Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:32 PM

508 posts, read 527,449 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your replies to my postings.

We trusted our kid and believed him. So we just found out that our kid has been hiding his bad grades from us all this while. We confronted him after deep probing, but he felt sorry for this. It concerns us.

We are not sure, what did contribute to his behavior . We are in a dilemma to believe, what he says.

How will we help him to rebuild his credibility?

What are the strategies work to stop this behavior moving forward?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
How old is he?

I know that all of my kids' grades are online, and we have constant access to them. My daughter's math grades started taking last semester. The only reason being that she hates math and didn't want to do it. She understands it just fine, just doesn't like it.

After several long talks, she seems to be back on track. She still hates math, but she does it now and is back to an A average. I think just knowing that we can (and do) check her grades online regularly was enough to get her behind in gear.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
It sounds like there is a back story. Do you have another thread about this? Maybe put a link to it here.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:58 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Does ]your school use an online system where grades and assignments are posted where parents can keep track of their children's performance? If so, get on it. If not, suggest the school get on it. (I don't know if elementary schools have them, but middle and high schools do.)

Old 04-02-2017, 03:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
How old is he? I'm a little shocked that could happen in this day and age. It's been awhile since my kids were young but in elementary school if there were concerns I heard from the teacher; in MS and HS all assignments and grades were available online.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My advice? Don't punish him. Come to him and say "wow, it looks like you are struggling at school. Lets work together to figure out how to help you succeed more in school". And continue this type of parenting. Because the reason why he lied was because he couldn't trust you with the truth. You will be able to work with him more, he will be more honest, and your relationship will grow.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My advice? Don't punish him. Come to him and say "wow, it looks like you are struggling at school. Lets work together to figure out how to help you succeed more in school". And continue this type of parenting. Because the reason why he lied was because he couldn't trust you with the truth. You will be able to work with him more, he will be more honest, and your relationship will grow.
I agree with this.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I agree with this.
Yep.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Thanks for your replies to my postings.

We trusted our kid and believed him. So we just found out that our kid has been hiding his bad grades from us all this while. We confronted him after deep probing, but he felt sorry for this. It concerns us.

We are not sure, what did contribute to his behavior . We are in a dilemma to believe, what he says.

How will we help him to rebuild his credibility?

What are the strategies work to stop this behavior moving forward?

Thanks for sharing.
First order of business, get him a tutor. Imagine how desperately he felt to hide this from you. Obviously he needs some help on his homework. Do you and your spouse help him?

Lots of folks don't have time between work and household chores, so a tutor makes good sense.

Discuss the lying but don't focus on that, it seems obvious that lying is not the norm for him, or you wouldn't be so caught off guard. Try to explain how you could have gotten him help sooner, encourage him to never be afraid to talk to you. You can turn this around, and don't come down so heavy that you instill fear in him....it will be self defeating and make him afraid to ask you for help.

Check your local H.S. or College and hire a good tutor to help him get caught up....then once he catches up, keep the tutor on for less frequent help, or as needed. You can find a good tutor by calling the College or H.S. offices and asking.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Move forward with positivity. Depending on his age, either help him come up with a plan to improve grades (or come up with a plan for him- i.e., tutor, parent/teacher conference). What can he change? What kind of help does he need? Sit down with him and make a plan without judgment. It's got to be hard for him to talk about it and I'm sure he's not feeling hot about it. It's probably been making him miserable and weighing on him for a while. And check online grades if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting