Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh I so agree with this post!! Seriously..... my first born tried some of this mouthing off stuff when he was a teenager...did not bode well for him at ALL. He did make the decision to move out before he was 18...his choice, when he discovered that there were rules that WOULD be followed....when he found out that he COULDN'T make the rules of the house and HE was not the head of the house and never WOULD be. And no, we did NOT support him after he left home, even though he was under 18. It was his choice, they were HIS consequences. Needless to say, I have not had the same issues with my younger 3 children! They know who the heads of this house are....who makes the rules, and that there are consequences for breaking them. Good for you parents out there who set boundaries and keep them.....AND impose consequences for stepping over the line. Because of you, there will be SOME future adults out there who know right from wrong and understand that there are consequences for both!
It was funny what my aunt and uncle did to my cousin. He didn't like their rules about keeping his room relatively tidy and moved out to live with friends. After a few months he wanted to move home because his friends were pigs and he was tired of living with filth, so they let him move back but started charging him the same rent he was having to pay with his friends. He squawked but they reminded him that certainly if he could pay that amount to live in filth, then he could pay that amount for a private room in a nice clean house. So he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
I just did something similar, but easier. My husband didn't want to deal with the hassle of storing a door someplace, so he put a plastic covered bike chain, cut just right, attached it to the wall, so we padlocked the chain around the doorknob to hold it open. Same result. No privacy. Just locked it open this morning. When she took a shower and asked if she could close it just for a couple of minutes I told her no. "Nobody else is around and I'm sitting here where I can't see into your room. So go for it."

Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
There was NO door slamming in our house. They knew there would be a consequence they would not appreciate. To this day, as grown adults, if they are visiting and a door accidently slams shut they'll call out, "Sorry! Accident!"

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
My brilliant teen aged son quit school in his Jr year. I told him if he thought he was gonna lay in bed all day while his dad and I were at work he had another thought coming. So, he decided to move in with one of his friends. Friend's mother called and wanted money to help feed him. I asked her if she remembered me calling her and asking her to take him in. No? Then, get both of them off their butts and out to work. But, if he was really hungry I would bring over a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and would meet him at Penney's outlet if he really needed shoes or jeans. That plan did not work long for him. He has since then, gotten his college degree and has been on his own for many years. But, he has never forgotten that little lesson.

Grandson loves to slam doors and huff upstairs. I make him close it several times and walk up and down the steps until he gets it out of his system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting