Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

The recycling craze in California has made its way into legislation that, again, seeks to dictate to and punish parents who choose to discipline their children by spanking them.

West Coast 'spanking ban' bill returns (OneNewsNow.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
What constitutes as spanking - Any form of reprimanding through touch? Beating the behind? There is a difference between a slight swat on the behind to get the child's attention and taking a belt to that behind.

But.. this isn't surprising coming from California.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
But.. this isn't surprising coming from California.
Really...this state is truly going to the dogs! Glad I left this state...just wants to be a nanny and keeping parents from doing the right thing!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:05 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Really...this state is truly going to the dogs! Glad I left this state...just wants to be a nanny and keeping parents from doing the right thing!
I raised 3 highly sucessful daughters. All 3 of them got their little tushies spanked from time to time! They are no worse off for it!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM

82 posts, read 192,797 times
I'm not a parent, in fact 99% sure I'm childfree, but I hand it to you parents these days. It cannot be easy parenting when you have to deal with the public making your parenting decisions for you. A father can't hold hands with his daughter without being accused of being a pedophile, you can't spank your kids or people with accuse you of abuse, you can't raise your voice because people will think you're verbally abusive, ect. Good parents, the kind who discipline and have a parent-led household instead of allowing the children to be in charge, are getting the shaft. I don't envy you guys at all.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbmac View Post
I'm not a parent, in fact 99% sure I'm childfree, but I hand it to you parents these days. It cannot be easy parenting when you have to deal with the public making your parenting decisions for you. A father can't hold hands with his daughter without being accused of being a pedophile, you can't spank your kids or people with accuse you of abuse, you can't raise your voice because people will think you're verbally abusive, ect. Good parents, the kind who discipline and have a parent-led household instead of allowing the children to be in charge, are getting the shaft. I don't envy you guys at all.
You are right! I spanked my daughter (she really had it coming!) and was threatened by someone that they were going to call on me! I was outraged! That person would be the first to judge me if I had done nothing, too. People are too nosey. It was a spanking on her butt with my hand, not a beating with a whip!

Another time I swatted my 4 year old for spitting in the grocery store (she got 1 warning first, then did it again) and an older woman actually THANKED me! Said she was tired of seeing parents not take responsibility for their childrens behavior! That was great!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,563 times
I think the bill will be rejected again when comes down to the vote.....people dont want, or need the government in their homes. If you are a parent that chooses not to spank, then thats your way but people need to stop worrying about what other parents are doing in their homes. Its a shame with everything going on in todays society that the state of California is spending is money (which btw, the state is broke) and effort worrying about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting