Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,237,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I love the colors she chose, but don't like the splattered paint idea.

I had faux painting on the walls in our computer room, what a nightmare to repaint as I had to spackle just about the whole room to get rid of the faux painting. I think you would be better to do seperate colored walls, one wall baby blue, then a lime green, etc or paint the top half one color with the darker color for the lower, you can then choose a 3rd color for the accent wall. You can also do stripes.

I love JC Penney. I wouldn't just look at the teen bedding but would look at all of it as you may get lucky and find those colors for regular bedding. Last time I looked they did have a blue with green, you can then do purple pillows. I also like the canopy and found one at Walmart fairly cheap.

Check out Target for the curtains. They have the cutest baby blue velvet grommet curtains. They would look great against a lime green wall.

I love the dots page at PB and sent my daughter the link since we're moving in a few weeks as well. Last time I spoke to her she was looking to do a beachy themed room. Not sure if she still wants that.

btw, there is a decorating forum on gardenweb on that home site's side. The gals there are great with PSP and will make a mock up of the room if you have a photo of one. They then add the bedding & effects.
My daughter is here with me right now reading through the comments about her room lol..... she really likes your idea of doing the top portion of a wall one color and the bottom portion another color... we then added the idea of using a panel/border along the middle of the wall and all around the room. Then maybe throwing in the other colors through accents on the walls in frames and other accessories as well as through bedding, pillows and rugs.

Thanks for your ideas...

Keep them coming guys she is enjoying this as much as I am getting ideas. We are moving in 6/6/08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,237,309 times
Thank you all so much for all the ideas, opinions and suggestions, please keep them coming. Move is on 6/6/08 so still have time to finalize the idea's but also getting close to making decisions.

So far we've got this going....

3 Walls - top half sky blue, bottom half a like a mix of lime and kelly green, middle will be a wood frame/panel painted in a deep blue (navy/royal/indigo) along with door frame and the door itself sky blue.

4th Wall - Chalkboard/magnetic paint in deep purple tone

Picture frames on wall - deep purple

Rug - same blue as door frames and wall panel deep blue (navy/royal/indigo)

OHHHHHH to be 15 again.... NOT. LOL

Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 AM

6 posts, read 15,637 times
Default I need some help to.

hey. my name is Chasity. and I have 3 girls there a hand full. ones name is Emma and she is 16 and the 2 others are twins and there names are Maggie and Mariah and there 3.

well see we are getting ready to move over there to Seattle and now the girls want to do there rooms.. see Maggie and Mariah don't really care to much they just say they want it to be pretty but I want it to be something cute that they will like for a while.. untile they hit the age where they want to change it.... and Emma is 16 so she wants het room to be cool and she wants it to be fun and different and crazy she keeps telling my but she is stumped and so am I.... I really liked the Chalkboard paint idea... thank you.. I gave that to her and she thought that was cool.. but now we just need some more..

so if anyone could help or give me some websites for any of my girls that would be great thank you.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 AM

6,851 posts, read 14,126,058 times
Take a look at the Rate my space.com website. You have have pages of idea's to look thru. It's a great site to get ideas.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 AM

23,957 posts, read 33,926,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzie Mai View Post
hey. my name is Chasity. and I have 3 girls there a hand full. ones name is Emma and she is 16 and the 2 others are twins and there names are Maggie and Mariah and there 3.

well see we are getting ready to move over there to Seattle and now the girls want to do there rooms.. see Maggie and Mariah don't really care to much they just say they want it to be pretty but I want it to be something cute that they will like for a while.. untile they hit the age where they want to change it.... and Emma is 16 so she wants het room to be cool and she wants it to be fun and different and crazy she keeps telling my but she is stumped and so am I.... I really liked the Chalkboard paint idea... thank you.. I gave that to her and she thought that was cool.. but now we just need some more..

so if anyone could help or give me some websites for any of my girls that would be great thank you.

I have the perfect thing for the 16 year old. We just did my 15 year old's room, it's looking great.

Does she like brown? I used a double rod on the window, Manhattan Solid Grommet-top Panel in espresso - the ones with circles are cool in person too. We liked those as well. For the under rod I used a bead panel (1 per window) that looks like turquoise, Penney's doesn't have this online, only in stores. Then I got 2 panels per window sheers Hudson Sheer by Studio, we used the teal, Jadestone. What's great about these sheers is they have buttons on the tabs which makes it easier to put on the beaded panel.

I'll tell you, the brown was a nice main color, you can use any bead's you want for the window, then those Hudson sheers come in many colors, the orange (copper canyon) looks awesome with the brown.

For the bed, Walmart has a sueded brown comforter, then I went to Target, found a sheet set with dots, brown, tan & pink, did not like the blue. Turns out the pink was nice as an accent color with the brown & blue. I went to Ross or Marshalls for large & medium pillows, the large are brown the medium are brown with a blue & tan design, then I set her bed up as a couch. I still need to buy a daybed frame. We also found a few blue accessories at Ross, a cool heavy jar that holds her change.

For the little girls you can omit the beads on the windows, you could either do the brown bedding like their big sister but adding a pink or purple accent color or you can pick something different. Walmart also sells the comforter in a baby blue or purple. Penneys has a lot of kids/teens bedding. Sears has one or two that were cute.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,945,447 times
For the teenager, why don't you have her pick out one piece that she really likes and then form a plan around that--perhaps a comforter or rug.

If she is creative, look on the HGTV website--they are always doing simple but neat paintings. One idea they use repeatedly is using a projector to project an image onto a wall or canvas. They outline the image right onto the wall, then they paint by number. It turns out really neat. Don't know where you would get a projector, but if she does it onto canvas, a teacher at school might let her use one at school.

If I had little girls, I would do their room in fairys. I have always loved fairies and there are so many items out there. Lets see, I would paint their walls and ceiling light blue, with clouds on the ceiling. Then I would paint oversized grass and flowers on the bottom, starting at the floor and going up about three or four feet. Paint in some butterflies, ladybugs, and caterpillars, and if I was feeling lucky, some fairies and maybe even a gnome. They also sell gauzy butterflies that hang down from the ceiling (and I imagine you can find easy plans to make your own online). Finish off with a fuzzy green throw rug.

Sigh, sometimes I wish I had girls...

Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have the perfect thing for the 16 year old. We just did my 15 year old's room, it's looking great.

Does she like brown? I used a double rod on the window, Manhattan Solid Grommet-top Panel in espresso - the ones with circles are cool in person too. We liked those as well. For the under rod I used a bead panel (1 per window) that looks like turquoise, Penney's doesn't have this online, only in stores. Then I got 2 panels per window sheers Hudson Sheer by Studio, we used the teal, Jadestone. What's great about these sheers is they have buttons on the tabs which makes it easier to put on the beaded panel.

I'll tell you, the brown was a nice main color, you can use any bead's you want for the window, then those Hudson sheers come in many colors, the orange (copper canyon) looks awesome with the brown.

For the bed, Walmart has a sueded brown comforter, then I went to Target, found a sheet set with dots, brown, tan & pink, did not like the blue. Turns out the pink was nice as an accent color with the brown & blue. I went to Ross or Marshalls for large & medium pillows, the large are brown the medium are brown with a blue & tan design, then I set her bed up as a couch. I still need to buy a daybed frame. We also found a few blue accessories at Ross, a cool heavy jar that holds her change.

For the little girls you can omit the beads on the windows, you could either do the brown bedding like their big sister but adding a pink or purple accent color or you can pick something different. Walmart also sells the comforter in a baby blue or purple. Penneys has a lot of kids/teens bedding. Sears has one or two that were cute.

Thank you!

I told Emma about your ideas she thought it was great.. she loved how the you chose bold then kinda bright..

ummmmm......... so thank you again for your ideas..

I would still love if anyone would give us more. Thank you

Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
For the teenager, why don't you have her pick out one piece that she really likes and then form a plan around that--perhaps a comforter or rug.

If she is creative, look on the HGTV website--they are always doing simple but neat paintings. One idea they use repeatedly is using a projector to project an image onto a wall or canvas. They outline the image right onto the wall, then they paint by number. It turns out really neat. Don't know where you would get a projector, but if she does it onto canvas, a teacher at school might let her use one at school.

If I had little girls, I would do their room in fairys. I have always loved fairies and there are so many items out there. Lets see, I would paint their walls and ceiling light blue, with clouds on the ceiling. Then I would paint oversized grass and flowers on the bottom, starting at the floor and going up about three or four feet. Paint in some butterflies, ladybugs, and caterpillars, and if I was feeling lucky, some fairies and maybe even a gnome. They also sell gauzy butterflies that hang down from the ceiling (and I imagine you can find easy plans to make your own online). Finish off with a fuzzy green throw rug.

Sigh, sometimes I wish I had girls...

Thank you..

My little girls will love that idea......

I will take that.. it might be a little hard to paint...but if I can get my mom to help it could be sumple she is an amazing painter. LOL

but thank you again.
it really helped me.

I am sorry that you don't have little girls but if it helps boys are easier..
HAHA
there is so much drama when they hit the age where they care what they look like..
but they are so much fun to watch grow up.. and to dress up in the cute little dresses..
so sorry..
thank you again!

if anyone wanted to give me so more ideas that would be great too.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,945,447 times
Too bad you don't live close by--I would love to paint the younger girls' room! I don't get to excerise my creativity enough these days...

Yes, boys are definitely easier--at least in the teen years. Everyone wishing me luck in having a girl the second time around, I was like What? I lived through the girl drama, don't need it again! Unfortunately, I have found that each sex brings on it's difficult period. Little boys trash and destroy everything, while outsiders continually have this look on their face that just screams "Why can't you control them."

Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM

23,957 posts, read 33,926,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzie Mai View Post
Thank you!

I told Emma about your ideas she thought it was great.. she loved how the you chose bold then kinda bright..

ummmmm......... so thank you again for your ideas..

I would still love if anyone would give us more. Thank you
I'll have to see if I can get pictures, doubt the pictures will do it justice.
I ended up finding 3 fur blankets at Ross, $20 each. My girl wants to keep the beige one as a blanket, then I'm going to cut up one of the 2 blue ones and make pillow shams out of them. I found those European pillow's at JC Penney, buy 1 get 1 for $1. I'm going to do various size fur pillows. I need to find something pink because it needs one color that will pop.

The window beads are really cool. I wish I could afford to do that on more windows lol They were originally $50 each but I got them on sale. With Penneys everything goes on sale online you then do a google search for JC Penney coupon code you can usually get another 10%-25% off that way.

If she does like beads, be sure to look all over Penney's site because they also have them in the kids bedding section. If you need help feel free to send me a direct message.

At another place I go to, someone was doing their childs room with colors from a fairy book. It was going to be green & purple. Be sure to check those comforters out at Walmart, they are the softest comforters I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting