Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,666,474 times

Advertisements

She did something that a lot of people cannot do. To stay clean from drugs is very very hard. So I'm sure that in age 36 she can manage by her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM

6,248 posts, read 4,667,487 times
I think you should talk to her like the adult you need her to be. Explain about your approaching retirement and financial concerns for yourself, as well as her and her child, and let her see you as a person with problems that you have to solve for yourself, not the fairy godmother who always bails her out.

I agree that what she has accomplished is not to be taken lightly, so I wouldn't put the job down. She might lack the confidence to put her record out there by trying for something better. Just talk and put a few new ideas in her head and see if she steps up to the plate.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 PM

469 posts, read 401,200 times
Her felony will be a burden to overcome. She probably knows this and is hesitant to apply for jobs she knows she will get turned down for.

I suggest that you pitch in one last time and pay for an attorney to petition for her to have her record expunged. That way, the felony is dismissed and she can honestly, legally say she does not have a felony. With seven years clean and no issues since her felony, she should have a good chance. That's assuming it was not from something like murder, or sexual assault, etc. Each state has it's own rules; you should google for your state and the jurisdiction that convicted her. In CA I think it costs about $1500, but that could vary wildly.

After this, there is nothing holding her back from getting a better job and you can retire in peace.

Kudos for her getting her life back in order!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:17 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,187,833 times
I think ... the OP has been helping at the level she has because there is a grandaughter in the home.

It's easier to do the tough love thing when there is not a child in harms way. On the other hand; the OP's daughter needs to step it up a bit because she has a daughter in the home. I would struggle with this one too.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,347,378 times
Having a culinary degree is great but the good jobs can be competitive and hard to come by. Unfortunately it may not be easy finding one with health insurance especially where a felony is involved.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,320,041 times
Rent and phone bills are not "emergencies." Those are expected monthly expenses. Stop paying them for her. As others said, if she has a degree, she should be able to get a job as a chef or sous chef. Those are more stable, and longer term, and pay better.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:21 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,214,476 times
She's going to top out at about $16 an hour as a cook, $45K as a sous chef, and about $60K plus bonus as a head chef.

At 36 she's into her career which is the culinary business and starting over to have better hours would be an even bigger salary decrease.

She needs to start climbing the corporate ladder. She'll at least get a 401K and benefits. I would start with either Outback, Cheesecake, or PF Changs. They pay kitchen help very well.

To the person who suggested a food truck? Those people make no money. Fastest way to lose a million bucks? Open a restaurant.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:34 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,543,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
This ends when you stop enabling it as so many parents of our generation do. You stop treating her like a dependant and expect her to handle her "emergencies" (aka poor planning) like any other adult does, on her own.
Amen! Sorry I can give you any more reps right now. Why should CD care, just askin'.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Rent is an emergency expense? Yes, with a 3-day vacate notice. Next thing is out on the street.

I agree that she should look for a culinary position with benefits but ... does she usually take your suggestions seriously?
Not always. Who wants their dad to pick out a job for them? I get it.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
Her felony will be a burden to overcome. She probably knows this and is hesitant to apply for jobs she knows she will get turned down for.

I suggest that you pitch in one last time and pay for an attorney to petition for her to have her record expunged. That way, the felony is dismissed and she can honestly, legally say she does not have a felony. With seven years clean and no issues since her felony, she should have a good chance. That's assuming it was not from something like murder, or sexual assault, etc. Each state has it's own rules; you should google for your state and the jurisdiction that convicted her. In CA I think it costs about $1500, but that could vary wildly.

After this, there is nothing holding her back from getting a better job and you can retire in peace.

Kudos for her getting her life back in order!
Center for Justice here will do it for $200 (Remove the felony.) But she has to make the moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting