.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-05-2021 at 04:15 AM..

Old 10-05-2021, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I have zero interest in breeding like a rabbit to keep America white...
You shouldn't have to.

Quote:
I just don't get this fear of immigrants? All of our ancestors were immigrants. Do some genealogy. Most are hard working, start business, know more about America's history than native born Americans and are very thankful to be in this country.
This is a mythologized version of history. Our ancestors came here to work as low-skilled laborers and to drive down wages. They weren't especially hard-working, nor were they more likely to start businesses. Ironically, the qualifications to come here legally are higher today than they were in the past.

Regardless, there is a vast difference between having an open-border with Japan, China, Israel, Peru, Germany, The Congo, Venezuela, England, Somalia, or Afghanistan.

All the studies seem to indicate that East Asians are highly intelligent and generally more passive. If we had an open-border with Japan or China, our average IQ would go up and crime-rates would drop.

Quote:
There are lots of Americans who are lazy, uneducated have no motivation and do anthing with their lives. Typically those people are opposed to immigration. They blame others for their lack of achievement in life and scapegoat other races/religions. (BTW Hitler did the same thing...)
1) The #1 reason people become opposed to immigration is because they hate paying taxes.

2) You don't know anything about Hitler.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:38 AM

10,529 posts, read 7,215,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
You both sound rather extreme.

Global warming, the general state of society, and overpopulation argue in your cousin’s favor. And why did he have kids anyway?

The urge to reproduce, rearing good people who can make a difference, and free choice argue in yours.

Do his kids take his opinion on this seriously? My parents told me a lot things that I used my own brain to determine if I would embrace those ideas or not.

His opinion is certainly not demonic and it’s a matter of opinion if it’s sad.

Truthfully, we are facing global population decline sometime around mid century. Depending on which demographer you read, China's population will fall by half sometime between 2050 and 2080.

Oh, were that it was as simple as saying, "Sweet! Less population pressure." But it will also exert a staggering economic toll, most of all on the people who can least afford it.

But let's get onto the person in question. A parent certainly has an absolute right to express his value system. But it's another thing entirely to judge his children for actually having children of their own--especially given that he had four of his own. Makes him kind of a hypocrite if you ask me.

So now, if one of his children decides to have kids, they'll face his censure. Screw him is what I think. I'd be saying, "Stay the hell out of our personal decisions, Dad."

Old 10-05-2021, 09:00 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,166,636 times
Quote:
bold above
people have fewer children these days because they don't cave to pressure from society and family.
they choose a quality of life that allows them more money, more freedom, more disposable income, more travel, and a more affluent lifestyle.
they choose to pursue and develop their own interests, such as education, career, and other goals for themself.

because they have a choice. there is not a stigma any longer for choosing to NOT have children.

i think it's a good thing.
when people CHOOSE to do something, instead of being forced into it, they usually feel better about it, and do better at it. if someone doesn't want kids, by all means they should not have them.
I'm not inherently against the idea of AMericans having less children, per se.

It's when the elites in this nation who control everything talk out of both sides of their mouths that drives me crazy.

They will say: "there are too many people on the planet and we are causing 'global warming' and therefore, need to have less children" or "it's good that Americans are having less children". And then, in their next statement will claim "America must allow a never-ending chain of immigration into our nation because it's the only way this economy can be sustained", and the like.

It's this double-talk from these people that makes my blood boil. If we need more people to take care of those who are getting old, then why not implement a system that makes it desirable and advantageous for young Americans to have children and have big families?

Redshadowz has pretty much pointed out that it's not about one thing or another. It is all about money - and the elites in charge of this nation don't care about the nation, they care about lower wages and a foolish population.

Governor Abbott in Texas could have closed his border the day he went into office, but to this day he couldn't care less about it. Bipartisan, elitist agreement that this never-ending invasion is desirable. Hogwash.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,825,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm not inherently against the idea of AMericans having less children, per se.

It's when the elites in this nation who control everything talk out of both sides of their mouths that drives me crazy.

They will say: "there are too many people on the planet and we are causing 'global warming' and therefore, need to have less children" or "it's good that Americans are having less children". And then, in their next statement will claim "America must allow a never-ending chain of immigration into our nation because it's the only way this economy can be sustained", and the like.

It's this double-talk from these people that makes my blood boil. If we need more people to take care of those who are getting old, then why not implement a system that makes it desirable and advantageous for young Americans to have children and have big families?

Redshadowz has pretty much pointed out that it's not about one thing or another. It is all about money - and the elites in charge of this nation don't care about the nation, they care about lower wages and a foolish population.

Governor Abbott in Texas could have closed his border the day he went into office, but to this day he couldn't care less about it. Bipartisan, elitist agreement that this never-ending invasion is desirable. Hogwash.
Why not implement a system that makes jobs taking care of those who are getting old more desirable? They had to implement a new rule during the Obama period because live-in home care providers were making less than minimum wage. The pay is still awful. It is just not a desirable job. Having more kids isn’t going to change the underlying problem, which is a skill mismatch. Even in highly skilled jobs like medicine, you still have immigrants filling a lot of the primary care positions in more rural areas. The income for people who have gone to American medical schools is not good enough to convince people to take those positions.

That said, if you have Indian immigrants taking those positions, they are likely the best India (or their respective country) has to offer. Most will likely stay and raise families here. I don’t think that is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting