Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times

Advertisements

I always do a garden and grow some "high rent" veggies.
Asparagus, snow peas, lettuce, herbs, strawberries, raspberries...saves a lot even in season.

I don't bother with things like potatoes, onions, carrots - harder to grow (for me) and cheap (at least until recently!) to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My husband is the only one here who eats tomatoes, other than in ketchup and spag sauce. Until I have the time, need (and will) to make those myself, it's easier to just buy the 3-4 tomatoes he eats each month.

The containers from IKEA... are they containers you store them in, or dry the herbs in? I really don't know what I'm doing here. I have a natural "green thumb" (everything I attempt to grow flourishes), but maybe I should buy a book or two.
The containers are for the herbs once they are dry. I can grow a huge lot of herbs, dry them and use them all year for basically pennies. The containers are a one time cost. I dry the herbs in the kitchen. It generally takes about 4 days in the summer when its warm.

Buying a book might help. But meeting other gardeners in your area would be more helpful. Sometimes there are garden clubs that meet at the local rec center. If you have a local nursery (not home dept type) see if they offer the master gardner classes. Many do and I found those classes to be great. They deal with your area's climate, soil, etc.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I guess I can include this on this thread-- All 3 of my daughters are now raising young kids. All 3 have been given a dose of reality lately by the high cost of feeding their family. I know that they could use some $ help but my wife and I have chosen to let them struggle a little. Its part of living and learning.Dont get me wrong. We would never let our children/grandchildren go hungry. We just want them to be creative and learn tyo adapt and prioritize.
Your doing the right thing! Lean times have made my husband and I get creative with raising our young kids.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:01 PM

159 posts, read 517,344 times
Inthesierras, thanks for the HCW link, I registered and am thrilled.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy234 View Post
Inthesierras, thanks for the HCW link, I registered and am thrilled.
Your welcome! Its a great place to learn about shopping the sales and what coupons are available. I hope you can save like we have, its been great.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 PM

437 posts, read 631,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I can`t get over how much a gallon of milk is here...$5.32.
Heck, we need to buy a cow, goat, or something!
I thought that was just us! But it could be worse. My sister is a schoolteacher in east Dallas, and she sent me a picture where a gallon of milk was $6.69!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting