Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,591,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
To those of you with boys in the 8-14 range, are the boys rough with each others' bikes around?
my son needs a bigger bike and I'd like to get him a nice mountain bike
Yes they use each others bikes and they are "thrashed".

Get him a cheap mountain bike until he is old enough to appreciate the worth of a good one, will take care of the chain, brakes, and spokes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,591,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
It's not that they're literally throwing bikes (I think it happened once during a heated argument), but that they tend to go after each others' bikes when they have their spats with each other.
Um, no not on my watch.

If my kid was doing this he wouldn't have a bike, period, and if his "friends" are doing this, he would not be allowed to play with them.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:17 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,149,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I
You should look for a bike-shop quality bike on Craigslist. It may be cheaper than buying a new mountain bike at Walmart, and it will hold up better to the occasional abuse kids give their bikes.
I was going to make the same suggestion. Craiglist or area thrift stores are the place to go for quality used bikes at bargain prices. Bike shops that allow trade-ups are another option. They usually cost more, but they offer some free servicing benefits.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,424,486 times
I raised 4 sons, and no one ever did this.

Time to parent, because it certainly wouldn't have gone without my saying something to any kid if I saw this happening in my yard.

What we accept, we teach.

Last edited by JanND; 07-12-2017 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: correct text

Old 07-12-2017, 07:16 PM

883 posts, read 497,148 times
From the answers above, I guess it depends. We used to treat our bikes pretty bad and they were bought, built, and paid for by us and we never saw anybody with a new one except maybe at Christmas. We didn't use kickstands. Only the girls had those... after all, they were girls and deserved better. But we would jump off our bikes with them still going across the yard, down the street, etc. Dump them on the ground etc. We didn't do things like stomp on each other's stuff but we certainly used them up.

Bikes are pretty fragile now-days so you probably can't do the stuff we used to do but we always had fun with our bikes; swapping parts with each other. Putting on "custom" parts, etc. The best was when somebody's dad or uncle would build them a bike with the frame upside down. Every kid in town had to see that!

I told my boys as long as they wore out there stuff I would be more than happy to buy more, and they didn't have to treat it like a piece of fine china. It's just a bicycle. Just don't let it rust down like a lot of bikes I see now-days. Personally, I think it is a waste of money to buy a multi-speed bike for a kid. They are like rolling typewriters with all the parts and no boy who has any juice or adventure in him is going to make one last the summer.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:54 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,379,878 times
We've never had the roughness with bikes, but I've found some groups of boys are just rougher than others. My boys didn't tend to hang out with rougher kids. Those kids usually didn't stick around for more than a playdate or two because my kids didn't want them there.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,083,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
But we would jump off our bikes with them still going across the yard, down the street, etc
My dad used to ride around the neighborhood with me before his dementia got bad. We had to stop riding because he was doing that, and a weird running start where he'd race down the street and then throw his leg over the bike and take off. It didn't make any sense to me, but it sounds like maybe he was just riding like he did when he was a boy.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:43 AM

3,887 posts, read 3,213,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My dad used to ride around the neighborhood with me before his dementia got bad. We had to stop riding because he was doing that, and a weird running start where he'd race down the street and then throw his leg over the bike and take off. It didn't make any sense to me, but it sounds like maybe he was just riding like he did when he was a boy.
thats some old school biking, a true talent. dad was being himself.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 3,213,788 times
with the "just turning a teen" age range, I would wait a little while for a new one. He should still be on a 20" or 24" bmx or cruising type bike. I have seen some skilled riders doing mountain biking on a bmx, it takes a special skill.

I had my first bmx at 12 yrs old, had it stolen from me, leading me to build my own bike with found parts. Many of us did it this way, since our parents were not swinging $200 away on some toy. As I learned, things like quick release hubs, and bike pegs became important necessity. I really learned and better appreciated my bike.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 AM

15,902 posts, read 20,907,700 times
We were VERY rough on our bikes growing up. Jumps, hitting dirt trails, etc.

I bent wheels almost monthly, and broke chains, broke derailleurs, etc etc. I recently found mike bike from my late teens and tried to rebuild it but discovered it more cost-effective to just buy a new bike. I beat that poor thing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting