Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,705,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Maybe the negative responses stem from not knowing how large Jacksonville is. If you had said Gainesville, I would agree with the negative posters. Jacksonville is huge, not in population necessarily, but in area. It covers 875 square miles, compared to 55 square miles for Miami, and 113.7 square miles for Orlando.
I am just going to say NO and I lived in one of the barrier island towns outside of Jacksonville. It is really not that big a city. Yes, geographically it is spread out, but there aren’t that many people there and the traffic is relatively light compared to the other FL cities. It took me like 30-45 minutes max to get anywhere in the city. I lived on the opposite side of the city from the airport and that was a 30-minute ride. I am from the Tampa area and there drives that were much shorter might take an hour or even 90 minutes in rush hour. It isn’t just about geography but how long it can take you to get somewhere. Jacksonville is sparsely populated for the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 9,115,192 times
Daughter went to college out of state and son is currently in college even further out of state. We raised them to become independent thinking adults that didn't need us. Now that said, I would love to retire to the town where she went to college. Beautiful location with all the things you want in a retirement town -- culture, access to big city while being a small town, plenty of outdoors fishing, camping, hiking, boating. Unfortunately a couple of retirement magazines have included it in their top 10 lists so there they go, ruining a good thing. But she's already graduated, has a job, and living on her own, so it wouldn't be a case of moving near by; we'd actually be further away.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:37 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,992,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I live near my parents does that make them bad for living near me ?
I have no idea why you would say that, we give her more freedoms and let her do more things on her own than many other parents within reason if her age . It’s nothing to do with cutting the cord
No living near your parents does not mean you haven't cut the cord necessarily. However, following your daughter to her college town is not cutting the cord. She is an adult, let her be one.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 9,809,257 times
Sounds ridiculous to me.

Part of the point in going to college is learning to be your own person, breaking away from the parents, being responsible for yourself, preparing yourself for a life based upon your own talents and resources, etc.

And what about your own careers? Wouldn't they take a hit from changing jobs like that? For many people, they have a history and reputation at their workplace that they would be abandoning, losing opportunities to advance. In some cases they would lose their years accrued toward their pension. Not to mention the cost involved in selling a home and purchasing another. And then when your kid graduates and gets a job somewhere across the country, now you are living in this place why?

Send your kid off to college, and then move wherever you please if you really want to, and can afford whatever changes that brings.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 9,809,257 times
^^^posted this before reading the whole thread.

After reading all, it seems more like your daughter is not comfortable living away from you. So maybe her going away to college would be better for her learning to be independent of you. Are you ready to retire now? What happens with your jobs if you move?

Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,391,561 times
Sounds kind of weird to move to where your kids goes to school.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,492,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

After reading all, it seems more like your daughter is not comfortable living away from you. So maybe her going away to college would be better for her learning to be independent of you. Are you ready to retire now? What happens with your jobs if you move?

I don’t get why some posts seem so against it? My daughter is 16, has a job and is never home , does her own laundry etc etc what is wrong if she loves her parents and is ok with them living in the same city as where she goes to college. Tryst me when I say she’s rarely home and is NOT needy or clingy . Just mentioning this as no one seems to believe me lol

Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Sounds kind of weird to move to where your kids goes to school.
I know if many parents who have done it? Never seemed weird to me as long as they don’t annoy the kid

Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Husband is an RN
I am a vet tech, no issues to relocate

Old 04-18-2019, 03:37 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,616 times
People have all different kinds of relationships with their children. You do not need to defend yours. From what you describe, your daughter seems rather independent. If you and your daughter are fine with the arrangement, then I do not see a problem with you living in the same area as her.

I know a couple of people who retired (early) immediately after their kids graduated high school. Both families moved to Florida and their children are attending college there. I do not see any helicopter parenting going on in those situations. The kids wanted to move to Florida. They were given the option to chose their own college. Both chose colleges near their parents. Neither of them lives with their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting