Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:32 PM

178 posts, read 230,255 times

Advertisements

So.... tricky situation and I have my own opinions on it will get into that later. Two friends used to crush on each other probably still do both have sons close in age. My friend has a son and and a friend we both know since school days also has a son that was born around the same time.

Now they both i think had a crush on each other for many years but for some reason they never crossed into having anything substantially intimate. They still kept in contact throughout the years and we all hung out a few times within that last say 6 years. He says they still chat off and on every few months and we all last saw each other a year ago.

She brought up to him "hey we should have a play date with our sons". Problem is he is not single and she is and he is toying with the idea o fdoing it.

My opinion is for him to completely avoid it. His woman and our friend don't know each other and i dont see how he will be able to have a play date without his woman coming along and I suspect our friend is trying to see if he will bring her or not. I'm telling him although she could be coming from a sincere place, he has to now that she also wants to see him and catch up in person. He questions why she would ask for the playdate as opposed just seeing him.

Oh their sons have met once before. Small community/ circle of people where our families know each other. I say keep the sons out of it. Whats your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I found out after my son was born that an old high school friend lived right near me. He has a daughter my son's age and we've had many playdates. Actually, they're the only ones that didn't leave me feeling exhausted and like pulling my hair out. I eventually met his wife and he my husband. It's never been a problem.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I found out after my son was born that an old high school friend lived right near me. He has a daughter my son's age and we've had many playdates. Actually, they're the only ones that didn't leave me feeling exhausted and like pulling my hair out. I eventually met his wife and he my husband. It's never been a problem.
For some reason i think men are less inclined to feel a way about their wife taking their child on a playdate with her male friend. In this case one is single and the other isnt? Would you have has a problem with your husband having a play date with his female friend who is single? That you don't know?

Old 09-28-2018, 02:57 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
My husband has never had any close female friends, the kind he would hang out with alone. So it would be weird if he suddenly wanted to hang out with a woman I never heard of, alone. But I always had a lot of male friends so it isn't unusual to him if I see them or hang out with our kids. I recently met another friend for lunch as well with our kids. It doesn't seem like either of their wives have minded either. I guess it depends on the situation, but in general I don't see anything wrong with it. If someone was looking to hook up with an old flame, a playdate seems like a really bad choice of ways to set that up!

ETA - If I joined a gym and met some new man that I wanted to hang out with, alone, all the time that would probably be suspicious. To say the least!

Also - I'm not really sure that single has much to do with it. The single person knows the other one is not available for dating or a relationship. If someone is just looking for sex then that's a possibility for many even if they're married.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Smart adults don't use their children to manipulate people into having sex with them.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:45 PM

338 posts, read 310,633 times
It sounds like she wants to set up a play date with a friend. Soo... What's wrong with that?

Obviously I'm only getting one side of this, but everything else you've said so far just sounds like conjectures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
For some reason i think men are less inclined to feel a way about their wife taking their child on a playdate with her male friend. In this case one is single and the other isnt? Would you have has a problem with your husband having a play date with his female friend who is single? That you don't know?
No, I wouldn't have a problem with that, because 1) It's a playdate. And 2) I trust my husband.

If anything, I'd be happy to have some downtime/ alone time for a bit! :-)

Old 10-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
It sounds like she wants to set up a play date with a friend. Soo... What's wrong with that?

Obviously I'm only getting one side of this, but everything else you've said so far just sounds like conjectures.

No, I wouldn't have a problem with that, because 1) It's a playdate. And 2) I trust my husband.

If anything, I'd be happy to have some downtime/ alone time for a bit! :-)

Downtime is what i would say to my wife although i'm sure she would want me to come for the sake of me knowing who our children are around.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
It would be wise for him to bring his wife with him to introduce her to his friend and from that time on have his wife bring his son to the playdates.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Is your friend asking for your advice? If not, stay out of it and keep your mouth shut.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:11 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
It would be wise for him to bring his wife with him to introduce her to his friend and from that time on have his wife bring his son to the playdates.
If they didn’t have a history I would not normally see an issue but I agree, just bring the wife along and introduce her to friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting