Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 AM

270 posts, read 838,962 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I work from home and am planning on having 1 child. But I would rather live in an apartment than a house (I'm not the type to fill a house with stuff and apartments/condos are cheaper and in more desirable areas to me)

For those of you who are in a similar situation... what do you think of my plan? I'm just asking because I've never lived with 2 other people in a 2 bedroom place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,774,439 times
Plenty of people do it all over the world, especially in big cities. I don;t see the problem.
The only thing you need to be conscious of is that you will have to be with the child when s/he wants to go outdoors much longer, as you won't have a fenced yard for them to play in, and the playground is more likely to be across busy roads.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Kids take up a lot of space. Where would you work in a 2 bedroom apartment?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
It's definitely doable. My son and I lived in a two bedroom apartment when I was single. I don't think kids take up any more space than you allow them to.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,900,071 times
My family lived in a two-bedroom apartment until we bought our house. It was pretty crowded with two adults and two kids.

If you live somewhere where apartment living is the norm, like NYC, then it wouldn't be a bad thing. Otherwise, your kid will probably hear stuff from her classmates about living in an apartment...I know my kids heard stuff.

I decided to buy a house because I was tired of shoddy repairs or things going unrepaired...for example, the apartment we moved out of had a water leak that dripped used liquid from the toilet upstairs onto my kids while they used their toilet, and the complex said it was just leaks from the guy upstairs not using a shower curtain. And I couldn't use the washing machine because the plumbing wasn't any good...I don't know, as I got older I got less able to live in unpleasant conditions. I felt like a bad parent when my kids had to put up with something messy or unsafe because the apartment complex wouldn't fix it.

Also, depending on where you live, houses can be safer than apartments...less likely to be broken into and much less risk of fire.

It's also nicer to have a back yard for the kids to play in, and a garage to store all the bikes, scooters, etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,805 times
Do what's more comfortable for you, no need to do what most people do. And its a good lesson to teach your kids that you don't have to follow the pack and live in excess of what you need. You'll also have less cleaning, and more time to do fun stuff and more money for vacations. If you feel you need more room, you can always upsize, but once you do, I've found that's it hard to downsize.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,824,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Kids take up a lot of space. Where would you work in a 2 bedroom apartment?
^This. Will you have enough work space? Also, a space you'll be able to keep closed to the kid?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
It's fine for a couple years. Then I would think you'd want a 3 bedroom apartment so you can use one room to work and for storage.

Bigger kids take up a lot of space, you need a place for their bikes, toys, pets, books, and friends. They need plenty of outdoor space also so you need to consider that, they can't sit indoors all day.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

452 posts, read 899,158 times
You will be fine with a 2 bedroom apt, people live in smaller spaces with more people than that. Keep the place well organized and know that your child does not need every toy under the world or baby gadget, the only thing the child needs is your love and your arms for hugging and holding. You need to have the knowledge and confidence that you can do this also, if you have all of this you will do great!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's fine for a couple years. Then I would think you'd want a 3 bedroom apartment so you can use one room to work and for storage.

Bigger kids take up a lot of space, you need a place for their bikes, toys, pets, books, and friends. They need plenty of outdoor space also so you need to consider that, they can't sit indoors all day.
I disagree. We grew up in a two bedroom apartment. We utilized our parks system. We did not need a back yard to play in.

Most apartment buildings have storage *somewhere* for things like bikes. We did have a dog but not until we were teens (but in the same apartment). Becoming space saver savvy will help with space issues. My mom was a pro at keeping our hundreds of books and dozens of board games neatly put away & easily accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting