Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 AM

159 posts, read 519,016 times

Advertisements

Starbucks Latte for less than half bucks:

1/2 cup hot milk + 1 spoon instant coffee + 1/2 cup evaporated milk + sugar as required.

Mix well and pour it in your coffee mug and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM

428 posts, read 2,448,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
You will definitly save a ton on the generics. We buy generics on the stuff that doesn't matter. You can save 50...75% by buying store brand stuff. My wife is a bodywash type of girl....I pretty much just do bar soap. Body wash is expensive if you buy name brand stuff. Dove bodywash is like $5 for about a 16 oz bottle. The Target brand is like $2 and it's virtually the same stuff! There are some things I don't like to skimp on but stuff like that what does it matter what the brand is? Sugar for example. You cannot tell the difference between name brand sugar and a generic. You just can't. And the price difference can be amazing.
Just FYI.....Not saying one is better or worse, but usually the cheaper sugar is beet sugar, and the more expensive is cane sugar.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
You will definitly save a ton on the generics. We buy generics on the stuff that doesn't matter. You can save 50...75% by buying store brand stuff. My wife is a bodywash type of girl....I pretty much just do bar soap. Body wash is expensive if you buy name brand stuff. Dove bodywash is like $5 for about a 16 oz bottle. The Target brand is like $2 and it's virtually the same stuff! There are some things I don't like to skimp on but stuff like that what does it matter what the brand is? Sugar for example. You cannot tell the difference between name brand sugar and a generic. You just can't. And the price difference can be amazing.

I did some research on google as to what 'ingredients' go into making a liquid soap or bar soap. I did the same to find out what went into making the lotions, and it was shocking. It has some really bad stuff in it and the skin is so absorbing. It absorbs all the chemicals and stores it in the body, and over time, as we age, small mutations occur in our body. The soap/ lotion alternatives I use are pretty simple and safe, especially for my kids. Now don't come back telling me how wrong I am or how important it is for me to whatever blah you think of. I have already recieved an earful from my friends and relatives just because I told them that soaps and lotions are not so important and alternatives just work fine. I did get blasted for my 'unhealthy' behaviors, unhygenic, and unsanitized hazardous environtment I am presenting my family. But we are absolutely fine, and infact thriving too. This message is for those who would get the 'light on' after reading my post.

Thankyou,
Amy

Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,405,672 times
Great ideas Amy! We have taken advantage of learning to cook with beans. We have made everything from turkey chili, refried beans to baked beans using simple ingredients that are very afforable in bulk. I like making things from scratch, it does take some thinking ahead to soak beans, prepare menus. But it's not too hard. I also found some great bulk recipes on hill billy housewife, and my family really likes the taste.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Great ideas Amy! We have taken advantage of learning to cook with beans. We have made everything from turkey chili, refried beans to baked beans using simple ingredients that are very afforable in bulk. I like making things from scratch, it does take some thinking ahead to soak beans, prepare menus. But it's not too hard. I also found some great bulk recipes on hill billy housewife, and my family really likes the taste.

Thankyou. Thinking ahead and planning are super important. I have a book in which I have a list of where to find everything I have in the house. Also, it includes recipes, activities for children and its timings etc. All the important phone numbers, who owes us what, what we owe to others (the usual $1 or $2 you borrow or lend friends) and so on. Eating out is banned in my house. We just bought some organic seeds and little plants have sprouted out. We do not eat meat, but eat eggs and diary. Another great investment has been the little hand held shark cleaner. It is a little steamer, and I use this regularly to sterilize my sink, stove, grouts and backsplash. I also use it to clean potty and the occassional clothes that need to be ironed quickly.

Another big money saver has been those orange food saver boxes from Sharper Image. Cilantro lasts for over two weeks, and bread for over a month. I highly recommend these two products to the 'super money savers' out there.

For 'boo boo's' I always keep Aloe vera gel (about $8 ) from GNC always ready in the fridge. I also use it to clear up acne, and in the conditioning hair mix. Real money saver.

Use club soda for windows (glass cleaner substitute) my friend recommended this, but I have not tried it yet.

Let me know if any of you are interested in more recipes. I would be glad to post them. I enjoy the thought that people out there have actually found my ideas helpful, and your input keeps me going.

I will be checking this thread often to 'get' any more new ideas from y'all to implement in my doll house.

Chao for now.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM

603 posts, read 2,370,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
The other thing I realize is even more expensive grocery store food is cheaper than carry-out/eating out, and that's where I've tried to cut back.

Also, I do try to shop some organic and I've found that the organic prices have held steady, while the regular prices have gone up, so there's less of a gap between the prices.
I agree; we've been buying organic for the past 5 years (ever since my son was born) and those prices have held steady. We don't eat out too often and we avoid buying processed foods as much as possible. We're in an organic produce co-op and the prices are cheap! Our bodies don't need all that processed food and meat anyways. We still eat meat but not every day, substituting beans and eggs for the protein. Also, buy local whenever possible.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,990,088 times
I'll be attempting container gardening this year. I've never grown anything but flowers and houseplants, but if I'm successful this year, next year I'll expand.

I'm attempting herbs (I use them rarely, but when I do, they're like $4 for the tiniest bit!), carrots, cukes and watermelons. Other than lettuce, apples and grapes, these are the produce we eat the most often.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'll be attempting container gardening this year. I've never grown anything but flowers and houseplants, but if I'm successful this year, next year I'll expand.

I'm attempting herbs (I use them rarely, but when I do, they're like $4 for the tiniest bit!), carrots, cukes and watermelons. Other than lettuce, apples and grapes, these are the produce we eat the most often.
You should do well with those veggies and container gardens. Tomato's also do well in large containers. I like to grow herbs, then dry them for use later in the year. I found some great containers at IKEA and have been using those for dried herbs.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,990,088 times
My husband is the only one here who eats tomatoes, other than in ketchup and spag sauce. Until I have the time, need (and will) to make those myself, it's easier to just buy the 3-4 tomatoes he eats each month.

The containers from IKEA... are they containers you store them in, or dry the herbs in? I really don't know what I'm doing here. I have a natural "green thumb" (everything I attempt to grow flourishes), but maybe I should buy a book or two.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,578,839 times
I guess I can include this on this thread-- All 3 of my daughters are now raising young kids. All 3 have been given a dose of reality lately by the high cost of feeding their family. I know that they could use some $ help but my wife and I have chosen to let them struggle a little. Its part of living and learning.Dont get me wrong. We would never let our children/grandchildren go hungry. We just want them to be creative and learn tyo adapt and prioritize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting